1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jammersix

post #1 of 14 Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

View GabbyDI's Photo Album My Photos
Need help choosing log spliter

HI guys

I need your help

which log spliter would you choose.

We are looking at log spliter reviews we are thinking this one – Boss Industrial EC5T20 or this one Earthquake w1200

I would opt for second one but partner thinks the first one is better. Be have a small woodworking shop but most of our business is preparing firewood

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 AM
Raindrop Counter

View Jammersix's Photo Album My Photos
This is absolutely the one I'd want:

GuitarPhotographer likes this.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
We are not firewood experts ...

Some of us do use a log splitter however. My experience is with hydraulic gas powered types, an 8 HP and 10,000 psi from a 4" ram. Even with all that power it willstall out on a particularly grainy crotch, but then it just crushes the wood and goes through.

https://woodhandler.com/powerhouse-x...litter-review/

I wouldn't trust a straight electric powered type if it just operates a threaded ram.The one linked above is a combo electric/hydraulic type and it will have more power. The cycle time is also very important and I don't like waiting around for the ram to return to split the next log.

Unless there is some important reason you need a straight electric type, I would look into the gas powered version for sure.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-28-2016, 12:56 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
5 ton isn't much of a log splitter. What wood are you splitting? Neither would do well for hardwoods. I split oak and hickory and occasionally my 26 ton splitter bogs down.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-28-2016, 02:12 PM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
OK Steve, lets see a pic or video. Quite hypnotic to watch..
johnep
post #6 of 14 Old 07-28-2016, 04:23 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnedp34 View Post
OK Steve, lets see a pic or video. Quite hypnotic to watch..
johnep
This isn't me but a spliter the same model as mine.

The majority of the time the splitter easilly splits anything I put in it. It's just from time to time I get a log with crotch grain in it that almost refuses to split. I think in the last seven years there has only been two logs I couldn't split.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-28-2016, 05:53 PM

Looks good but the splitters that produce 8 or more at one pass look a whole lot faster....and safer.
johnep
post #8 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 02:06 AM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Look at the Douglasfir 18" thick slabs in my avatar. They got whacked in a horizontal, gas engine, hydraulic splitter.
The thing is a screamer but I have never seen it stuck in conifer wood, which is about all we have here for cheap.
Feed me 8 beers and I'll tell you the story about that log.

Geez. I guess an avatar pic would be a big help.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 07:16 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
much depends on your intended use. are you going to split 3-4 cords of hardwoods every year for home heating, or just need o split some campfire wood? the traditional gas engine with hydraulic ram has stood the test of time. but newer concepts may work as well or better. the 5 ton electric will have shortcomings, but may fit your needs.

Last edited by TimPa; 07-29-2016 at 07:18 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 11:18 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
It would seem to me that a splitting maul would be more efficient than some of the small units out there that basically fit into the gadget category.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #11 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 12:47 PM

My son has a wood burning stove. He used a cast iron 'grenade' at first. This then shattered so he bought a simple electric splitter. Sufficient fir his needs.
johnep
post #12 of 14 Old 07-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Raindrop Counter

View Jammersix's Photo Album My Photos
When I was twenty, I bet my father in law that I could buck and split two cords in one day.

I think my back is still sore.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-11-2016, 11:03 PM

View renraw9002's Photo Album My Photos
Like Steve and a few others said those pure electric splitters aren't much unless you really need a pure electric splitter for some reason. They're gonna cry when you try to split anything at all large and/or knotted. If you split wood with any kind of regularity I'd go for something a good deal larger, probably gas or gas/electric powered, and if you have a business that is in large part making firewood do yourself a huge favor and get a vertical splitter as opposed to a horizontal one. Your back will thank me later.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-12-2016, 03:59 AM

View Dan3103's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with having a splitter that can work vertical. If you split a lot of big stuff, your back will tire quickly lifting the wood onto a horizontal splitter. It's much easier to place big rounds on a vertical one.

The electric splitters are pretty underpowered, which can leave you frustrated when they bog down in wood with big knots or lots of twists. About all they have going for is cheap price, but you most often get what you pay for, just like with any other tool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode