6Likes
  • 1 Post By Ron_J
  • 3 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
In need of cabinet construction advice.

So I think I have a cabinet similar to this built in my head, with the exception of attaching the face. I was thinking about using biscuits. Any thoughts from those with experience?
Attached Images

mjadams61 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 05:43 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I would just glue and nail the faceframe to the box.
IowaDave, mjadams61 and gj13us like this.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 08:00 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not liking nails .... holes

If you can use glue blocks, triangular shaped on the inside to locate the face equally spaced on the cabinet edge then, that would be my approach ...... glue then clamp. Biscuits will be difficult to center equally and have the pieces match up..... a glue up nightmare I think.
GeorgeC likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-08-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If you can use glue blocks, triangular shaped on the inside to locate the face equally spaced on the cabinet edge then, that would be my approach ...... glue then clamp. Biscuits will be difficult to center equally and have the pieces match up..... a glue up nightmare I think.
This was my concern. I guess I was just a little unsure if glue alone would be strong enough. And like you, I'd rather not have any nail holes showing.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-08-2019, 10:57 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, glue alone is strong enough even with plywood. But most of the time I pin nail, glue and clamp. The pin nail holes will disappear in the finishing process.

IMO glue blocks are neither necessary nor desirable. If you're worried about squeeze out you can tape off the sides. Finishing the case first, then attaching the FF is also a way to go.

I've used both biscuits and Dominoes they work quite well. Index off the outside of FF and box side. If the outside of the stile is proud of the case, you have take that into account.

If the case sides are hidden you can also use pocket screws.

Last edited by DrRobert; 08-08-2019 at 11:01 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-09-2019, 11:00 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with DrRobert's evaluation. Glue and pin nails.

I have used dado's on the stiles with tenons on plywood sides using only glue on kitchen cabinets because they were screwed to each other thru the face frames.

In your cabinet design there is no added stress on the face frame, so it wouldn't be necessary. For added strength you could add pocket screws under any non adjustable shelves (if you have a pocket hole jig), but I don't think it is necessary.

Pin nailers are cheap at Harbor freight, if you have a compressor.

Gary
post #7 of 9 Old 08-10-2019, 09:51 AM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
I use biscuits, but cut the slots full length in the facing edge of the cabinet side pieces. Glue the biscuits in biscuit slots in the face frame pieces and then glue them into the slots of the sides during final assembly. This gives you the ability to make position adjustments during your final assembly. Be careful of your glue usage and use blue tape to prevent excess glue from getting where you don't want it. I peel off the tape after the glue has set up, but before it's completely dry. Both the glue and tape come off easier this way.

This is the easy part. Duplicating the arched door will be the most difficult part.

Charley
post #8 of 9 Old 08-10-2019, 06:53 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

Agree with all.

I have used a pin mailer for work like this. But, it is to hold the wood in place, not to add strength. The holes are almost invisible. Glue is sufficiently strong.

George
ScubaDoog likes this.

Last edited by GeorgeC; 08-10-2019 at 06:55 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 04:37 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
I would make the face frame using pocket hole joinery. If you are gluing to solid wood, the face grain to face grain glue up will be very strong.

If the sides are plywood it will still be fairly strong as 50% of the plywood will be face grain to face grain.

I have a biscuit joiner but lately I seem to be using dowels more often. A dowel centering drilling jig will center the dowels on the upright sides. And dowel centers will mark the face frame drilling locations. Dowels make a very strong joint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode