Woodworking Talk banner

Need help finding the right hinge

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dBrad 
#1 ·
Hi! We built a new house last year and I installed Conestoga cabinets throughout - baths, kitchen, laundry, mudroom. Full overlay (1-1/4")**. There were a few items left undone so here I am a year later trying to wrap these projects up.

This weeks' project is pantry doors. Basically what I did was hide the entrance into the walk-in pantry behind a wall of cabinets - with a tall refrigerator cabinet in front of the pantry's cased opening. The two doors are on the way and I'll be installing them as in-swing butt doors (into the cavity where a fridge would normally go in this style of cabinet). They'll still overlay the face frame stiles by a half inch, but swing under the face frame rail above. The cabinet face frame is still where I'd like to mount the hinges (like the Blum euro style I have elsewhere), but I'm not opposed to adding some structure just behind the face frames inside the cabinet as it'll be hidden by the doors anyway.

Because these doors will be used often (we have 3 kids and the pantry is a popular place) I ordered them 1" thick, and at nearly 85" tall they'll have some heft to them - so I'm having a bear of a time locating decent hinges! The shutter hinges you see in the photos are the best comparison I've come up with, but I need adjustability if I'm going to do this right, plus those things have so much play in them that they're just too sloppy. I'm not so concerned about soft-close or other features like I was for the rest of the cabinets, and I think I have a good system in mind for a retainer to keep them from swinging out too far when they're being closed, but this hinge selection problem is really bothering me.

I figured it was time to ask the experts so here I am. Please tell me the perfect hinge is just a few clicks away and I've just been missing it all this time!

Thank you!

** Note: due to house trim, the new pantry doors as well as the upper cabinet doors above them will be 1/2" overlay.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Blum cabinet hinges hold 3.5KG each or 7.71618 pounds. Most pantry doors I've seen have three hinges or a capacity of a little over 23 pounds. Four hinges will hold a 30 pound door.

I would use the same soft close hinges as you are currently using. Just use enough of them to get the job done.

#8 ·
Sorry about my mistake above - I meant to ask, "...have you seen any IN-swing Blum hinges?" It looks like you understood me though - just correcting that for anyone that might stumble onto this later.

Thanks for that suggestion but I don't understand how I'd mount that cafe/saloon hinge. Those seem to rely on being mounted inside a jamb, but with these doors being technically overlay, there is no jamb.

I just ordered some Horton Brasses NM-7 hinges to try out as well. They seem to have very little slop in them, and at least have some rudimentary adjustability with the two screw slots. Perhaps I can mount the doors initially using those slots, adjust as necessary, then attach more securely with the remaining screws. It's a shot at least - I just received the shipping update from Conestoga and those doors could be here next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.