need advice about a router - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

View Alex_Izzarelli's Photo Album My Photos
need advice about a router

I just joined this site today hoping to find out if $120 for a used Porter Cable router is a good deal. It has 1.5 horse power and it comes with a plunge base and everything it would come with from the factory plus a few bits. Thank you for any responses
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a link to probably comparable router new...http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10007&rrt=1

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 08:24 PM

View weavilswoodshop's Photo Album My Photos
check the new router prices and compare.. a plunge base attachment always increases the value .. you also really need to hear the router before buying... its been my experence that the condition of the bearings reveal the quality of a used router..(bad bearings will many times cause the motor to run erratically or struggle to maintain a constant speed even when not in use. I've burned up a high dollar Milwaukee and a $99.00 Ryobi..they both sounded the same when I gave them away to a friend to fix) of course other problems may surface(worn collets or adjustments, etc..) I only own one used router..a Bosch that retailed new for over triple the price I paid at the pawn shop. A Porter Cable in my view would be a good router to begin with..several other quality brands even pattern their routers to accept porter cable accessories.. I own 9 routers but only 1 PC.. If I bought another used router I would look for another Porter Cable.. Others probably know a lot more than I do and can give you better advice than I can. , I'm no expert but I do expect a lot out of my routers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 PM

View OhioTom's Photo Album My Photos
Check out the refurbished tools if you want /need to save money. I bought a great DeWalt router at an unbeatable price. There are many providers, be sure you are dealing with a reputable vendor.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
$120 is more than I'd want to pay for a used PC 690... $80-$90 seems more reasonable if its in decent shape. For the price quoted, you're well on your way to a new router with a warranty....Milwaukee, Makita, PC, Hitachi, Bosch, Ridgid, DeWalt and others all make reputable routers for not much more. Used router bits have very little value.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 PM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
The PC 690 series is a very rugged router and my personal favorite, as well as having a following in industry. In that hp range my other recomendation would be the Bosch. Both combo kits can be had for about $200 (new) as an everyday price. If you are buying used, I would want to listen to the router, and would likely also pull one , or both of the brushes to get an indication of use. Very easy to do.

The price seems a little high, but depending on the bits he is throwing in, it may be a good deal. Find out more about the bits, and you'll have your answer. If they are not carbide, they would add little to no value. Even cheap carbide bits, such as those from Harbor Freight would only add a little. Quality bits, such as Whiteside... would add significantly to the value. He could easily have his asking price just in bits. Here is where it pays to do diligence.

I am usually willing to pay 40% to 50% of what the tool would cost me new, but only if the tool is in good to excellent condition.

Good hunting!
post #7 of 9 Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Izzarelli View Post
I just joined this site today hoping to find out if $120 for a used Porter Cable router is a good deal. It has 1.5 horse power and it comes with a plunge base and everything it would come with from the factory plus a few bits. Thank you for any responses
Alex
Porter Cable will tend to hold it's value simply because it's a Porter Cable but, as has been pointed out there are many good ones out there and in that price range you can get some good ones out of the reconditioned market, think "used with a warranty". Here is one of the better deals I have run across lately:
http://www.tylertool.com/dw618pkr.html

Craftsman hasn't been on my list of favorite tools for a long, long time but I have seen some favorable reviews on other forums about the kit they have for $120 with both the fixed and plunge base. It also goes on sale regularly for $80. Like this one:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2
The Craftsman can also be adjusted from above the table should you table mount it.

Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Alex_Izzarelli (03-05-2011)
post #8 of 9 Old 03-05-2011, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

View Alex_Izzarelli's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you for your responses. I will be wise about my future purchases, especially when buying used tools. It's hard to find someone who is willing to bargain, so it may be better to find a valuable new price. That DeWalt looked like a killin' deal. Do you guys know anything about a good jointer deal?
Alex
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 PM
The Young Blood

View Locodcdude's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like a nice deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode