My intentions are great... my execution questionable - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 08-01-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

View Badluckbetty's Photo Album My Photos
Question My intentions are great... my execution questionable

Morning everyone, So now is the moment that I hope and pray there is a stone inlay guru in the crowd that can point me in the right direction, here is my situation. My son is getting married and he asked me to make his guestbook, he wanted something out of wood that could be displayed. I looked at examples online but decided to take a different approach. I am (attempting) to make a wooden book, The dimensions are 11.5 x 16. It will be hinged with the guests leaving messages on the inside. My son is getting married on the beach and I wanted to incorporate that into the cover along with some stone inlay. So I carved out an abstract shaped area which I want to do a sand and shell inlay, then fill with a clear epoxy. For the top I am routing out their initials which I would like to do a stone inlay, do to the much smaller size I was going to use CA glue. As of right now I have the area for the sand and shells carved out and I will be routing out the initials today. Here are my questions #1. I would like to stain the wood, but do to the sanding that will be required with the stone inlay on the initials I cant do it before, I have read that ca glue will impenetrate the wood preventing it from taking on the stain after and I have heard conflicting opinions on if a final thin flood coat of epoxy will take on the stain color as well. So do I need to give up on the hope of staining it altogether ?
Question #2. suggestions on the best finish for it, for my outdoor projects I have always used a spar urethane but I don't think that will be the best for this. Keeping in mind that I have to have a finish on the inside that people can use a thin tipped marker on, any suggestions are greatly welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-01-2018, 06:59 PM

View Saw Dust Rules's Photo Album My Photos
I once built a wall hanging using a wooden frame, then attached a thin plywood back with sealant between the frame rabbit and plywood. I arranged some pieces of memorabilia, coins, pictures... in the frame then poured a clear epoxy over the contents to seal them in place. I guess you could make something smaller and use it as a book cover.

Saw Dust Rules

“In God we trust. All others bring data.” - W.E. Deming

Dave in Rochester, NY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode