4Likes
  • 1 Post By FrankC
  • 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

View Myst8u's Photo Album My Photos
Need Help buying circular saws 4 stepdad

Hello :)

I joined because I really need some people with good woodworking experience to help me out in picking a circular saw. My stepdad moved across states 2 years ago to marry my mom and he had to leave a lot of his old tools and things behind. He's been wanting a circular saw for home projects like furniture making or for smaller projectsm, so for Christmas I want to get him a circular saw, some extra blades and a rip guard.

My stepdad has COPD so I was going for something more light weight that would be easier for him to hold and use.

I have narrowed my search down between a 15 Amp 7-1/4 in Corded Lightweight Sidewinder Skilsaw model: SPT67WL-01, or a 15 Amp 7-1/4 in Lightweight Circular Dewalt saw with Electric Brake model: DWE575SB. Corded is preferred for better power. I am having trouble finding out which is the better out of the two given that I possess very little knowledge with saws. My budget for this can't exceed $100 which is also why the skilsaw looks more inviting because it is cheaper but I want to make sure I get him something good in quality as well as good for budget. Has anyone on here had experience with both these saws? is one better than the other for certain things? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Skilsaw: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SKILSAW-...L-01/205673451

Dewalt: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...75SB/203740647
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
both are 15 amp. I put my vote on the Skilsaw.
and all the best for you and your family for the Holiday Season !!!

oh, the blades are a personal item. let your stepdad choose the blades
he needs for the projects he anticipates making. a general purpose blade
"should" come with the saw.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 11-04-2019 at 04:40 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 04:44 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
X2 for the Skilsaw, it says it comes with a blade and that might work for him for quite a while

There is no app for experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 05:52 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
I do like the electric brake feature on the DeWalt and its lighter weight might be easier for him to maneuver around considering his COPD. The built in dust blower might even help him from breathing in some of the sawdust but I don't know for sure about that.

Either one will probably perform the job of sawing wood identically with DeWalt having a slight edge in the quality department.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 07:49 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The price and the weight ...

The Dewalt weighs 8.8 lbs and costs $98.00.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QUZ16A...circular%20saw

The Skil weighs 6.6 lbs and cost $50.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BD81BLO...circular%20saw
Not the same model as you posted, but a good deal.

Both are 15 AMP motors. Skil has a laser.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-04-2019 at 08:06 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 08:16 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Does anyone have a suggestion for an affordable saw that can have dust collection added? Might be better alternative with COPD issues.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Same for you and your family as well @John Smith_inFL :) thank you! It's hard for my stepdad to go out to the store given that he's on oxygen and his carry along tank doesn't provide enough for him to stay out long, so I may have to just surprise him with the saw and let him pick some blades online then get them for him in the store or order them.

And thank you everyone for your suggestions as well! I'm definitely thinking skilsaw. Between the two I had picked I like that it has a magnesium shoe rather than steel and is pretty good value for the price. I was basing the weight off of that my stepdad recently borrowed a neighbors saw for a project and it was uncomfortably heavy for him but found out today it was an old one that was 15lb so even 11 pounds is a great improvement over that.

@sweensdv I liked the breaking feature too.

@woodnthings Those deals don't look too bad, I'm gonna keep my eye on them as well, I do like the laser guide for him!

@Terry Q Apparently some saws come with a dust port to hook up a vaccuum, I'm assuming that is what that does but I could be wrong, not sure if I need to go that far since he might just be ok with dust masks. His workspace is a fully open porch in an apartment complex so not part way in a garage, there should be better airflow. Your suggestion was so thoughtful though and prompted me to look so thank you!

I'm not going to be getting anything until black friday sales start but this definitely helped me in figuring out what to lean towards. You all are awesome!

Last edited by Myst8u; 11-04-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Forgot a response
post #8 of 20 Old 11-05-2019, 04:20 AM

View ghori-usman's Photo Album My Photos
I will consider you to buy a mini circular saws for a while now because there is just something about these mini ones that appeals to me. It’s well made and have very ergonomic design. It is much easier to handle one handed. I will consider the Rockwell, Worx, and Porter-Cable saws too,but there are some issue with all of these, from easily broker arbors to other failures.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-05-2019, 04:45 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst8u View Post
Same for you and your family as well @John Smith_inFL :) thank you! It's hard for my stepdad to go out to the store given that he's on oxygen and his carry along tank doesn't provide enough for him to stay out long, so I may have to just surprise him with the saw and let him pick some blades online then get them for him in the store or order them.

And thank you everyone for your suggestions as well! I'm definitely thinking skilsaw. Between the two I had picked I like that it has a magnesium shoe rather than steel and is pretty good value for the price. I was basing the weight off of that my stepdad recently borrowed a neighbors saw for a project and it was uncomfortably heavy for him but found out today it was an old one that was 15lb so even 11 pounds is a great improvement over that.

@sweensdv I liked the breaking feature too.

@woodnthings Those deals don't look too bad, I'm gonna keep my eye on them as well, I do like the laser guide for him!

@Terry Q Apparently some saws come with a dust port to hook up a vaccuum, I'm assuming that is what that does but I could be wrong, not sure if I need to go that far since he might just be ok with dust masks. His workspace is a fully open porch in an apartment complex so not part way in a garage, there should be better airflow. Your suggestion was so thoughtful though and prompted me to look so thank you!

I'm not going to be getting anything until black friday sales start but this definitely helped me in figuring out what to lean towards. You all are awesome!

Another place to check is CPO they are an online tool dealer that sometimes has some real good prices, and some super good prices on factory reman tools, they give a new warranty on the remans and a longer return time generally. I have bought a lot of reman tools from them and they all arrived looking like new, even smelled like new, and free shipping a lot of times

Yesterday they had reman Bosch 1/2 drive 18v lithium battery operated impact wrenches on sale for $69, a new one was $249 and free shipping to boot

Just a thought, might be able to get a better model saw cheaper

There is no app for experience
post #10 of 20 Old 11-05-2019, 05:02 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
i haven't owned a 7 1/4" saw in 35 years. i built my home and shop in north carolina with a black and decker 5 1/2" saw. a smaller frame saw will cut 2x4 at 45 degrees with no problem. the B&D saw is no longer made. i recently purchased a 6 1/2" M18 milwaukee cordless saw. does everything i need
post #11 of 20 Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 PM
where's my table saw?

There are some smaller corded circular saws ....

If you are patient, you can find a used 314 Porter Cable worm drive like this one I picked up and refurbished to look like new:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000222WY/?tag=whois03-20

Porter Cable made a 6" circ saw called the Saw Boss also "extinct" except for used. I have one of those and used it over my larger saws all the time. Like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porter-Cabl...IAAOSwPqBdrIWd

Battery powered saws are small, but the batteries are quite heavy, so no real weight advantage and a definite lack of long length ripping ability.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-05-2019 at 06:52 PM.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-05-2019, 06:43 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If your stepdad is anything like me he may want to select the saw himself, looking for one that feels right to him, in that vein why not give him a gift card and let him pick out his own saw.
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #13 of 20 Old 11-05-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

@Catpower This is a wonderful suggestion. I may actually use this place instead because it has wonderful deals and seems reliable. I am concerned about not getting him a brand new saw, but if this company makes reliable and good reconditioned ones then It seems well worth it.

@ghori-usman I considered the smaller one handed ones but I wanted to make sure that he has something that can handle doing a bigger project if he needs it to.

@FrankC Since he just needs something durable that does the job he doesn't seem too picky as long as it's a good brand like Skilsaw, Dewalt etc. He's not going to be doing much wood working as he can only exert himself so much before he has to rest but for the projects he would be doing I'm confident I can find him something that will get the job done and then some :)
post #14 of 20 Old 11-06-2019, 01:28 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 40+ YO B&D Worm drive saw. I bought it new and it is the best damn circular saw I have ever used. I have been offered $350 for my saw but I wouldn't take it.

The huge advantage with a worm drive is that the weight is more centered and less twisting of the wrist. To me, the saw is just so much easier to use.

I don't know why but it seems to be a west coast / east coast thing. The west coast seems to prefer worm drives while the east coast seems to prefer side winders.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #15 of 20 Old 11-06-2019, 01:36 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Between the two saws, I would choose the Dewalt. I like the base (solid aluminum). I have had circular saws with the stamped steel bases and find them flexi and they are harder to use with a straight edge. The warranty is also much greater, and is advertised as a pro tool to be used day in and out. Nice it tilts to 55 degrees also.

Gary
post #16 of 20 Old 11-06-2019, 03:18 PM
where's my table saw?

A 14 lb worm drive saw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post
I have a 40+ YO B&D Worm drive saw. I bought it new and it is the best damn circular saw I have ever used. I have been offered $350 for my saw but I wouldn't take it.

The huge advantage with a worm drive is that the weight is more centered and less twisting of the wrist. To me, the saw is just so much easier to use.

I don't know why but it seems to be a west coast / east coast thing. The west coast seems to prefer worm drives while the east coast seems to prefer side winders.

I love my worm drive saws also, but try and hold one at arms length for more than 2 minutes..... They are NOT designed for one handed use unless the base is resting on the workpiece. I wouldn't recommend one for and older person or for someone just starting out. Experienced framers and young guns would be OK, however.
Catpower and gmercer_48083 like this.

post #17 of 20 Old 11-08-2019, 11:11 AM

View evilboweivel's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post

I love my worm drive saws also, but try and hold one at arms length for more than 2 minutes..... They are NOT designed for one handed use unless the base is resting on the workpiece. I wouldn't recommend one for and older person or for someone just starting out. Experienced framers and young guns would be OK, however.
(end quote)

I have all worm drive with the exception of PC Saw boss and battery powered. Old enough to no longer want to use one all day, yet this summer I did use a couple of them everyday for 5 weeks building ramps and decks at work. Still find them the most comfortable to use. Interesting the young strong bucks say they are two heavy and have to use both hands while I still use most of the time one handed with left hand used to guide the saw only when cutting.

However I would not recommend someone start out with a worm drive who is weaker and on oxygen. Buy the Skil for $50 from Amazon along with a $50 gift card. Time it so that he will have some time to return for an exchange if he so desires. Some of us are very picky and some don't really care. AS A STEP FATHER who is very picky I would not return it and make sure to use what you bought me when you were around just because YOU cared enough to buy me something you thought I really wanted.

Good luck

Last edited by evilboweivel; 11-08-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: punctuation
post #18 of 20 Old 11-09-2019, 06:45 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer worm drive saws but they are heavy to handle when not on the work. But if the saw binds the kick back will be a lot more controllable than the handle over the top type of saw. I wouldn't get battery powered. The battery will fail sooner or later and then will no longer be available and will cost 1/2 of what the saw cost if it is available.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-09-2019, 07:40 PM
where's my table saw?

Battery saws are fine ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
I prefer worm drive saws but they are heavy to handle when not on the work. But if the saw binds the kick back will be a lot more controllable than the handle over the top type of saw. I wouldn't get battery powered. The battery will fail sooner or later and then will no longer be available and will cost 1/2 of what the saw cost if it is available.

I've had the smaller, no longer available, Dewalt 18 volt 5 3/8" blade battery powered saws for the last 15 years. I used the heck out of 2 of them and have a brand new one ready to go when or if those fail. Batteries are always interchangable! All the 18 V NiCad batteries that fit my drills also fit the saws.

Also have a 6 1/2" Rigid 18 volt Lithium Ion battery saw and the same applies to those batteries. I also have a 6 1/2" Milwaukee battery saw, angle grinder, several impacts, drills and a jig saw, and the same applies to those batteries. I must have about 10 Milwaukee Lithium Ion batteries of different amphrs, so there is always a freshly charged battery ready to go. I will say the battery powered saws do not have the torque of the corded saws, BUT they are really handy for trim work, siding, and maybe cutting down a plywood sheet. No cord to drape over your shoulder on a battery saw. They have their limitations, but it's not battery availability in my case.
Catpower likes this.

post #20 of 20 Old 11-10-2019, 12:55 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I was also going to suggest a 5 1/2 inch cordless trim saw, but hesitated because mine is so old. I am not sure how it compares in weight to modern circular saws. Cordless trim saws are self-contained and relatively small and lightweight, so they are easy to use. Like @woodnthings, I have been using a cordless circular trim saw for a very long time. It is the only circular saw I have owned for a very long time, and it just works.

My Craftsman 315.115160 "C3" cordless trim saw is nearly 40 years old. It weighs 6 lb, 6 oz with a thin lithium battery installed, 7 lb (10 ounces more) with the thick battery. Lithium batteries do not weigh much compared with the old NiCd batteries. I wonder whether modern cordless saws weigh less than my old one. I would not hesitate to buy a larger, corded saw if ever I felt the need, but the trim saw does everything I want and more. The odometer probably has several miles of cuts in 3/4 inch plywood, and lots of other lumber as well.

I have used other corded circular saws, including the popular worm drive SkilSaw. The worm drive saws are incredibly powerful and capable. I used one to help a friend build his house. They are great for construction, but overkill for basic home repairs and woodworking. Worm drive saws weigh far too much for our OP, in my opinion.

If it were me, I would look at lightweight cordless and corded saws. Bring a kitchen scale that goes up to 10 pounds. If you are buying a cordless saw, make sure it uses some kind of rechargeable Lithium batteries. I do not know if anyone still makes cordless tools that use NiCd or NiMH batteries, but I would not buy or recommend any of them.

The primary issue with cordless saws is making sure that the battery is ready when you need it. I have two batteries. One battery is thin, the other is thick and has a much higher capacity. Lithium batteries do not weigh much compared with the saw. Battery capacity is another issue. The battery can run out of charge when you are cutting; chargers are fast, but you can out-cut the charger. If you get a cordless saw, consider getting an extra battery for it.

One more comment:
I am reluctant to recommend any Craftsman power tool these days, because ownership and management of the Craftsman brand has changed so much recently and has an uncertain future. There are many other brands of circular saw to choose from, with similar products.

One positive note about Craftsman:
About 20 years ago, Sears/Craftsman released compatible Lithium batteries and a charger that were a direct replacement for the old NiCd batteries. The old NiCd batteries sucked. I would have tossed those tools a long time ago if it were not for the availability of the newer Lithium ion batteries. What a boon! Thank you Sears/Craftsman!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode