My general questions. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

View DustinHilton's Photo Album My Photos
My general questions.

Ok the first question I have is I just got a band saw a couple days ago and I was extremely excited it's a 9 inch throat ryobe anyways either I don't know enough about them or a 9 inch throat is almost useless for making band saw boxes which is what I wanted a band saw for to begin with. Any help or tips that I can use to get the most out of this is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 01:30 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
There are many "making band saw boxes" videos on line, and books/magazines available. Perhaps you can get some info from them. Be safe.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I understand how to make them but everything I've tried to make so far is to tall to cut the back cover off. And I don't think it's a true 9 inch of blade usage I think the blade guide is included in their 9 inch measurement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 02:11 PM

View JCCLARK's Photo Album My Photos
The 9" is throat distance, not blade height.
My 14" bandsaw cuts to a max. depth of 6",
But can clear a board 14" wide to the support when flat.

JC
post #5 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 02:48 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
The 9" is throat distance, not blade height.
My 14" bandsaw cuts to a max. depth of 6",
But can clear a board 14" wide to the support when flat.
Sorry to break the news to you, well actually JCClark did. (:<(

To make taller bandsaw boxes you will need a taller bandsaw. The limiting factor on a bandsaw is the amount of height it will cut, since that's what requires the most power. A smaller bandsaw will have a lower HP motor. A "taller" bandsaw that will cut over 6" up to 12" may have up to a 3 HP motor.

You can either make smaller boxes or return the saw, if it's not too late. You didn't say whether it was new or used. If used you are out of luck. Re-list it and get a taller saw is all I can offer.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 04:48 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
anyway you dice it, a big beefy band saw is gonna be $$$$.

dont bandsaw boxes get cut in layers though? and then laminated together? That solves the cut depth issue I thought. Never made one myself.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 05:40 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
anyway you dice it, a big beefy band saw is gonna be $$$$.

dont bandsaw boxes get cut in layers though? and then laminated together? That solves the cut depth issue I thought. Never made one myself.
The way I do it is use 3/4 stock and cut it into squares depending on how big your pattern is. Then glue your squares one on top of the other and let it dry. Attach your pattern and bandsaw away. There is more to it but I am just trying to get you started.

For the OP- I ran into a problem with gluing and stacking to many pieces together and my belt and spindle sander was not high enough to sand top to bottom at one time. I got it done but it's harder to sand it straight.

Don
post #8 of 12 Old 05-07-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I just measured the blade height and it's less than 4 inches. :/ like I said practically useless unless there is another way
post #9 of 12 Old 05-09-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

I figured out how I can still do what I want to do thanks to whoever it was that made the comment it's cut out and glued together in layers. ( I can't remember your username sorry but thanks) It will be. much more difficult and time consuming but worth it. anyways next question I'm looking for a certain kind of lumber pecky cypress and nowhere around here that ive seen has it. Is it possible to order some exotic lumber or special lumber such as what I'm looking for and have it shipped in a cost-effective manner?? Other than the obvious eBay and Amazon answers do you guys know any other trustworthy websites that deal in this
post #10 of 12 Old 05-09-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

After searching eBay for Peckham cypress I'm not sure if that particular wood is in my price range. I just need something pretty pitted, sturdy, could have small cracks, and or knotted to Heck but still able to be cut to do what I want with it
post #11 of 12 Old 05-09-2015, 05:08 PM

View Dovetails's Photo Album My Photos
Try bellforrestproducts.com

They have good products, and will ship to your door.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-10-2015, 02:41 PM

View Chaos1's Photo Album My Photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode