Need ideas to build table top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

View Guaps's Photo Album My Photos
Need ideas to build table top

I am making a new dining table and I've hit a hurdle I haven't been able to figure out yet.

The table will be made from plywood cut into strips and put on edge. So the table top will be endgrain of plywood. I think it will look good to stain the pieces different colors. Here is a pic of half the table (to the point I have reached so far) and a small sample of what the finished surface will look like that I mocked up.

So I found 3 sheets of dumpster-diving plywood and cut them into 1.5 x 30" strips. I then drilled two holes in each strip and put a dowel through them to line them up. I have not glued anything yet. So now I need to sand the surface smooth, take it apart, stain the pieces, then glue, reassemble, and put a finish on it. But my problem is once I sand it and take it apart to stain it, when I reassemble the pieces don't line up perfectly anymore. On a table top, slight bumps from misalignment are a problem. I can't stain after assembly as the stain will bleed into neighboring pieces. I have to sand before I stain or else when I sand, the stain will come off (won't penetrate deep enough into the wood).

So I'm looking for ideas. How do i sand this table to a finish, but then take it apart and reassemble it exactly like it was before? I've been stumped for a couple weeks now. Any ideas - good, bad, ridiculous, unreasonable, and laughable - are welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited by Guaps; 01-08-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 PM
crosseyed & dyslexic

View Crusader's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe don't use glue. Maybe use all thread and run two lengths of that thru the table and put a flat washer and tighten it down with nuts.
Does that make sense?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 PM
maker of crooked things

View warped wood's Photo Album My Photos
It looks really cool, (might have to steel that design) yes i will give credit. Anyway if play is the issue lay the top out on the floor so you have a flat surface for the bottom, after sanding put back together on floor for glue up. If its still getting off are you ensuring that you are putting the back in the exact same order and orentation? Also the staining may be causeing swell. Maybe wet sand before diassmbly to pre wet the wood. Just a few ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

View Guaps's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Maybe don't use glue. Maybe use all thread and run two lengths of that thru the table and put a flat washer and tighten it down with nuts.
Does that make sense?
Makes perfect sense. I didn't fully explain the design - it's actually going to be four triangles assembled to be a square. Similar to this but with the wood running from the center out instead of across. If I use metal threaded rod, I won't be able to cut the initial block into the triangles. That's why i used wooden dowels. It's a great idea though otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warped wood View Post
It looks really cool, (might have to steel that design) yes i will give credit. Anyway if play is the issue lay the top out on the floor so you have a flat surface for the bottom, after sanding put back together on floor for glue up. If its still getting off are you ensuring that you are putting the back in the exact same order and orentation? Also the staining may be causeing swell. Maybe wet sand before diassmbly to pre wet the wood. Just a few ideas
Steel away - I read somewhere that creativity is just improving on what the last guy already did. I like that...

Great idea for the wet sanding. I didn't think about the swelling potential. I'll do that for sure. I have numbered each of the pieces so they re-assemble in the same order. Your idea to lay it on the floor gave me an idea - I could create a large, L shaped bracket to lay the pieces in so the sides line up also. I have a few extra strips I could glue up to make that form. The combination of the floor and that form would line up all the surfaces. This could work...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode