Moving Advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

View Santa's Workshop's Photo Album My Photos
Moving Advice

After living 24 years in our current home--the Mrs. and I bought a new home and are moving. That means the basement shop is moving, too. The good news is that I get to plan and build a new shop--this time I get first choice of on where and how much space I get! The bad news--moving heavy tools with cast iron tops. More bad news--the stuff has to go to storage for six weeks or so because of timing on closing on the old and new homes.

Now the reason for the post--
Any advice on packing up the big tools--table saw, band saw and drill press? Thinking about a POD to load them in, send to storage, then have delivered to the new house when the time is right.

Should I lay down the drill press and band saw?

Should I dress or treat the cast iron before they go into storage?

Any other comments or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 PM

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
I would sy while prepping them for storage it would be a great time to clean them upgive them the works, then all you have to do when you get them in you new shop is the fine tuning. I don't know if I would put a coat of oil or something heavy duty to protect the tops...depends on the area climate I guess
post #3 of 21 Old 05-18-2012, 01:14 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
No, don't lay them down. All good moving vans and even PODS have hooks for cargo straps so you can stand them up securely.
I have no idea on the rust - it would all depend on where you are and where you're storing them and what type of moisture you're trying to protect them from (leaking storage facility during monsoon season or condensation from rapid temperature cooldown in a high-humidity environment or gangs of wild cats from the wrong side of the gutter marking their territory on your tablesaw top?) A good wax would protect against some, but not all, of those options.

And congrats on the move to a new shop.

Insert witty signature line here.

Last edited by joesbucketorust; 05-18-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-18-2012, 01:40 PM

View ccrow's Photo Album My Photos
My .02, if you're staying in the Overland Park, KS area or relatively close, basically not moving to the coast. Your moisture content in the air will stay the same as it is now. You would only want to consider protecting them from a leaky POD in the event you get some rain or the afformentioned wild band of cats.

Stand'em up, strap'em in and a light coat of wax oughta do the the trick.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. We are staying in the area. The POD people say the storage area is conditioned to between 60 and 80--probably closer to 80 this time of year. I'll strap the tall stuff in tight and wax the tops.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 07:21 AM

View woodworkingpays's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa's Workshop View Post
Thanks all. We are staying in the area. The POD people say the storage area is conditioned to between 60 and 80--probably closer to 80 this time of year. I'll strap the tall stuff in tight and wax the tops.
hi

New to this forum.

If wax is unavailable / expensive, you can use any talcum powder. Use a heavy coat

Then, use this as a guide:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6174850_trea...vent-rust.html

Then, if you need any help in finding out the costs involved with the POD, check this source.

Last edited by woodworkingpays; 05-28-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: added more info
post #7 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 AM

View Shavings's Photo Album My Photos
http://boeshield.com/
Great stuff! Keeps moisture out for a long long time

R..
The Following User Says Thank You to Shavings For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (05-28-2012)
post #8 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 AM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
I have moved three times, the last my shop machines were in storage for little over a year. The movers loaded all with my household goods and it went in storage. I applied a coat of Johnsons Paste wax, had no issues at all.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 02:37 PM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
Clean them well, really well, take things apart if you have to. You will have to realign the tools anyway so it won't matter if you loosen things up a bit. The sawdust in the nooks and crannies will attract and hold moisture, causing rust inside, and on the adjusting mechanisms.

Boeshield on the tops is the best solution, with some thick plastic over that.

Remember that you will need tools to set up the new house and shop so make sure that they are available when you get where you are going.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
post #10 of 21 Old 05-28-2012, 03:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
moving heavy tools

As stated above blow out all the loose and caked on sawdust.
Table saw: remove the rails and side extensions to get them out of the basement. Wrap the table, and side extensions in blankets or cardboard after spraying with a non silicone based product. Optional: Slip them into a large plastic bag and they are are ready for anything, even a leaky roof. The table from the bandsaw, drill press, the base and column can all come apart and get the same treatment. They will be easier to carry, pack and store safely.
Bnadsaws should always have the table removed before transport or there is a risk of breaking the trunnions.

A heavy duty hand truck will help with stairs, ramps and just moving them around. Getting it tipped backward far enough is the biggest challenge, usually 2 men required, but once it's balanced it's easy. Mobile bases are great if you already have them, if not, worth a consideration. Castered moving dollys are the next best thing. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 21 Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 AM

View nekha123's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingpays View Post
hi

New to this forum.

If wax is unavailable / expensive, you can use any talcum powder. Use a heavy coat

Then, use this as a guide:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6174850_trea...vent-rust.html

Then, if you need any help in finding out the costs involved with the POD, check this source.
Hey, thanks for the links. That must've been helpful for him.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Why don't you just put them on your sleigh and let Rudolph and gang handle the rest?

Sorry, I have no useful input. Good luck with your move.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaincarver Steve View Post
Why don't you just put them on your sleigh and let Rudolph and gang handle the rest?
That might have worked back in the last century but if he tried it today PETA would be screaming about cruelty to the reindeer and the head of United Elves Local 127 would be calling for a shop-wide sitdown because the contract calls for making and loading toys, not tools.

Insert witty signature line here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joesbucketorust For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (06-02-2012), mackem (06-02-2012)
post #14 of 21 Old 06-02-2012, 11:27 PM

View mackem's Photo Album My Photos
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingpays View Post
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekha123 View Post
Hey, thanks for the links. That must've been helpful for him.

Hey Nekha, he posted about both your home pages, really cool eh!
Why don't you guy's take your "portal" and fill it with spam.

Kevin.

There are no secrets in woodworking, and everything should be shared. Sam Maloof
post #15 of 21 Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Cowboy up and do just it

View vursenbach's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbucketorust
. . . and the head of United Elves Local 127 . .
That would be me.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

Typed from iPhone, please forgive the fat fingers
post #16 of 21 Old 06-03-2012, 11:12 AM

View Jackfre's Photo Album My Photos
Last year I move from MA to CA

Some of the big tools did not make the trip. Some, DP, small MIT machine, plasma, Restored '48 Unisaw did. I regret not bringing my big band saw. Anyway, my house/tools were in storage from Feb-Aug. Everything made it in good shape, but somehow my Lie Nielsen # 2&4 bronze got wet and stained more than corroded.

To say that you are going to be pressed for time is the mildest form of understatement. Start early!!! Disassembling the shop is the ideal time to clean everything up. That way as you put the shop together you can see how everything made the trip and you don't have the old projects sawdust coming to the new house.

Exciting times for you!
post #17 of 21 Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Well, the shop is cleaned, broken down, packed, loaded, strapped in and on its was to the POD yard! Cross your fingers hope it survives it's eight weeks there. Thanks for all the info and tips. I'll report back once the workshop is back up and running.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Look forward to hearing how it went. Any pix of the load?
post #19 of 21 Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, no pics. I'll try to remember to take some during the unload.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 PM

View Arrowhead12's Photo Album My Photos
Have you gotten back all your tools and workbenches from the POD storage yet? Hope everything survived the trip and storage downtime :). We completed a move out to Topeka involving similar cargo and supplies. The owner's also did some ceramics and other specialty art alongside their woodworking trade.

Anyway, I hope you're all settled in nicely and your work station's off and running!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode