Moisture movement/ The MC animal - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 12-07-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Moisture movement/ The MC animal

This is a highly common problem that is less discussed OR at least less believed on it's strength AND change effects.

SORRY no pics at this time BUT I'll tell the story/details.....
I've had a prospective client on my waiting list just to inspect his possible job and sometime he had a structural engineer come out and inspect with ALL the long list of "problems" and "solutions". He had told me initially he had a porch structure problem and settling....mmmm nothing unusual for me to see or hear of due to most skimp solid footings and place porches on NON-compacted filled soil. Upon arrival he kept telling me the corners were falling outwards (basically a wrap around front porch 60' x 80'x 45' approximates) and the engineers were claiming settling. Upon closer investigation BOTH porch corners were away from house roughly a 1 1/2" both directions BUT everything else against the wall seemed tight (red flag)....I noticed the footer foundation was actually nice and true, it was built with the appearance they were gonna fill with stone and pour a slab on short hieght wall ( good footer, 4-5 block high down to below our frost line (red flag against engineer, NOT settling)). I noticed all the railings weren't against the posts (red flag), I noticed the joists were pulling away at each end (red flag), noticed water stains on top of decking(red flag). I finally stopped the man and said I KNOW your problem, he insisted on telling me what else the engineers report was saying and I politely said "they're wrong" and explained the problem....

The house was nice (I noticed very few corners cut and most of it was fairly quality built). The decking was a composite wood T&G (AS some guess NO moisture issues....WRONG!!!!) It was installed too tightly and zero slope...AFTER explaining and questioning the install procedures I found out they didn't put the quarter(coin) thickness spacing between them BUT had put a GOOD screw in the face and it DIDN'T buckle when MC increased...it literally pushed joists ends apart, railings loose, the corners pyramided out 1 1/2 to 2" at tips.

POINT stated as I've MANY times explained here MOISTURE / MC is a animal, it CAN be tamed and controlled BUT it has to be done correctly!!! This project will be overly expensive MOSTLY due to lack of a spacing/expansion room. 2000 sq ft of porch decks.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2018, 04:23 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Wow. Sounds like a total rebuild of the porch. Is it covered with a roof?

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #3 of 3 Old 12-07-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
Wow. Sounds like a total rebuild of the porch. Is it covered with a roof?
Total and yes also to the roof.

He first thought the roof leaks were porch related until I explained and showed him why they weren't.....then I showed him how it was improperly transitioned from one pitch to another...SAD so many trades can't/don't KNOW their true trade/craft...part of it is the industry also they don't want to change.... as I've designed SEVERAL interlocking trims that work with the different trades to prevent these finger pointing and each trade can do their parts without concern of the next not being able to interlock OR bigger yet do future repairs without destroying another's tradework. Most were originally designed for the metal roofing trade BUT works great with other composites as shingles. They allow for the tweaking needed in correcting alignments without standing out as a issue. They also give the roofs a trimmed and bold look.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode