Woodworking Talk banner

Need advice on granite ideas

839 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Tool Agnostic 
#1 · (Edited)
I had to redo our kitchen countertops (one slab developed a big crack), and since we couldn't match the good part the whole thing needed redone. I've been left with about 25 sq. ft of nice granite. One is already dimensioned to about 2'x2' and I figure I can use that at my sharpening station for plane soles, etc.

Any suggestions for what I could do/make with the rest of it. A table seems like an obvious idea but I'm not sure I need another table. It's too nice to just toss it in a landfill.

I realize this is a woodworking forum so I'm looking for ideas to incorporate this into something with wood, if that wasn't clear. I can slice it up to the necessary sizes if needed.

Pictures attached below.

Thanks

pat

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
How about using it for an Outdoor BBQ side table (its heat resistant). That's what we use our "trial" piece of granite for. Its on a wrought iron frame that we got for free.

Reactions: furnacefighter15
#10 ·
You have larger "furniture size" pieces of granite and got some good suggestions above.

When we got kitchen counters in granite, the leftover pieces were too small and too irregular for furniture. We asked the granite cutter make us various size "trivets" with nice roundover edges. The trivets protect the new granite counters from cracking due to hot electrical appliances being used directly on the granite counters. We have seen such cracks in other people's homes. We have also seen appliance heat damage to seams in Corian counters. Here is what we got:

* Large rectangular trivet for wide oval crockpot and bread machine.
* Large square trivet for tall round "soup" crockpot and rice maker.
* Two smaller square trivets for sandwich makers, waffle iron, etc. They are used individually and also paired together as needed.

The trivets have cheap stick-on soft plastic feet that get knocked off on occasion. We keep replacements around, no big deal. Because they are granite, the trivets are fairly heavy. Anything larger would be too heavy for my spouse to move around.

I also have a large 9 x 30 inch unfinished scrap of granite for flattening and sharpening woodworking tools with sandpaper. It is long enough to flatten the base of a jointer hand plane.

Photos:
* Rectangular granite trivet, sized to match bread machine and oval crockpot.
* Same trivet with bread machine.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.