Moulding head cutter Scary you say? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 26 Old 08-08-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Moulding head cutter Scary you say?

I have a read a bunch of posts about how moulding head cutters are scary and to be avoided. I disagree.
I have one of the Craftsman 1 cutter models, and just did a few test cuts.
First, I have to say, it is by far the quietest blade I have. No vibration.
It cuts like butter. I didn'd have an insert for the table that would fit, so I left the insert out. I just used a red oak board that straddled the opening. I used no featherboards or holddowns.
Check the pictures and learn the truth about these moulding head cutters. The stock was 3/4" thick, and one of the cuts I did in 2 passes. It cut so easy, the second cut I made in 1 pass.
Here are a few links, If I can't get the pictures up.

Last edited by Pirate; 07-10-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
I use them constantly and love them for cretin things. Make an insert though; it is not good to run the saw without an insert.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
The single knife cutter works very well. The three knife head is even better. As for an insert, I find making inserts necessary for a particular procedure sometimes necessary. Otherwise, I'll use an insert that is close, maybe one that was used for a different cut.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a nice smooth cut.
Would you run a board throughthat way and then run it through your table saw to cut the moulding to width? That would make a lot of sense, as running a wide board through the moulding cutter would definitely seem to be safer.

Gerry
post #5 of 26 Old 08-08-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
Looks like a nice smooth cut.
Would you run a board throughthat way and then run it through your table saw to cut the moulding to width? That would make a lot of sense, as running a wide board through the moulding cutter would definitely seem to be safer.

Gerry
For narrow mouldings I always cut the profile on a wider board then rip to width. I usually cut the profile on both edges, then rip both edges.
post #6 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 09:49 PM

View Joek's Photo Album My Photos
Question Molding head cutter scary you say

Do they (Sears) still sell molding head cutters? I had one years ago and lost it during one of our moves. Would certainly like to buy one if still available.

joe

"Never argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
post #7 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 11:10 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
I think they still sell them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joek View Post
Do they (Sears) still sell molding head cutters? I had one years ago and lost it during one of our moves. Would certainly like to buy one if still available.

joe
Not sure if they have this deal in your area, I noticed SearsOutlet.com has one of these listed as available at a nearby store:
Molding Head Set , 7 in. Diameter

Sears item # 3217

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product...s=25&pid=11789

Regards,

Duncan

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #8 of 26 Old 12-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joek View Post

joe

Here they sell moulding heads like the Craftsman. They have a good selection of cutters. Their cutters fit Craftsman, and other heads.

post #9 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 12:27 AM

View bryan's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzley after market moulding head

While the topic is at hand, I have a 3HP Shop Fox Shaper with a Grizzley 4" aluminum moulding cutterhead (2 blade type)which I have not yet ever used. I bought about 4 profiles for it.
Has anyone used one of these with their shaper? If so, what kind of results does it give?
post #10 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
While the topic is at hand, I have a 3HP Shop Fox Shaper with a Grizzley 4" aluminum moulding cutterhead (2 blade type)which I have not yet ever used. I bought about 4 profiles for it.
Has anyone used one of these with their shaper? If so, what kind of results does it give?
I think you'll find that the RPM of a shaper is too fast for a moulding cutter, unless perhaps you have a speed control. The shaper is designed for smaller cutter heads. I have, however, used my Craftsman three blade cutter head on a radial arm saw with the cutter head turned parallel to the table surface. The results were quite good. If you try this be extra careful. These things can be dangerous.[What power tools aren't?]

Gerry

Last edited by Gerry KIERNAN; 12-22-2009 at 09:16 AM.
post #11 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 3 Blade Cutter and Need Some Blades..

The blade set that came with it would just do 1/4 round and did that well. I had a neighbor come by to see if I had any 1/4 round? We cut up a 2z4 and had 1/4 round for days. :)
post #12 of 26 Old 12-23-2009, 02:21 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Cutter Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Here they sell moulding heads like the Craftsman. They have a good selection of cutters. Their cutters fit Craftsman, and other heads.

Thanks for the info.
I have been considering one of these.
I was under the impression that Craftsman stopped offering these.
post #13 of 26 Old 12-25-2009, 07:38 PM

View Larry Norton's Photo Album My Photos
Pirate, if you have a dado insert for your table saw, make a spacer that would bring the molding head cutter out so it's centered in the dado insert opening. I used a piece of thin wood, maybe about 1/4in. thick, drilled a 5/8in. hole in the center, slid it on the arbor, then slid on the molding head cutter, then put on the arbor nut. Works like a charm.

Larry
post #14 of 26 Old 12-26-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Norton View Post
Pirate, if you have a dado insert for your table saw, make a spacer that would bring the molding head cutter out so it's centered in the dado insert opening. I used a piece of thin wood, maybe about 1/4in. thick, drilled a 5/8in. hole in the center, slid it on the arbor, then slid on the molding head cutter, then put on the arbor nut. Works like a charm.

Larry
Thats a good idea. I just made a ZCI to fit the saw and cutter.
post #15 of 26 Old 12-28-2009, 01:19 PM

View Gilbert 2nd Hand's Photo Album My Photos
Manual for Craftsman Bench Saw moulding Head

I found a PDF copy of the manual for the three blade cutter head. Mine is Catalog No. 9-3215 which I salvaged from my Father inlaws basement when setteling his estate. I also bought a single blade 9-32003 cutter head at a yard sale and anm looking for the product literature for that one.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSCN1818.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSCN1820.jpg[/quote]
post #16 of 26 Old 12-28-2009, 02:31 PM

View top's Photo Album My Photos
I have use a sear three knife head cutters for year on a ras never tryed it on a ts do a very good job for me OVER THE YEARS

"THE SHOP OF TOP"
post #17 of 26 Old 08-23-2012, 01:28 PM

View Mark3rd's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert 2nd Hand View Post
I found a PDF copy of the manual for the three blade cutter head. Mine is Catalog No. 9-3215 which I salvaged from my Father inlaws basement when setteling his estate. I also bought a single blade 9-32003 cutter head at a yard sale and anm looking for the product literature for that one.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSCN1818.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSCN1820.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I have the single cutter No. 9-32003 you mentioned. It was my father's before he passed on. I have a Sears 10 in. Stationary Table Saw No. 315.228390. I am just starting woodworking and have not used any of these yet. Is the moulding cutter compatable with this table saw?
post #18 of 26 Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 PM

I have a single head craftsman cutter no. 9-32003 left to me by my father. Is it usable on my Sears 10 in. stationary table saw? I am just starting woodworking and have done no work on these yet.
post #19 of 26 Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Craftsman 3 head unit. I have used it successfully several times over the years. When I do I make a new table insert to fit whatever I am using. I am a believer in side and top feather boards. I broke a plastic feather board when one of the knives caught a knot. Clear lumber works better but I was making window boxes to a customers specs. Scared me a little when the piece banged and I saw pieces of the feather board head toward me.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #20 of 26 Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 AM

moulding cutter

Thank you. I am just starting woodworking and a total novice. What is a featherboard and how do you make your inserts?
Thanks..
Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode