Natural Flitch Walnut Dining Table (How to Make a…) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

View Russell Hudson's Photo Album My Photos
Natural Flitch Walnut Dining Table (How to Make a…)

When she was young, her father made a small coffee table from a natural edged plank he'd found.. She asked me whether I could make something similar, but larger, to seat six. Her dining room was small and had enough room for something 32 X 72 aprox. She was a friend I'd met on social media… and I told her I'd look for a flitch (single slice, natural slab, cut from the tree) of that size.
She lives 2 hrs drive from my shop so I suggested I'd send her emails with photos attached to show her what I found, what it will look like and how I'd take it down to it's final shape. She wanted it fairly dark. I always try to find a wood that is close to the finished color rather than using a stain as it can obscure the grain to some extent. I found her a single slab from a walnut tree that HAS to have been over a hundred years old.

Then I sanded & wet an area to indicate what it will look like.

She agreed with my suggestions and so established the shape of the top. I had removed the bark (both 'inner' & 'outer') and the blond, cambium layer… and then rounded the four corners. The sapwood & heartwood are what's left.

I used solid walnut for the legs (a true 4" X 4"). I positioned the legs wide enough to make sure it would be stable ( the narrow end of the top is only 30" wide) and this also told me what the four skirt lengths would be.

I random-orbital sanded it at 60, 100 & 150 grit. I didn't follow up with a vibration sander as I wasn't going to stain this (already wonderfully dark) walnut... so fine scratches were not going to read. Every woodworker knows what happens when you start applying your first coat. This surface was no exception.

I made my legs & skirts with chamfered edges (45 degree angled cuts). A single coat to seal the table top's bottom side and then five coats to all visible surfaces.

I used table bracket hardware (so that the legs were removable for transport).

I didn't have the heart to reduce the thickness of the top (2") so the table weighed just under 200 lbs. Made it a bear to carry into her place.. but his table will be around long after those of us who reading this are gone.

I have a very happy client on my hands. Happy clients are the best salespeople you can find (or make).

More good stuff on our website…

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc. / 6-13

http://www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com/
"Courage is knowing what not to fear"~Plato
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Hudson For This Useful Post:
bigcouger (06-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Nicely done and nicely executed. Looks real nice.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominick For This Useful Post:
Russell Hudson (06-06-2013)
post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 PM

View mike1950's Photo Album My Photos
BEAUTIFUL chunk of wood and fantastic use of it. Nice work..........
The Following User Says Thank You to mike1950 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 08:26 PM

View info's Photo Album My Photos
Nice
The Following User Says Thank You to info For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Beautifully done an you are right a happy client tells everyone so more business for you in the long run

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

View Russell Hudson's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcouger View Post
Beautifully done an you are right a happy client tells everyone so more business for you in the long run
unsolicited 'word of mouth' / the best

http://www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com/
"Courage is knowing what not to fear"~Plato

Tags
natural edged table top, natural flitch table, natural walnut table top, walnut dining table, walnut slab table top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode