Need ideas for this project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
In The Basement

View aaronhl's Photo Album My Photos
Need ideas for this project

Basically I am trying to clamp this 3/8" O.D. brass tube to this 12 degree wood wedge. The reason I want to clamp it and not fiberglass (in a model boat) is to be able to easily remove the brass tube. Looking for a simple and inexpensive way of doing it. Please share your ideas!! If you have any

I have looked into U-bolts, but only found ones that would be way too big for the project. Like 1/4" thick stock. I'm thinking more like a 6-32 rod, but cannot have the threads go through to the other side of the wood wedge.

So far the best idea I found was to use half of a split shaft collar. I would counter bore under the wood wedge to screw in from underneath. I cannot have any bolt/screw sticking out from the bottom side of the wood wedge!!

Hope this makes sense to you guys??

Thanks for the help,

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 08:57 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not sure I understand exactly your needs. Your thought about the U-Bolt suggests to me that you might be able to run a groove with a 3/8" fluting bit into two wedges. Then reverse the angle on the top wedge and screw them together or through into the floor with the rod running through it.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 03:03 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
Trying to clamp the tube to the wooden wedge? Tube looks pretty secure to me already. Maybe try a torch to heat the brass to make it soft enough to easily bend into the shape you need, then just bend it down onto the wedge. You could probably forget about the clamps then. If you still want to fasten it down, maybe some epoxy? That putty you squish up then use might work well for you. Might not since I don't know exactly what's going on there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
In The Basement

That's a good idea, I don't have a router table, so I might tray to make that with a 3/8" drill bit and splitting the block in half with a band saw. Also worried about the strength. There will be a rotating flex shaft going through the tube.

ANY OTHER IDEAS?

Here is another picture of the project.

post #5 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
In The Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Trying to clamp the tube to the wooden wedge? Tube looks pretty secure to me already. Maybe try a torch to heat the brass to make it soft enough to easily bend into the shape you need, then just bend it down onto the wedge. You could probably forget about the clamps then. If you still want to fasten it down, maybe some epoxy? That putty you squish up then use might work well for you. Might not since I don't know exactly what's going on there.
The picture is a little deceiving...the tube is actually not touching the block on the lower side. I need the tube to be stationary on a 12 degree line.

If I could not use epoxy or fiberglass the installation would be a lot cleaner and easily changed.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 04:23 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not understand the problem.

Just cut a thin stirp of sheet metal into a band that is long enough to go over the tube and leave 1/4" tab on either side. Drill a small hole into each tab. Then use small (#4?) screws to fasten the metal band to the wood. Or you could also probably use a small strip of plastic.

This will work with your current wedge if you are careful. However, I would make the wedge a little taller and file a 3/8" round resting place in the end of the wedge. Then I would also flatten it to have a better place to place the band and the screws.

George

George
post #7 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 04:31 PM

View voorhees woodworx's Photo Album My Photos
Glue it on with a medium CA and an activator?

" The second mouse, always get's the Cheese! "
post #8 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
How about another block of wood

Can you take e.g., 1in x 1in block of wood, drill 3/8in hole and then glue this to the wedge? You could shave off the bottom side to minimize the height of the glue block.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
In The Basement

I found these, going to give them a try if I can find one around here on Monday

post #10 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 PM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
Throw out your block and make a new with the support integral.

The new support is made by drilling a hole that matches the od of your tube through the new support block and then split it with a thin kerf blade.

You then glue in the base and attach the top to it with four small screws.

Or alternatively, you could just go to smallparts.com and buy a clamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
post #11 of 13 Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
In The Basement

I follow what you are describing and think that is what I will try also. I don't know what you mean by "support integral"?
post #12 of 13 Old 06-10-2012, 08:04 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhl View Post
I found these, going to give them a try if I can find one around here on Monday

If you are using a steel strap you would eventually get corrosion. ie the dissimilar metals. You can find brass flat stock at hardware stores and hobby shops and make your own. On the other hand, maybe a little corrosion makes no difference between friends.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #13 of 13 Old 06-11-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
In The Basement

I made a new block which I think will work well. Took a second try to get the block perfect...took notes so it can be easily copied. The pipe clamps didn't work at all. The brass tube would slide right out.

Used threaded inserts and set screws to hold the brass tubing. Will either epoxy or bolt the block to the floor. The main hole is 2-1/8" Long by 23/64" Wide, drilled straight 90 on the drill press. The block's angle was cut and sanded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode