My second Project. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 10-07-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

View Debabratachak's Photo Album My Photos
My second Project.

Hi,
This is my second project in woodworking. I know there are a lot of errors. I request everybody to review and provide feedback please.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
That's great..making stuff is the best way to earn. As a challenge for next time try to figure out how to not have screws exposed. Also, the leg stretchers would look better in between the legs rather than on top. That also will require you to figure out how to join them differently.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by was2ndlast View Post
That's great..making stuff is the best way to earn. As a challenge for next time try to figure out how to not have screws exposed. Also, the leg stretchers would look better in between the legs rather than on top. That also will require you to figure out how to join them differently.
Haha...meant learn...not earn. It's actually pretty hard to earn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-07-2015, 10:39 PM

View Quo Fan's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
As a challenge for next time try to figure out how to not have screws exposed.
That may be the look he was going for.

Quote:
Also, the leg stretchers would look better in between the legs rather than on top. That also will require you to figure out how to join them differently.
I agree that the stretchers would look better between the legs. Since this appears to be an end table, a simple butt joint on the stretchers to begin with, and explore different types of joinery, like doweling, dados, and mortise and tenon.

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-08-2015, 10:18 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
When woodworking - personal preferences come into play. As stated, you may want screws to show or use no screws at all. I've learned techniques over the years and my skill level has grown so I can now make some decent looking furniture without any fasteners. But sometimes, my builds will be less then perfect because I want them that way. When I remodeled my kitchen a few years ago, I wanted a country hutch with a warm relaxed look - a hutch you would expect to see in an old farm house. Besides leaving a few flaws in the build, I painted the hutch rather then using stain and all visitors have liked it without noticing the flaws.

So don't get discouraged because you're doing fine. As you're learning - don't throw out your cut-offs. Use them to practice wood joinery. Practice some more... and if I may suggest... practice by building furniture, storage cabinets and jigs for your workshop. Workshop builds need to be functional, not beautiful.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-08-2015, 02:48 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
comment ....

You stopped the stretchers short of the ends of the legs for some reason .... the wood wasn't long enough, I donno? However, your eyes also stop at the ends when viewing it rather than travel around as they would if the stretchers were butted together at the ends and they should all be at the same height. It would be a more pleasing design. Other than that, a nice outcome for your second project.

I also agree that the top surface should be free of fasteners, maybe next time?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 14 Old 10-08-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I totally agree with the screws showing up. I want to hide them, but somehow cannot do it. Need more practice. This was made out of some free lumber I picked up at Home Depot. I needed a rip cut for these lumber, but unfortunately I do not have a table saw. So I am still struggling to find out a way to make rip cuts without a table saw. Can I do it with a jigsaw? Moreover I do not have a workshop or a work bench. I do this in my patio on the floor. I am lucky that my neighbors has not complained yet about the noise :). I am building a saw horse currently.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-08-2015, 10:59 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Knowing your limitations I can now say you've done a great job. Ripping with a jig saw is difficult but it can be done nicely if you follow up the cuts with a hand plane to smooth things out. Some jig saws tend to wander while cutting. If you have one of those wanderers, then cut outside the line on the waste part and finish with a hand plane.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-09-2015, 12:36 AM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like you reused some wood to make that. Nice. Good second project with limited tools!

My suggestion is to go to the library and get some woodworking books. And to look at some furniture to see how it's put together.

Welcome and be safe!
post #10 of 14 Old 10-09-2015, 12:47 AM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Also, next time consider making the top with an overhang all around
post #11 of 14 Old 10-09-2015, 02:24 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
this is a very humbling experience

It is really something to post your project here, made on a patio with only hand tools and no workbench and no table saw. You deserve lots of kudos for attempting this and completing it with all the limitations. It makes me think back to when my father and I built a simple workbench and stool on the back porch of an apartment using only a handsaw and electric drill.

Now, when I have multiples of every power and hand tool, it's hard to imagine building anything without them. It's a humbling experience to view your project.

I am curious as to your age, work background, and whether you are a female. What has inspired you to tackle woodworking in general? Did you take any classes in school? Did someone play a role in getting you started?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #12 of 14 Old 10-09-2015, 06:37 AM

View UnisawGuy's Photo Album My Photos
A good beginning.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-09-2015, 11:15 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
As Wayne Gretzky says, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Every time you finish building something you will take a look at it and wish you had done something differently, the trick is to get to the point where those changes are smaller and smaller.

Before you know it you will be asking us if you should get a 3HP or 5HP Unisaw!

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #14 of 14 Old 10-09-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
It is really something to post your project here, made on a patio with only hand tools and no workbench and no table saw. You deserve lots of kudos for attempting this and completing it with all the limitations. It makes me think back to when my father and I built a simple workbench and stool on the back porch of an apartment using only a handsaw and electric drill.

Now, when I have multiples of every power and hand tool, it's hard to imagine building anything without them. It's a humbling experience to view your project.

I am curious as to your age, work background, and whether you are a female. What has inspired you to tackle woodworking in general? Did you take any classes in school? Did someone play a role in getting you started?
Hi, I am 36, male. I am an IT guy working for an IT company as a project manager. Nobody actually inspired me to do woodworking. It is something I always wanted to do. I have not taken any classes or any course in woodworking. Actually it started when I wanted a small study table for myself. I thought of buying one, but I was not getting the correct size or height for that. So I decided to build one myself and started watching a few videos and plans online. There I saw how people can build fascinating projects themselves. That really inspired me and I started off with two hand saw, a hammer, a power sander and a drill. Recently I bought a circular saw and a jigsaw. Since I work in my patio, I have a limitation of power tools. I try and use as much hand tools as possible. Currently I am building a stackable sawhorse. I need to build a tool box for myself as all my tools are stacked in a small storage in my patio. I will post the pictures of my saw horse when it's complete.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode