My kid getting into woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Sawdust Mill Operator

View VIFmike's Photo Album My Photos
My kid getting into woodworking

My youngest son (15) is taking construction tech in high school. This is metal shop and wood shop along with some other stuff in one class. Right now they are doing woodworking projects.

He brought some pieces home to cut with the jigsaw instead of waiting in line for it at school. So I got to show him how to use it. They are making a book shelf.

So I just got a huge order for a client that has a clothing store, plus I have several other orders running. So I needed help sanding. I get him out there, paid of course, to start sanding with the 5" orbital. He is liking doing woodworking very much. Now I have him staining and clearing.

His main thing at first was the money and that's still a big part of it but he is now thinking of all the things he could make with the scrap strips I cut off as well as the free wood I get at work. He plans to make some things like plant boxes, bread boxes, mail boxes, bird houses and wood crates to sell on etsy.com

As we build more stuff together I think he will become a woodworker. Hell if I was 15 and I had access to a complete wood shop and wood I'd be ecstatic!

Plus he goes to school and makes better cuts than the rest of the class. Now I gotta teach him how to weld and use the plasma cutter before they get into that part of the class!

"wood does not do well outside.....well....except for trees"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 AM

View ponch37300's Photo Album My Photos
That's great. Money can be a great motivator. When I was a kid money was a motivator also, only I wanted things and didn't have money to buy them so I had to build them myself.

Only thought is make sure to throw in some fun stuff in the mix otherwise he will get burnt out sanding and not like helping anymore.

Thanks for your help
post #3 of 7 Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
My kid is 27 and I'm still trying to get him into woodworking. Not having much luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworking can be tons of fun. You can also make some money if you're good at it and can devote enough time to do it. Metalworking is also a good skill to have. Being able to weld can help him just as much as woodworking later in life.

If he's still in high school, you should encourage him in whatever he shows a little interest in. If he takes up a hobby now, he's likely to keep that hobby, or turn it into a profession.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 PM

View critter's Photo Album My Photos
Ya I have a 12 year old that I get to help me in the shop. No pay but luckily he is still at the age where he just wants to help lol and I am not making any money like the OP is from woodworking. I started young with my dad and look at me now!! :)

Like woodworking? So do I!! Check out my website for products, reviews, techniques and articles. http://www.woodshopproject.com

Be sure to like our fanpage at:

https://www.facebook.com/woodshopproject
post #6 of 7 Old 10-29-2012, 04:27 AM
(clever wood pun here)

View Phaedrus's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
My kid is 27 and I'm still trying to get him into woodworking. Not having much luck.
I'm 28. Send me tools, I'll call you "dad."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaedrus For This Useful Post:
dmike (10-29-2012), railaw (10-29-2012)
post #7 of 7 Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Sawdust Mill Operator

View VIFmike's Photo Album My Photos
He is already tired of just sanding so over the weekend I had him staining and clearing. I'll be training him on the miter saw next. He is already talking about making plant boxes and bread boxes and maybe some wood crates from our scrap and from the pallets I get.

"wood does not do well outside.....well....except for trees"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode