Need help in NE Florida....Please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

View 2013SET's Photo Album My Photos
Question Need help in NE Florida....Please

Hi Guys,
I know this is going to seem crazy but I need help with the most absolutely basic project. On the link below you can see a sleeping platform that someone built for the back of their truck. I want to do the same thing but I honestly do not even know the first thing about carpentry. I called a couple of carpenters for quotes and they were talking about $500 worth of labor to do this which was very surprising. I understand people have to run a business so I guess they just cant be doing projects for only $100. Either way I have to do this myself or hopefully find someone who can help. Is there anyone in the area who can help me out with this. I will pay for all of the materials and of course pay you for your time. I want to make something really nice with a nice finish, round out the edges, carpet it, etc. Should be a couple of hour project at most I would think. Let me know your feedback.
Thanks!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6610780
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013SET View Post
Hi Guys,
I know this is going to seem crazy but I need help with the most absolutely basic project. On the link below you can see a sleeping platform that someone built for the back of their truck. I want to do the same thing but I honestly do not even know the first thing about carpentry. I called a couple of carpenters for quotes and they were talking about $500 worth of labor to do this which was very surprising. I understand people have to run a business so I guess they just cant be doing projects for only $100. Either way I have to do this myself or hopefully find someone who can help. Is there anyone in the area who can help me out with this. I will pay for all of the materials and of course pay you for your time. I want to make something really nice with a nice finish, round out the edges, carpet it, etc. Should be a couple of hour project at most I would think. Let me know your feedback.
Thanks!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6610780
It does look simple enough. With those pictures, you should be able to knock it together in no time. Look at all the money you'll save.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (06-07-2013)
post #3 of 16 Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hi Guys,
I know this is going to seem crazy but I need help with the most absolutely basic project. On the link below you can see a sleeping platform that someone built for the back of their truck. I want to do the same thing but I honestly do not even know the first thing about carpentry.

Should be a couple of hour project at most I would think. Let me know your feedback.
Thanks!
You state you do not know the first thing about carpentry and yet you feel this is a couple of hour project. What you "think" and what it takes can be very different.

I am not surprised at the quotes. Lots of unknowns and some of the details can be time consuming.

The link has some useful pictures, but cutting the ends to fit within the curves/angles of the truck bed can be time consuming.

The board for the length/join of the plywood is easier. Did you intend to use a steel plate or some other joint. Joints can be time consuming.

Good luck with the project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
You state you do not know the first thing about carpentry and yet you feel this is a couple of hour project. What you "think" and what it takes can be very different.

I am not surprised at the quotes. Lots of unknowns and some of the details can be time consuming.

The link has some useful pictures, but cutting the ends to fit within the curves/angles of the truck bed can be time consuming.

The board for the length/join of the plywood is easier. Did you intend to use a steel plate or some other joint. Joints can be time consuming.

Good luck with the project.
I was just using that as a guess based on what others who have built them have said. I honestly have no idea. I can see how shaping it to fit the truck bed can be time consuming.

What do you think is my best bet here? To seek out someone to help or try to tackle it myself?
post #5 of 16 Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I was just using that as a guess based on what others who have built them have said. I honestly have no idea. I can see how shaping it to fit the truck bed can be time consuming.

What do you think is my best bet here? To seek out someone to help or try to tackle it myself?
I would tackle this myself. Hard to say whether you should tackle yourself. I have the tools I would need. Not sure what tools you have or can borrow.

Getting the side-to-side boards to fit the truck shape is likely going to need some hand chisels and a mallet. Measuring the shape to cut out is trial and error.

Cutting the boards to length is just a simple saw cut.

You have to decide on the joint between the middle board and the ends. You could just do a half lap wood joint. This would also need hand chisels and mallet.

Cutting the plywood is best done with a circular saw and straight edge.

Cutting the carpet is sharp utility knife, straight edge and sacrificial board underneath.

Attaching the carpet can be glue or preferably stapled to make it easier to replace.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-06-2013, 02:15 PM

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
I say do it yourself, It's a great beginner project. Besides the $$ savings you'll have bragging rights when others ask about it. I don't know where you are located but if you can't barrow tools most can be rented now days at your local material supply place. As far as the joint goes. If you ar planning to leave it in the truck you can always just use some store bought angle brackets and screws to attach the center braces. Good luck with the project. Be sure to post pictures when you have it done.

BTW if you run into a snag along the way we are always here to lend some advise to talk you thru it.

"Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer, 'Am I worth dying for?'"

Eleanor Roosevelt
post #7 of 16 Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM

View Deanr's Photo Album My Photos
That looks like a lot of work to tie into the side of the bed. I think it would be easier for you to run some 2x6 or wider (2x8), lengthwise for support like a platform bed.
It will still leave storage underneath and could be removed easily.
That could be a 2 hour job with a circular saw.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Where in NF are you Im in St. Marys Georgia just cross the border

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #9 of 16 Old 06-06-2013, 03:38 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
A couple of sheets of cabinet grade plywood..
The big box stores are selling maple and 3/4 oak for $45 - $60 per sheet. Not cheep. :-)

Take a close look at his pics and look at your truck bed. Doesn't it have the recesses for 2x6's to fit across in several places?

Might have to brace it from the bed up to the crossmembers.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-06-2013, 04:38 PM

View Sorrowful Jones's Photo Album My Photos
If you are going to cover it with carpet, you do not need cabinet grade plywood, but you should use 3/4". It is waaaaay cheaper.
Sounds like an easy job, but longer than "a couple of hours".
$500 seems a bit much.

Last edited by Sorrowful Jones; 06-06-2013 at 04:41 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-07-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcouger View Post
Where in NF are you Im in St. Marys Georgia just cross the border
I am in Jacksonville. So pretty close. Any ideas?
post #12 of 16 Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 AM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Quote:
I am in Jacksonville. So pretty close. Any ideas?
Yap it looks easy but need to see a picture of the back of your truck tho

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #13 of 16 Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

sounds good. I will get one tonight.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 PM

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
That looks like a project that a friend with a few tools would help you make for some beer. A pro might have to charge that much because he'd have to make it on site to fit the truck bed with minimal fettling, which would be more of a chore for him than it'd be for a buddy.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 PM

View Bastien's Photo Album My Photos
The bed liner has ready formed pockets to support the boards built right in. Buy the plywood at Home Depot and let them rip it to size on their panel saw, and all you'll need is a circular saw and a staple gun. The hardest thing will be the center support. Take it to anyone handy enough to drill holes in a plate of steel and gouge out a couple of recesses in the wood and you're all done.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 PM

View khowald's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Bigbull, it is a great starter project, and that way when you are finished you will have started yourself on the way to the woodworking hobby...you think $500 was a lot HA! Wait 'til you get bitten by the "hobby" bug. If you need help or advice we have lots of that here. ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode