Need Ideas for a temporary boat frame - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 10-29-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
Need Ideas for a temporary boat frame

I,m building a strip built kayak soon and the plans have forms ( that you make from 1/2 mdf) that slide over the frame and are positioned at intervals .
The forms have a 2" x 4" slot and the "strongback" as they call it is a temporary 2'x4" frame as well as the forms.

Strip built meaning that typically 1/4" x 3/4" wood strips are glued together over a series of spaced out forms with the hull and deck done separately.
Then they are joined together (deck and hull) , the whole thing is glassed inside and out making for a very strong lightweight and stiff boat.
The company uses a plywood box half lapped idea for the frame.

I am wondering if I could use a LVL beam and rip it to the 4" ( or joint it rip and plane it to size).
The LVL would be 1.75" thick , I could rout out my slots in the forms to this smaller thickness or glue on some additional thickness to the LVL.
The important thing is to have a frame that is straight and stiff will stay straight while you build your boat.
After your hull and deck are built the frame and forms go in the burn pile ( they are temporary).
Oh yeah the frame is needs to be around 15' long.
Is LVL straight and stiff enough for the task or is there better ways? ( 2" x4" x 15')

Knot Stumped ...just confused once in a while.

Last edited by Tree Hugger; 10-29-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-29-2016, 08:52 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It seems simple enough to ....

Make the slots in your forms using a router and template to the 1.75" dimension. Locate them according to the plans along the LVL by tacking on 4" wide strips of 1/2" material on both sides that are the dimension minus the MDF thickness. These will keep the form vertical like making a dado. Now the forms are stlll removable, but will remain in place. If you go to all the trouble to make the frame and forms I would sell it or keep it disassembled rather than burn it. :smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 12 Old 10-30-2016, 06:20 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Can you post a link to the plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-30-2016, 06:51 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What is an LVL?

George
post #5 of 12 Old 10-30-2016, 08:18 AM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
What is an LVL?

George
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_veneer_lumber

Last edited by d_slat; 10-30-2016 at 08:21 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-30-2016, 09:50 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
a strong back for boat/canoe building

There are may ways to build a strong back, 2 X !2's, plywood, or a solid beam is you are suggesting:
http://dunnsolutions.dreamhosters.co...strongback.php

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 12 Old 10-30-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Yeah good idea Wood on the supports for the forms , but my question is if LVL is stiff and straight enough to use for my application ( especially after sizing it down to 4").
With the laminations only in one plane it could be noodly as heck in the other plane....maybe not...

Ok just saw your new post . The strongback in my design is inside the forms..so a 2x4 rectangle cut inside the forms.
The strongback is then supported by however you desire.

Last edited by Tree Hugger; 10-30-2016 at 10:10 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-01-2016, 02:35 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I think an LVL would indeed be noodly along its narrow length, but not top to bottom. That said, I think it would ultimately be straighter and stronger than a 15' 2X4. I'm not sure why you'd be sizing it down to 4". The taller it is, the stronger and straighter it would be, right? If you had two LVLs, you could make them into something like a half section of an I beam which I think would be super straight and strong.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-01-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Last edited by Tree Hugger; 11-01-2016 at 07:03 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Previous post pic shows the full size prints glued to 1/2" osb.
They will go to the bandsaw next and then edged sanded to size.
It's hard to see but there is a 2" x 4" rectangle through the forms for the frame that these will slide onto.
I'll use a jig to router out the rectangle.
I may experiment with some plywood glued up in to different planes and staggered joints for my frame .
The truer the frame the truer the boat.

post #11 of 12 Old 11-02-2016, 10:23 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Are you sure you're only going to make one? I've heard these things can be habit forming...
post #12 of 12 Old 11-02-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Are you sure you're only going to make one? I've heard these things can be habit forming...
Don't think so but I may just rout out copies of my forms...just in case.
My neighbor ...and it's all his fault (talked me into it)..heh heh ,is on boat two ( first was a rowing skiff and finishing up a kayak).
He had enough western red cedar trucked in to do several more ...for what reason I don't know but he will build another kayak this winter as boat two is close to being finished.
I better stick to one as my wife jaw dropped and she was speechless when I told her how much 7 boards of 1"x6"x19'
clear cedar cost me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode