Need Help & Advice on Butcher Block Sealing/Finish - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 09-25-2015, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

View cam_robert's Photo Album My Photos
Need Help & Advice on Butcher Block Sealing/Finish

I was hoping someone could help me out with my butcher block. My countertop is from Ikea, specifically the Hammarp countertop in birch (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...963/#/40274960).

I've applied at least 9 or 10 coats of BEHANDLA wood treatment oil (http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/00184674/) and have followed the instructions on the packaging. Anyway, here is the result:

http://i61.tinypic.com/312ags3.jpg

...and here is the problem:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=54uo6&s=8#.VgXhefSDWHu

As you can see there are multiple glossy streaks (excess oil buildup?). It's been a few days since I applied the final coat, so I'm worried that this won't dry. Does anyone know how I should go about removing these streaks? Would mineral spirits get rid of them? Also any general tips/advice is highly appreciated! I am new to DIY projects so I hope someone can help me out.

EDIT: one more question, is it okay to use a different sealer after applying many coats of another? Like, would it be okay to apply something like Minwax Polyurethane (Semi-Gloss) after I've already been applying the Ikea BEHANDLA wood treatment oil ? Or am I pretty much restricted to the oil I've already been using?

I really appreciate any help here, I'm pretty clueless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-26-2015, 11:53 AM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
The BEHANDLA wood treatment oil is nothing more than mineral oil with some wax mixed in. I am not specifically knowledgeable with the product but there are many that are very similar. These oil/wax treatments are applied very similarly. Wipe on a light coat, let set for a few minutes and then wipe off all the excess. Let it set for a short while and then wipe it dry again.

From your pictures I can see that you have applied too much oil. You need to remove the excess. To do this wet a rag with mineral spirits and thoroughly wipe down the top surface immediately followed by wiping with dry, clean paper towels. It would be best if you apply the mineral spirits using four aught steel wool. When you have removed the excess oil, apply a very light coat of the BEHANDLA wood treatment oil being sure you wipe off all the excess. The BEHANDLA wood treatment oil is not a drying oil so you must wipe it dry or the oil will transfer to items placed on the top.

In the future, when the top looks "dry" again apply a thin, light coat of the oil being sure to thoroughly wiping off the excess.

AS to your final question I would recommend you not apply any other finish. The oil/wax product you used will have penetrated into the wood and is unlikely that you can remove it completely. Any residue will prevent adequate or full adhesion off any other treatment.

Howie..........
post #3 of 6 Old 09-26-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardAcheson View Post
The BEHANDLA wood treatment oil is nothing more than mineral oil with some wax mixed in. I am not specifically knowledgeable with the product but there are many that are very similar. These oil/wax treatments are applied very similarly. Wipe on a light coat, let set for a few minutes and then wipe off all the excess. Let it set for a short while and then wipe it dry again.

From your pictures I can see that you have applied too much oil. You need to remove the excess. To do this wet a rag with mineral spirits and thoroughly wipe down the top surface immediately followed by wiping with dry, clean paper towels. It would be best if you apply the mineral spirits using four aught steel wool. When you have removed the excess oil, apply a very light coat of the BEHANDLA wood treatment oil being sure you wipe off all the excess. The BEHANDLA wood treatment oil is not a drying oil so you must wipe it dry or the oil will transfer to items placed on the top.

In the future, when the top looks "dry" again apply a thin, light coat of the oil being sure to thoroughly wiping off the excess.

AS to your final question I would recommend you not apply any other finish. The oil/wax product you used will have penetrated into the wood and is unlikely that you can remove it completely. Any residue will prevent adequate or full adhesion off any other treatment.
Thanks so much howard, this is super helpful! Going to pick up some mineral spirits today and follow your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Is it just me or are there sanding scratches in the second picture. Looks like it needs finish sanded

Al

post #5 of 6 Old 09-27-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
Is it just me or are there sanding scratches in the second picture. Looks like it needs finish sanded

Al
Thanks for your input!

I decided to follow Howard's advice - applying mineral spirits with ultra fine steel wool. I then applied a very *light* coat of the oil, being sure to wipe off all excess after less then ~10 min. Anyway, here are some pics:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2q9mnp2.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2uiyulv.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/xoo4kn.jpg

Let me know what you think, and please don't hesitate to share some advice with a novice like me

Last edited by cam_robert; 09-27-2015 at 07:09 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
All is good. So glad you didn't just slap some poly on it and make it all shinny. I use wipe on finishes for all furniture.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode