Need help with a relief carving.* - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-22-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

View Tom Murdoch's Photo Album My Photos
Need help with a relief carving.*

I am not a woodcarver or artist. I need help creating a relief carving to be used as a trophy base. I want to carve the terrain of a golf course on the top and front of the base. The amount of detail will be determined by a reasonable assessment of the project. This trophy base is for an annual golf outing that is held at the same course each fall. I can furnish aerial photos of the course, it has rolling mounds but no trees.

The size might be 6 x 8 inches with room in the center for a small cup that I will mount. I might be asking too much of a carver as I have a limited budget because itís a personal project. If you would like to help, or you know of someone who help, please message me. I have a few months to get this completed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-22-2017, 01:29 PM

View Nathan Parker's Photo Album My Photos
Does it need to be wood? It would be much simpler to model it with layered thin sheets of dense foam or balsa (the way model railroaders and tabletop gamers build terrain) and cast it in resin, hydrocal, aluminum, etc....

Another consideration is how well the relatively low relief of a golf course will show at that scale. It would be so close to flat that it might as well not be in relief. To make it "read" you would need to exaggerate the vertical scale considerably; another option would be to reduce the base to a single hole or even part of a hole. Is there a very distinctive or well-known hole on the course?
post #3 of 7 Old 06-22-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

View Tom Murdoch's Photo Album My Photos
Never thought of the one or two hole idea, thanks for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-22-2017, 06:36 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
At that scale even the modeling of 1 hole is going to be so small it will not be recognizable.

George
post #5 of 7 Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
this would be easy enough

Make a 2 hole putting green like this:

The flags will indicate what it is, and the contour can be made in two separate pieces glued together with little carving required. Some auto Bondo to blend the pieces and some green paint in two different shades, sprayed on and you're done....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 7 Old 06-22-2017, 08:44 PM
Artist

View miket68's Photo Album My Photos
I do some relief carving, turning and all kinds of wacky artistic stuff. I think what you want is not very hard to do at all.

The wife and I are artist in lot of media, pencil,pen ,tattoo, clay,wood,metal and my specialty as a borosilicate glass artist. Anyway last year we say wood carving classes at our college and both took it and were hooked. I have done 3 classes and she has done 5 a couple advanced wood carving classes.
It will not be long and my woman will end up teaching the class. We also joined a local wood carving club where there is a book library, a bundle of wood for sale to help the club. We meet 2 times a month and all show off our work and carve together for a few hours.

Here is a picture of a windmill about half way roughed out, still needs some die grinding, wood burning and sealed up. I have other carving but dont show them off as much as the incredible carvings my wife does. The second picture is hers competed.

I dont have a CNC router but it sounds like something that could be roughed out on a CNC router then fine tooled and embellished from there.
Attached Images

post #7 of 7 Old 06-22-2017, 09:10 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There are several of us that are woodcarvers. It would help if you would post a picture of what you would like the carving to look like. Also what tools do you have and do you have the ability of sharpening them? The tools are half the job.

Six by eight inches is pretty little. That alone will make it more difficult for a beginner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode