Need help on sealing oil based stained wood then adding photos & letters and sealing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

View Rrangerfan's Photo Album My Photos
Need help on sealing oil based stained wood then adding photos & letters and sealing

HELP! I am an experienced DIYer and crafter. Iíve been asked to create a ĎHole in Oneí type of plaque. The plaque will need to have several photos and letters mounted on the plaque. I used Varathane wood stain in ebony on the wood. I believe the next step is to seal the wood prior to adhering the photos and letters so the stain does not bleed through and ruin photos/letters. Iíve read conflicting posts on the right sealer to use on oil based stain. What is the best option? Then once the wood is stained, can you recommend how to adhere the photos and letters so they are archival quality, will not yellow or separate from wood? Finally, what do you recommend to seal the entire plaque to get a high gloss and protective finish?

This needs to be high quality as it will be sitting in a Major League Baseball players trophy case next to his other valued trophies like a World Series trophy. All advice welcomed! I canít seem to find the right solution and Iíve been combing through various websites.

Thank you in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-29-2017, 06:39 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would finish the wood with an oil based polyurethane. On the last coat when the finish gets really sticky press the pictures into the finish and call it done. If you intend to put a finish over the pictures then the finish would have to be some kind of acrylic finish. Oil based finishes yellow as they age and would make the pictures look bad where an acrylic finish would remain clear. You could use any water based finish.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-29-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

View Rrangerfan's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you Steve. Are there any issues or concerns I need to worry about when adding a water based sealer on top of an oil based polyurethane? Is there one you would recommend? How should the sealers be applied? With an aresol spray or brushed on from a can?

Tags
high gloss plaque finish, sealing photos on plaque, sealing wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode