Woodworking Talk banner

mystery wood #174

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  m.n.j.chell 
#1 ·
This wood was sold to me years ago as narra and since I didn't know any better, I just assumed it really was, but as I accumulated more knowledge and some pieces of narra, I realized that there is no way this is narra. I thought maybe it was olive since it looks a bit like olive (although it would be unusually straight-grained for olive) but the end grain convinced me it is not.

Any ides?

Wood Hardwood Floor Laminate flooring Plywood
Wood Wood flooring Floor Hardwood Plywood

plank and end grain

Wood Wood stain Brown Laminate flooring Hardwood
Wood Wood stain Brown Plywood Material property

a couple of end grain closeups

See less See more
#3 ·
This is just a WAG but that first picture sure looks a lot like sugar pine.

Just realized who started this thread. Phinds, you're the resident expert, what do you think it is. I'm sure my wag was way out of line.

joe
Joe, I agree on the face grain but that end grain just doesn't look like pine to me.

I wish I DID have a good idea what it might be, then I could poke around and see if I could find something similar to confirm it, but I'm at a loss.

Paul

#4 ·
Looks A LOT like some lumber liquidators pallet material I liberated from the dumpster awhile back. Hard, heavy, dense, and stunk when cut. I'll see if I have any left and take a pic later. It was real similar looking. Doesn't help you with the type though. Sorry.

#5 ·
Looks A LOT like some lumber liquidators pallet material I liberated from the dumpster awhile back. Hard, heavy, dense, and stunk when cut. I'll see if I have any left and take a pic later. It was real similar looking. Doesn't help you with the type though. Sorry.
Well, more pics would be helpful if it is indeed the same stuff since that might spark some recognition, so thanks.

#6 ·
I figure this is as good a thread as any to post. It's my turn to ask if any of you might know what kind of wood this is.
Central Florida
Root, found in my yard after a crew cleared land for my workshop.
purple/red in color
Waxy feel, very tight grain. Cuts nicely on the lathe.
Road surface Gesture Wood Tints and shades Asphalt

After cutting into it, I was so impressed with the color that I turn a couple of pieces on the lathe.
Now I'm kind of freaking myself out. I can't find any wood from this area that is this color, so I'm thinking it might be a vine root. Hopefully, NOT Poison Ivy. I don't have much of that in the yard, and I'm not sensitive to it, but being covered in the dust would, likely, be a bad thing.
So ... doesn't anyone have any ideas what it could be that's NOT going to kill me for being stupid?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.