Need Help With Wedding Benches - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

View Kmnjr1226's Photo Album My Photos
Question Need Help With Wedding Benches

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on here so let me know if I'm in the wrong section for this thread.

I'm looking to make 30 8' wedding benches for a wedding in September

I found a picture online and I'm having trouble deciding the size of the legs and the proper angles. I'm pretty detail oriented so I'm trying to get it as close to the picture as possible so any help with sizing the bench helps

Thanks!

Michael
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 01:34 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
To keep them from tipping, use 22 degrees for the splay of the legs, angle them about 5 degrees. Bench seats are often 16" off the ground. Be careful what you use for paint, don't want it to mark suits and dresses. Most go with a varnished or unfinished wood seat. Don't know where you are but benches and other wedding stuff is typically rented. Sure would save time and money unless the benches will be given away as favors. http://www.goodwinrentals.com/benches-for-rent-georgia/
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammer1 For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (07-21-2015)
post #3 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer1 View Post
To keep them from tipping, use 22 degrees for the splay of the legs, angle them about 5 degrees. Bench seats are often 16" off the ground. Be careful what you use for paint, don't want it to mark suits and dresses. Most go with a varnished or unfinished wood seat. Don't know where you are but benches and other wedding stuff is typically rented. Sure would save time and money unless the benches will be given away as favors. http://www.goodwinrentals.com/benches-for-rent-georgia/

Thanks! For the material for the legs would say to use 2x6's for thelegs and 2x4's sandwhiching it together like the picture show. For the bench top what would you recommend to use to generate the appropriate width?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I hope you have a big truck or trailer to haul those on. Just thirty 2x12x8' would be pretty heavy.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Also I figured after the wedding of could sell them to a rental company in the area. I have the time to do it and I figured I could keep costs around $40 per bench
post #6 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
I hope you have a big truck or trailer to haul those on. Just thirty 2x12x8' would be pretty heavy.

Yes I have a trailer and the wedding is on our property which is about 5 acres so a ton of room to build and store them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kmnjr1226 For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (07-21-2015)
post #7 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 03:18 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmnjr1226 View Post
Thanks! For the material for the legs would say to use 2x6's for thelegs and 2x4's sandwhiching it together like the picture show. For the bench top what would you recommend to use to generate the appropriate width?
Looks like 2x12x8' for the bench top. I can't tell from the picture, but the center looks like it would sway with any kind of heavy sitters.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 04:02 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
It seems to me as another poster has stated, to consider renting chairs/benches as that would be a more economical way to go. With the price of a better grade of lumber, materials, tools, and your time, you may be spending more than you would get for selling those benches to a "rental company". Also, have you contacted the rental company that you (hope) will buy your benches? Unless the rental company gives you a written contract showing $ for each bench, you may be sitting on those benches for a while. Be safe.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-21-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Can you please explain what you mean by splay? Does that mean I miter both ends 22 degrees? They have to be parallel at the top to hold the bench boards, correct?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-23-2015, 12:30 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Can you please explain what you mean by splay? Does that mean I miter both ends 22 degrees? They have to be parallel at the top to hold the bench boards, correct?
Splay is the angle the legs spread out. Since the legs are situated with the edges facing out, you would crosscut parallel angles on the top and bottom of the legs. The angle of the legs is the relation in the other direction. The legs are not 90 degrees to the bench seat, they lean a little, about 5 degrees.

Personally, I'm in the business and have to be aware of liability issues. Most folks don't think about those, especially the extremes of possibilities. A bench tipping over with several large adults, crushing and killing a child behind them, for example. I would be very careful about taking on that responsibility.

This is an example of the unexpected. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...national_pop_b
post #11 of 11 Old 07-24-2015, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Splay is the angle the legs spread out. Since the legs are situated with the edges facing out, you would crosscut parallel angles on the top and bottom of the legs. The angle of the legs is the relation in the other direction. The legs are not 90 degrees to the bench seat, they lean a little, about 5 degrees.

Personally, I'm in the business and have to be aware of liability issues. Most folks don't think about those, especially the extremes of possibilities. A bench tipping over with several large adults, crushing and killing a child behind them, for example. I would be very careful about taking on that responsibility.

This is an example of the unexpected. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...national_pop_b

Thank you for sharing the article and your advice. I built one and tested it and it doesn't sway or tip at all. I'm including a picture in my next post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode