my home made finger joint jig (box joint) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 9Likes
  • 5 Post By mmwood_1
  • 1 Post By mmwood_1
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By mmwood_1

post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2020, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
my home made finger joint jig (box joint)

Dave Miller had posted a question about how to do this on long/wide boards, so I promised I'd post mine. I could not load the video, so it's all in pictures. I made this jig in 2002 when I needed finger joints on some 36" long edges. It is simple, precise, and there is no limit to the width of board it can do. The drawback is that it can only cut one finger at a time. For this video, I cut the finger joints for a 5 1/2" wide board, and it took me 7 minutes.

First, a few pics. The working face of the jig.
my home made finger joint jig (box joint)-img_8917-1-.jpg
In between the two clamping boards is a 3/4" wide block. This fits exactly into the 3/4" wide notch that the router bit makes.

my home made finger joint jig (box joint)-img_8918-1-.jpg

my home made finger joint jig (box joint)-img_8919-1-.jpg
It should be obvious, but you use the same reference edge on both boards in the joint, so on one board you will be cutting into the face and out the back side, while on the other board you will be cutting into the back side and out of the face.
I set my bit to cut 3/32" deeper than the thickness of the board so that if I have edges tear out a little, I have excess to trim off when I'm done. Not a necessity, just my way.
Clamp the board to the bench and start from the reference edge, putting the jig in place with the spacer block tight up against the edge of the board.

my home made finger joint jig (box joint)-img_8921-1-.jpg
Once I loaded these pics, I could not load any more, so, I will continue below in the comments.

Last edited by mmwood_1; 04-14-2020 at 01:04 AM. Reason: can't load the video
The Following User Says Thank You to mmwood_1 For This Useful Post:
Dave Mills (04-14-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-13-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Alright, this is all messed up. My pictures loaded all out of order and with out the text in between. Sorry. The site is simply not cooperating with me today. It won't even let me start over. But most of you can probably get the sense of it.

Slip the jig in place with the spacer block tight against the board, and clamp it.
IMG_1451[1].jpg
Cut the notch from top to bottom.
IMG_1453[1].jpg
IMG_1457[1].jpg
To do the matching piece, I insert a spacer, 3/4" wide that fits exactly in the notch. The jig then butts up against the spacer for the first cut.
IMG_8929[1].jpg
IMG_8930[1].jpg
IMG_8933[1].jpg
Cut all the fingers for that one.
IMG_1454[1].jpg
Fit them together.
IMG_1444[1].jpg
IMG_1445[1].jpg
IMG_1447[1].jpg

my home made finger joint jig (box joint)-img_1447-1-.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8929[1].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	387401  

Name:	IMG_8930[1].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	387403  

Name:	IMG_8933[1].jpg
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	387405  

Name:	IMG_1451[1].jpg
Views:	34
Size:	696.4 KB
ID:	387407  

Name:	IMG_1453[1].jpg
Views:	28
Size:	590.0 KB
ID:	387409  

Name:	IMG_1454[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	674.0 KB
ID:	387411  

Name:	IMG_1457[1].jpg
Size:	510.8 KB
ID:	387413  

Name:	IMG_1444[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	637.9 KB
ID:	387415  

Name:	IMG_1445[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	588.2 KB
ID:	387417  

Last edited by mmwood_1; 04-14-2020 at 02:18 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-14-2020, 12:30 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Clever!

It's just like a box jig on the table saw only you have configured it for a router. Nice!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-14-2020, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, and I finally got the pictures up, i could not get the video loaded. The upload messed up the order, but it's all there.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2020, 05:49 AM
where's my table saw?

This photo shows it "in use" ....

Apparently, the jig only works when positioned on the end of a wide board that is resting and clamped horizontally on the bench top and the jig is used "vertically". This means gravity must be overcome to keep the base of the router registered against the jig at all times. A minor inconvenience, but that would get tiring after a while if the router had substantial weight. I suppose an end vise that would allow clamping the board, with the opposite end resting on the floor, and positioning the the jig horizontally, would also work?
As far as the photo order goes, the site always posts last in first up or in reverse when creating an album in My Photos. When you notice
the order is wrong, you can edit, delete, copy and paste a few times, but that's tedious. By opening a second browser or duplicate tab with the same thread up, you can copy from that tab and paste in your edited tab. I've done that many times.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-14-2020 at 05:56 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-14-2020, 08:07 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
thank you for your time, Mark.
that is what I had envisioned in my mind, I just have never
had a reason to try it.
nicely done.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-14-2020, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Woodnthings:

"Apparently, the jig only works when positioned on the end of a wide board that is resting and clamped horizontally on the bench top and the jig is used "vertically". This means gravity must be overcome to keep the base of the router registered against the jig at all times. A minor inconvenience, but that would get tiring after a while if the router had substantial weight. I suppose an end vise that would allow clamping the board, with the opposite end resting on the floor, and positioning the the jig horizontally, would also work?"

If you have a 6' long panel, do you really believe it would be easier standing it up vertically to do the notches? And the face of the jig is wide and flat so there is no problem with holding the router flat against the surface for the 10 seconds at a time that it takes to cut a notch. Granted, if a person has muscular or bones issues in their arms or wrists, they might have a problem. But I sure did not make this jig for them. If you're doing finger joints in smaller boards, do it on the tablesaw if you can't hold a router sideways. This jig's entire purpose was for cutting joints in large or unwieldy boards that had to lay flat.
JamesTinKS likes this.

Last edited by mmwood_1; 04-14-2020 at 12:26 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-14-2020, 04:18 PM
where's my table saw?

Lightbulb That was NOT a critisim ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwood_1 View Post
Woodnthings:

"Apparently, the jig only works when positioned on the end of a wide board that is resting and clamped horizontally on the bench top and the jig is used "vertically". This means gravity must be overcome to keep the base of the router registered against the jig at all times. A minor inconvenience, but that would get tiring after a while if the router had substantial weight. I suppose an end vise that would allow clamping the board, with the opposite end resting on the floor, and positioning the the jig horizontally, would also work?"

If you have a 6' long panel, do you really believe it would be easier standing it up vertically to do the notches? And the face of the jig is wide and flat so there is no problem with holding the router flat against the surface for the 10 seconds at a time that it takes to cut a notch. Granted, if a person has muscular or bones issues in their arms or wrists, they might have a problem. But I sure did not make this jig for them. If you're doing finger joints in smaller boards, do it on the tablesaw if you can't hold a router sideways. This jig's entire purpose was for cutting joints in large or unwieldy boards that had to lay flat.

Of course you have to work within the lengths of practicality. A board that is 6 ft long would be too long to clamp vertically, unless you stood on a ladder to use this jig. About 4 ft would be the vertical limit, at least for me. Then your would use the jig as you show in the photo, holding the router vertically. As you grow older and reach my age, your overhead strength is diminished from lack muscle of use, so for me, holding any considerable weight at shoulder height is a problem. It is the only method I have seen however, that solves the problem of finger joining wide and long boards! My comment was an observation, not a criticism. It was as I stated "a clever idea".....
JamesTinKS likes this.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-14-2020, 07:23 PM
Just figuring it out

View Dave Mills's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for posting these, Mark. That's a nice setup, better than my failed experiment. For my situation of a long low bookcase, I decided to cut the short verticals on the table saw with a dado blade, and hand-cut the ones on the top, a 7ft long piece.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-14-2020, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Woodnthings, I apologize, I didn't mean to be snappish. That's the second time I've done that in two days. Got a family member teetering on the edge of death from THE VIRUS, and two friends. Cooped up for three weeks, I think I'm getting irritable. Again, I apologize.
JamesTinKS and flybykat like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmwood_1 For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (04-15-2020)
post #11 of 11 Old 04-14-2020, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
Thanks for posting these, Mark. That's a nice setup, better than my failed experiment. For my situation of a long low bookcase, I decided to cut the short verticals on the table saw with a dado blade, and hand-cut the ones on the top, a 7ft long piece.

The cabinet I just started on is 6' long x 20" deep by 24" tall. (plus legs) Finger joints will be along the 20" corners. The timing of your post was fortuitous, as I haven't used this jig for some years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode