To nail or screw into plywood edging? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-14-2020, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
To nail or screw into plywood edging?

This is what I came up with to give the plywood edging some bite ..It's for the little library I'm making. The dimensions are kind of big for what it is, 24wx36hx18d. I just don't want things falling apart later in the rain, etc. After the sides are all together I plan to add hardwood trim all around and seal it..plus paint/stain, caulking, etc.
Look like it'll work? It's a sheet of 1/2" & 3/4". I just don't trust nailing or screwing into plywood edging..

BTW, it's a piece of 1" thick treated decking board (and a 3/4" piece) glued with TBIII. I suppose I could use a chunk of 2X trimmed down as one piece, but I figured the 3/4" piece glued down should hold well also. Thoughts?

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-14-2020, 03:16 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I think that's pretty darn clever! I think it will work well. The only thing I can think of that could be an issue might be different expansion rates between the plywood and the solid wood, but I don't think that would really be a factor.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-14-2020, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.. Gluing them up ain't quite as easy as I thought, but it seems to work so far. I kind of took the rest of the day off for a change since I haven't done that in forever now, (the ubiquitous nice long nap) but I did clamp one up without glue and it does fit well, but getting it to fit right before the glue sets may be a challenge. Even TB3 sets up a bit quicker around here than I like unless I really shlop it on thick then cleanup is less fun than I like. What? Cleanup isn't fun for the rest of you? I thought it was the funnest part of woodworking..
Anyway, I think this'll work even if it becomes a challenge AND slightly less fun than seen on TV..

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 09-14-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-14-2020, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Strange, I hadn't thought about it since I joined this site, but the plane in my picture (avatar) is an old one I gave to my son awhile back. Well, he didn't take as good care of it as I would like and then wrecked his car and it got soaked and rusted in the mess of the wreck so..I kind of got it back and fixed it back up and now I'm using it more than all the others I have. Somehow the wreck did it (and my son) some good. The tote is much tighter now and I got all the rust off in all the right places.. Funny how things work out sometimes.. He ain't getting it back until I'm gone and someone collects my life insurance.

Impressive, huh?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2020, 12:20 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Another option I just thought of was pocket screws. If you have a pocket hole jig, You could drill pocket holes In the plywood and screw your trim Piece on.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-15-2020, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Another option I just thought of was pocket screws. If you have a pocket hole jig, You could drill pocket holes In the plywood and screw your trim Piece on.
I'm going to invest someday in a pocket hole jig, but so far I've avoided them. IDK, there's just something about pocket holes that strike me wrong. Maybe it's just the way they're promoted to be the cure all for every buttered finger known to man or woman..

I did get the first panel glued down this morning and so far so good. I slopped the glue on pretty thick with not a lot of squeeze out at all. I have to figure quite a bit went into the gaps in the plywood edges so if there's enough it'll hold. Also glued the first 5-6" of the flats of where the plywood panels meet along with about 12 - 1 1/4" deck screws to hold them together. It's the outer 1/2" plywood panel that concerns me the most.

Impressive, huh?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2020, 10:46 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
IMO the 1/4" is not necessary & makes a lot of extra work.

I usually do a 1 x 1 1/4 bullnose edge with a rabbet the thickness of the ply.

Sorry for the sideways pic
To nail or screw into plywood edging?-img_0325.jpg

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode