Need help identifying wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
KVR

View KVR's Photo Album My Photos
Question Need help identifying wood

Hey Guys,

I came across this forum as I was doing some research on some wood I found at one of my projects. Just for some clarification, I work for a large demolition company here in the US (based out of Charlotte, NC). We are tearing down an automated warehouse, and a large conveyor system.

We have pulled out a large amount of these wood "boards" which I cannot seem to get a name for, or understanding of what to do with (other than dispose of).

These boards are 1.25" Thick, 52" Long & 44" Wide. They have rounded corners, and each board has a metal plate stamped in with a number and a bar code. We have over 20,000 individual units right now, and I would like some advice on what they are, and what are my options in terms of selling them, etc.

This is my first post, and I apologize if this is in the wrong section / am not following proper protocol.

[IMG]

[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 PM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
Well you can't identify the type of wood based on the size of the board. Post some pictures at least
post #3 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
KVR

I posted pics (or failed at doing so). Heres another shot: http://imageshack.us/g/823/l9s1.jpg/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

My first WAG would be a type of S/P/F plywood.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 04:51 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
My first WAG would be a type of S/P/F plywood.
+1 on that.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #6 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like common fir plywood to me.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-12-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
KVR

Any ideas as to what its worth, or who buys product like this? I have 20,000+ boards.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-12-2013, 12:05 PM

View reynoldston's Photo Album My Photos
I was given a pile of boards just about what you have there. The boards that were given to me were something that were pallets for some kind for shipping?? First thing I found out about them is that what ever they were put together with was interior glue. Anything I used them for that was outside they just came apart. At the time I was building a building so I used them for the floor. The only problem I found was after the building was built that the thickness of each board was a little different from each other so they didn't make for a very good floor. The pictures and sizes just look a lot like what I had but who can tell from a picture so don't go by what I am saying. They are nice heavy duty boards and I am sure someone would have a use for them. I still have a few left over that I am trying to think of a use for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode