Need a little help on joinery - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 04-26-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

View texastiger's Photo Album My Photos
Need a little help on joinery

New to forum but been following the excellent advice given to others and need some guidance on the best joinery technique for the doors shown in the attached photo. I'm thinking glue and clamp in sections, but I would like some other opinions. Each door will be made up of various lengths and widths of pecan wood planed to 3/4". Would also like to know what type and quantity of hidden hinges that would allow for a flush mount would be best for this application. These doors will be fairly hefty and will swing out. Thanks
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-27-2015, 12:18 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It would be better if you could joint the wood together end to end first and then glue them up into the doors. Glue it together as one big door and then cut it in two. The best way to join the wood together end to end would be with a finger joint router bit. If that isn't an option you might dowel the boards together however make sure there is no dowel joint where the seams of the doors will be.

As far as the hinges I believe I would use three on each door. If you have a faceframe on your cabinet you might use one of these hinges. http://www.amazon.com/BLUM-Clip-Inse.../dp/B0036AYZ0M http://www.rockler.com/blum-soft-clo...frame-cabinets

If you won't have a faceframe you might use this hinge. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/131...frameless.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
texastiger (04-28-2015)
post #3 of 3 Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Unlike Steve (and he's not wrong in suggesting finger joints which are strong), I don't see the need for finger joints here because they are simply doors. Not a whole lot of pressure on the joints... but I wouls avoid 90* cuts on the butt joinery in the middle of the doors. Cut the but joints at any matching angles.

Steve is again correct by suggesting you build 1 oversize door and cutting it in half... but I don't have his equipment so I would build 2 separate doors, both slightly oversized. With any successful "inset" design, doors and drawers faces are always built slightly oversized and trimmed down to the perfect fit.

The major design challenge I see in your desired build will be wood movement. Wood expands and shrinks with the changing seasons but this movement is only across the wood grain - not along. Translated - you will need to allow more space on the top and bottom of your drawers.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
The Following User Says Thank You to BernieL For This Useful Post:
texastiger (04-28-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode