my wife thinks I should take up cocaine... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

View bigfred's Photo Album My Photos
my wife thinks I should take up cocaine...

as she thinks it would be cheaper than woodworking.

I had an older Rockwell 220V table saw basically given to me recently, but there is no fence or rails. The rest of the saw is fine.
What are my options? I've tried looking around on EBay and CL, but no luck. I have seen a few on line at Lee Valley, but the Incra model is not available here.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
I can tell you this, Your wife might be right. I can't tell you how much $$ I have invested in my hobby, but its a lot. As for the fence for your saw, I would keep searching for a place to get one. Try a Google search for your particular saw.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
post #3 of 13 Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 PM

View Rick C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Try grizzly,they may have one that works.Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
I've never tried cocaine but I've snorted lots of sawdust,,,,,,,,, just gives me sinus problems.

Oh, if you were trying to find a fence to match the old Rockwell rails, you would probably have trouble finding that. But since you need rails too, that shouldn't be much of a problem. I agree with Rick, try Grizzly. Their rails can probably be easily adapted to fit the old Rockwell.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 AM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
You can also check out the delta t2 fence. It's offered by either home depot, or lowes for around $160.

Yes woodworking tools are expensive, but they won't make you end up in jail!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 09:45 AM

View Hhaines's Photo Album My Photos
I would think that there are several aftermarket stuf that should work for you......I'd keep looking......try Craftsman for giggles.....
post #7 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
I have a PDF file of the manual for the old Rockwell/Delta 10" Contractor's saw ( circa 1977 )

Although it's not the same saw as yours, it does have photos, drawings, and part numbers that may match up. This could make finding the parts easier.

The file will not upload here, so I'd have to email it to you.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 PM

View bandman's Photo Album My Photos
You may think I'm nuts, and I just might be but let me tell you what I did in this situation. When I started a full time woodworking business in 1982 all I had for a saw was a 10" craftsman that I purchased new in 1972. After maybe 1 month of use the fence broke and since I had all my money tied up in trying to start a new business I had to punt. For what seemed like an eternity I simply used a piece of "Purple Heart," (because I had one) and made a fence out of it. Yes, I just clamped it on with two "c-clamps" and sawed away. Each time I had to change the fence I had to loosen the clamps and tighten them up again. It was an absolute pain, but I measured well and never had a piece bind or kick back. I now have a Powermatic 66 which I dearly love but I learned one thing from that experience....if you want to make it work you can. I did use a set of anti-kick back hold down wheels on the fence because you can never be too safe.

I don't do it full time anymore but I still have a nice shop and that saw is still in there, I still use it and it still has the same piece of Purpleheart wood for a fence (gets used maybe once every couple of years.) The saw actually has been heavily moldified with 6' long angle iron pieces bolted on the top edges for the c-clamps to attach to, an extra long shaft for a dado head and a larger motor. I also never let ANYONE ELSE use it.....ever!!!

Bandman
post #9 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
Try explaining to the wife... a second router . My wife (also the $ bookkeeper) usually just shakes her head and starts mumbling things I can't quite make out, when a new tool is mentioned...
That's true love.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 PM

View jeffreythree's Photo Album My Photos
Ahhh, sawdust. The most addictive drug in the world in my opinion. Just wait 'til you get some wood milled yourself. Then you will be wanting one of those sawmills and the gadgets that go with it, along with all of the regular 'required' tools. Is there a sawdust anonymous? I have to admit, having a mill now makes it easier to justify better shop tools to the wife since I have all of this rough sawn wood that is going to need a home eventually.

"Say hello to my little friend" Macie Clark, Christmas 2010

http://texaswoodlot.blogspot.com
post #11 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 PM

View Garibaldi's Photo Album My Photos
More addictive and actually more toxic. But it smells a lot better!
post #12 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 11:07 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
You may find a fence to fit your saw at www.owwm.com It is a site for all old shop tools for woodworking.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #13 of 13 Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
Piece of wood and 2 clamps?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode