Motor Search for Craftsman Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Quickstep
  • 1 Post By Dave McCann

post #1 of 13 Old 07-14-2020, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

View bretthunter1989's Photo Album My Photos
Motor Search for Craftsman Table Saw

Hey there,

I acquired a craftsman table saw (Craftsman 113.298090 // Motor: 62962) from a friend who said it worked perfectly two years ago but had been sitting in his garage since then. When I fired it up for the first time, it began smoking and it smelled like plastic or electrical burning. Thinking it might still be sawdust burning inside the motor, I spent a good deal of time blowing sawdust out of the motor as much as possible, yet it continues to smoke when turned on, and after greasing the direct drive shaft with WD-40, it sparks every time I turn it on.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out where one would buy a replacement motor for this, since Sears no longer sells them and is either out of business or is going out of business nationwide. I just stopped by Harbor freight because a friend of mine (who does construction for a living) told me I could go get a cheap motor from there and swap it out. Not the case.

Does anyone have any idea where to buy a replacement motor for this? The original was a direct drive 2hp but I know the belt drive motors are more powerful, if itís even possible to swap in one of those on this. Very frustrating to say the least, as this is the second tablesaw I have taken from a friend, though I have paid nothing but sweat for them so far.

Thanks for any help!
Brett H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-14-2020, 04:24 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Try Ebay for the motors .....

However, you are investing in a lost cause. The direct drive shafts are no longer being made and do tend to fail. There is no known conversion to make this into a belt drive saw. A very talented and persistent member, Greyeagle, attempted this, but gave up in frustration.
See post 11 here:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...able-saw-3363/

And post 26 here:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...w-3363/index2/

Ebay for the motor:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...motor&_sacat=0

The flex drive shaft:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ex+drive+motor

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-14-2020 at 04:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
bretthunter1989 (07-14-2020)
post #3 of 13 Old 07-14-2020, 04:59 PM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Lowes, menards, ace hardware are all selling craftsmen tools now.

I do believe sears is still selling them aswell.

I would contact one of them to see if replacement parts are available, they may not be.

Sometimes you just have to walk away and cut your losses before they get worse.

If you do find a motor, I personally woud not invest more then 100 in it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-14-2020, 05:09 PM
where's my table saw?

WD 40 on the shaft .......

If it is a flex drive rather than a direct drive, there will be no coupling "shaft" and that is why I posted about the flex drive or flex shaft experience by Greyeagle. I own 3 direct drive 12" table saws made by Craftsman and they are great saws and virtually trouble free. We must be clear about the saw in the question so as to not give incorrect information in the answers. Just checking...... Belt drive saws are a third version of tablesaws made by Craftsman and are the most common contractor type saw out there.

FYI, motors for belt drive saws are a dime a dozen and widely available.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 13 Old 07-14-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If it is a flex drive rather than a direct drive, there will be no coupling "shaft" and that is why I posted about the flex drive or flex shaft experience by Greyeagle. I own 3 direct drive 12" table saws made by Craftsman and they are great saws and virtually trouble free. We must be clear about the saw in the question so as to not give incorrect information in the answers. Just checking...... Belt drive saws are a third version of tablesaws made by Craftsman and are the most common contractor type saw out there.

FYI, motors for belt drive saws are a dime a dozen and widely available.

It is a direct drive motor. The problem is Sears no longer sells them and I canít find them anywhere, whether Loweís, Home Depot, Menards. They just arenít made anymore. Thatís why I mentioned maybe swapping it out with a belt drive but seems like thatís not possible. Have you ever had one of your direct drive motors spark or smoke when being run?

post #6 of 13 Old 07-14-2020, 07:29 PM
where's my table saw?

I just posted this ....somw where?

There are 2 types of direct drive motors:
Most common is a brush type AC/DC motor like on a circular saw. They are noisy and may have a gear reduction between the motor armature and the saw arbor .... I donno?

The second type is an induction motor, AC only with starting and run capacitors. that's the type on my direct drive 12" saws, not very common at all. They often run only on 220 volts and have about 2 HP or so. The armature is the saw arbor in this type of motor, hence the term "direct drive".

This the closest to the that I found on Ebay. I can't tell what type it is, but it does have a gear reduction attached. There may be others on Ebay as well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-1...cAAOSw5wVdk3Uk

Check out this one also;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Craft...ty!48370!US!-1

post #7 of 13 Old 07-14-2020, 08:52 PM

Do you have a photo of the motor, and show where the sparking is happening?

Many electric motors can spark at start up, but its unusual to be able to see it. Typically it would happen on a brush type motor if the brushes are worn, and most induction motors can spark between the rotor and the stator portions at start up when there is the largest energy difference between them.

Burning smell is definitely not normal.

Dave H
post #8 of 13 Old 07-14-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefighter15 View Post
Do you have a photo of the motor, and show where the sparking is happening?

Many electric motors can spark at start up, but its unusual to be able to see it. Typically it would happen on a brush type motor if the brushes are worn, and most induction motors can spark between the rotor and the stator portions at start up when there is the largest energy difference between them.

Burning smell is definitely not normal.

Here is a link to a video of it happening, but didnít video the (very visible & frightening lol) sparks:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/txvWrEszV5No33ir6

post #9 of 13 Old 07-15-2020, 05:52 AM

View HoytC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefighter15 View Post
.. most induction motors can spark between the rotor and the stator portions at start up ...

No, that doesn't happen. You're probably seeing the arcing of the centrifugal switch contacts when the motor gets to speed and the switch opens. That arc dissipates the stored energy of the starter winding's magnetic field.

-----Dave
post #10 of 13 Old 07-15-2020, 06:28 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
See if there's a company in your area that re-builds electric motors. Google "electric motor repair"
Echo415 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickstep For This Useful Post:
bretthunter1989 (07-15-2020)
post #11 of 13 Old 07-15-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytC View Post
No, that doesn't happen. You're probably seeing the arcing of the centrifugal switch contacts when the motor gets to speed and the switch opens. That arc dissipates the stored energy of the starter winding's magnetic field.

Your probably right.

Dave H
post #12 of 13 Old 07-15-2020, 08:58 AM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretthunter1989 View Post
Hey there,

I acquired a craftsman table saw (Craftsman 113.298090 // Motor: 62962) from a friend who said it worked perfectly two years ago but had been sitting in his garage since then. When I fired it up for the first time, it began smoking and it smelled like plastic or electrical burning. Thinking it might still be sawdust burning inside the motor, I spent a good deal of time blowing sawdust out of the motor as much as possible, yet it continues to smoke when turned on, and after greasing the direct drive shaft with WD-40, it sparks every time I turn it on.

Thanks for any help!
Brett H

I've never had anything good come from spraying WD40 penetrant on or into an electric motor. Or did you use a WD40 product which is an actual lube (they make several choices), rather than a penetrant?

I would suggest complete disassembly of the motor allowing one to clean , lube and/or replace the bearings and internal switches and or brushes, if used.
bretthunter1989 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-15-2020, 12:45 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McCann View Post
I've never had anything good come from spraying WD40 penetrant on or into an electric motor. Or did you use a WD40 product which is an actual lube (they make several choices), rather than a penetrant?

I would suggest complete disassembly of the motor allowing one to clean , lube and/or replace the bearings and internal switches and or brushes, if used.
Dave makes a good point. To expand on it, you can get a spray can of electric contact cleaner/lube at the big box stores in the electric dept. Follow the directions as you need to wait for everything to be dry before applying electric power. You may be able to restore normal operation with a thorough cleaning, but a full disassembly may be the best option at this point due to the WD40 contamination and to prolong the life of the motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode