Need help fixing a bed post for daughter. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 13 Old 04-26-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

View shawna's Photo Album My Photos
Question Need help fixing a bed post for daughter.

I was given a princess bed for my daughter but it is missing a piece where I screw the post( in the picture below) into the end of the bed post. If you can see in my pictures, I took a picture of another post that has a fabricated metal piece that screws into the bed post and then you screw the post (in picture) into that. The last picture as you can see is missing this part. I thought maybe I could pop in a Tee nut but the wood is too soft for it to grip into the wood and when I set it, it seems fine until I try to screw the post into it and it pops out. I was thinking if I just had the center screw in part (not sure what you call it but I see them on other applications and looks like a set screw but hollowed out and you screw into it?) I could just glue it in there and have it set overnight and that may work.

Ideas? Thanks for your help in advance.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
From the picture the top of the leg had the bolt attached. You need the female plate to match.

Try THIS

I have seen this used on tables, but never on a bed. If it is a light duty childs bed it may be OK.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
shawna (04-27-2017)
post #3 of 13 Old 04-26-2017, 03:36 PM

View terryh's Photo Album My Photos
Is the post wood or MDF? Looks like MDF in the photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There is a type of tee nut made to mount with screws. I think that is what you have there. Remove the one you have to get a better look at it and get dimensions. https://www.lowes.com/pl/Standard-sa...are/4294546122
woodnthings likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
shawna (04-27-2017)
post #5 of 13 Old 04-26-2017, 08:35 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
You just need to go to a hardware store and buy a dowel screw. Carry the one you have with for a match. This is fairly common hardware.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 13 Old 04-27-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

MDF, pretty soft. I think that is why the Tee Nut would not grip into it.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-27-2017, 01:47 PM

View terryh's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawna View Post
MDF, pretty soft. I think that is why the Tee Nut would not grip into it.
That's what I thought. If you follow up on Steve Neul's suggestion, which I think is a good one, use long screws i.e. around 1 1/2" and carefully pre-drill, because MDF will split easily.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-27-2017, 10:45 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
You just need to go to a hardware store and buy a dowel screw. Carry the one you have with for a match. This is fairly common hardware.
I posted the above before I realized the female piece which is screwed inside the recess of the post is missing. I thought you only needed the dowel screw. :frown2:
The threaded washer will most likely have to be made at a machine shop. Not that difficult to make but it must be sized, drilled with 4 holes and threaded in the center.
Should be made with 3/16" steel.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

So, maybe not a proper fix but I got a nut and took a wood bit and drilled out the hole a bit and took wood glue and gently pounded in the nut to the bigger hole and let it set overnight.. Put a lock washer on the post and it screwed in perfectly. Will it hold forever, we will see but looking good for now.

Thanks for the replies. I am glad to have found this site.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-28-2017, 12:34 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If your fix doesn't work look for a "Round Screw Plate", get one that is threaded to fit the stud on the post.

https://www.servocity.com/0-375-16-round-screw-plate
woodnthings likes this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
shawna (04-29-2017)
post #11 of 13 Old 04-28-2017, 02:04 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
How old is your daughter and how large is this bed you are writing about. Ii am bothered by the concept of MDF strength on a bed of any size. And especially bothered by using wood glue to glue in a nut.

George
post #12 of 13 Old 04-29-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

It is solid.

This is just the decorative upper post part on the on one of the footboard so it is secure. It is just for decoration. Here it is in the picture. As for the nut I installed, it is a very solid connection. It has nothing to do with the function of the bed so which is put together correctly. Just for looks. Thanks for your concern.
Attached Images

post #13 of 13 Old 04-29-2017, 06:37 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
A beautiful bed for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawna View Post
This is just the decorative upper post part on the on one of the footboard so it is secure. It is just for decoration. Here it is in the picture. As for the nut I installed, it is a very solid connection. It has nothing to do with the function of the bed so which is put together correctly. Just for looks. Thanks for your concern.
No matter what the means of securing the upper post, it is so long that any sideways movement, even the slightest, will put a whole lot of strain on the fastener and joint. It is just a poor design from the "strength" point of view and making it from MDF only increases the potential for it breaking.

There is really nothing else you can do at this point except be very careful not grab the post for support when waking by an hope your daughter does the same! :smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
shawna (04-30-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode