narrow section around door - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By J L

post #1 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

View bobmane's Photo Album My Photos
narrow section around door

The door was not installed right and comes in too far. it had casing/trim on it but it looked really bad and crowded + did not show-off the beams on either side of door.

I am considering creating a narrow section around door frame then painting it white to match the rest of the white walls. or whatever else would work.

The challenge is there is only about 7/16" deep area where I could place board (wood or drywall) in there. So, even if I make that work the biggest issue is the transition at top to "above door area" where the depth changes.

I put cardboard up and took pics in 2 possible configurations.

1. it just ends and the would be a small shelf at the top.

2. it connects to a strip along the top

3. would be if there was a slope at top that fades into upper section smoothly (i assume that would be tricky and might look strange)

any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	276065  

Name:	2-1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	276073  

Name:	2-3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	276105  

Name:	2-2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	276113  

Name:	1-2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	276121  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 02:11 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Normally the jamb is fitted to be flush with the wall. On the door shown, the jamb was fitted to be flush with the vertical board on left. I don't understand the reason for leaving the gap, but here's how I would fix it. I would set a new board on top over the door to come out flush with the jamb. Next I would apply a new wide molding around the door. The molding will span the gap on the left and hide it completely.
I'm assuming you have another vertical board on the right. Not shown in your pictures. If not, you will have to install another board to get flush with the protruding jamb and molding on top.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 02:42 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What would look the best is to build a new door jamb that fits the thickness of the wall. Another option would be to build out the wall the thickness of the jamb. Another option would be to make really thick casing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 03:07 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I would remove the entire door jamb. You can do this by removing any trim around the jamb on both sides. Run a sawsall around the outside of the jamb cutting any nails holding it in. Disassemble the jamb, remove any pieces of nails remaining in the jamb. Cut the parts down to the correct width for the wall, reassemble it, reinstall and trim.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I was going to alter the jamb or replace the door but it would cause stucco on outside to crack so trying to avoid that. The cover up ideas are good ones but the main point is to show-off the post & beam - posts on the left and right side of the door. that is why i was trying to create white space between door and posts
post #6 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Who is building this place for you? Or is this a project you've picked up?

First the crappy sheetrock to beam issue, now this which is even worse.

Looks like they tried to make the jamb flush with the beam. If you are OK with that then trim out the door with 1x trim, and use a spacer on the pieces that go to sheetrock to "box" them out with little or no gap.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 04:48 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you can't remove the jamb and there is enough face on the jamb you might cut it down with a sawzall and true it up with a belt sander. Then re-mortise the hinges.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 06:17 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Just guessing here but it looks like a 2 X 4" wall and 2 X 6" door jamb.
Buying from a salvage outlet?

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
dennygm (02-19-2017)
post #9 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If you can't remove the jamb and there is enough face on the jamb you might cut it down with a sawzall and true it up with a belt sander. Then re-mortise the hinges.
Or perhaps a small circular saw finishing the corners with a hand saw.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
And reset the door stop if possible, if it's like the jamb used most often these days then the "stop" will also have to be cut to let the door sit into the opening the correct amount. No small task...
post #11 of 17 Old 02-02-2017, 11:51 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
for a completely different approach ...

Saw the door free and push it out so it's flush on the inside. Trim off the excess jamb on the outside. DONE.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #12 of 17 Old 02-09-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Saw the door free and push it out so it's flush on the inside. Trim off the excess jamb on the outside. DONE.

When you trim doors like that how do you get new thresholds ?
post #13 of 17 Old 02-09-2017, 01:16 PM
where's my table saw?

Try the box stores

Home Depot has them in Aluminum:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Build...door+threshold

In wood also.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Door-Thre...z0xd8mZ1z118iu

Lumber yards will have them also.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...=sb-top&fr=sfp

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #14 of 17 Old 02-19-2017, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

I haven't found any that have the notch in the middle for the lock on french doors
post #15 of 17 Old 02-19-2017, 04:16 AM
where's my table saw?

What I have done ...

Hang your doors on your new threshhold, plumb in all directions. See that they close uniformly. Open the door without the astragal and mark the location of the lockbolt on the threshold and the upper casing. Drill the correct size hole in the threshold to accept the lock bolt by keeping pressure on the door holding it closed.

post #16 of 17 Old 02-19-2017, 06:32 AM
J L

View J L's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Hang your doors on your new threshhold, plumb in all directions. See that they close uniformly. Open the door without the astragal and mark the location of the lockbolt on the threshold and the upper casing. Drill the correct size hole in the threshold to accept the lock bolt by keeping pressure on the door holding it closed.

There is usually a little cup that gets glued into the hole for the bolt to stop water penetration into the threshold.
woodnthings likes this.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-27-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone ever ripped the center of frame instead? So as to not have to redo all hinges?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode