• 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 3 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 2 Post By IowaDave
  • 1 Post By jpaskell

post #1 of 10 Old 07-29-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

View IowaDave's Photo Album My Photos
Mobile base for table saw

I have a Powermatic PM2000 and I would to make it mobile in my shop. I have a very smooth concrete floor, so it will be easy to move it around on the floor once there are some wheels underneath. Here is the key challenge...I want this to be a low profile base, to keep the table height matching up to other outfeed tables, etc, that I already have.

So I assume that I will need to make something custom and place the wheels outside of the footprint of the cabinet base. Are there any plans/directions that you are aware of to fashion such a base. I have a welder and am assuming that I will be welding something solid. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-30-2019, 12:43 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Here Ya go ......

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...s-v-2-a-11756/

My other mobile base:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...ablesaw-11044/

sweensdv likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-30-2019 at 12:46 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-30-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Exactly what my concept was, thank you. I will read those links and see if I have any other questions. Beautiful work there and thanks for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-30-2019, 09:03 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
The bases above are really nice, but thick. The OP wants a low profile base. What I think the OP wants is a design where the frame of the mobile base is more like a bucket. When lowered, the saw should be no higher than the thickness of the metal plate that supports the saw.

I just bought a SawStop professional cabinet saw with their industrial mobile base. Scroll down the page and look at the photos of that base.

https://www.sawstop.com/table-saws/b...t-saw-mobility

The OP asked about a low profile base. What I want to point out is the design of this base. It is basically a square "bucket" that rises and lowers inside a simple frame with cantilevered wheels. The bucket sits on the ground when the saw is lowered. The saw itself is 1/4 inch above the floor, the thickness of the "bucket" steel itself. In a Pros/Cons description of that mobile base, Trent Davis wrote under Cons: "Will cause you to despise all other mobile bases you ever use." Based on my experience, he's right.

Here is a similar design, but the "bucket" is the frame. The wheels lock the base in place, but the tool rests on the wheels, not on the ground:

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-all-...-up-to-800-lbs

If I were welding my own frame, I might use two fixed wheels in the back, and use something similar to workbench casters to raise and lower it in the front. I put these casters on my spouse's workbench. You can make a step bar to link them together so the base is raised and lowered in one step:

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-work...ter-kit-4-pack

Note: Those workbench casters are designed to support 100 pounds each, and your Powermatic saw weighs around 400 pounds.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-30-2019, 11:33 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Looking at the base built by woodnthings that he linked to it appears to be exactly what the above poster says it isn't. Am I wrong?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #6 of 10 Old 07-30-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Looking at the base built by woodnthings that he linked to it appears to be exactly what the above poster says it isn't. Am I wrong?
It looks like the bases pictured by Woodnthings are taller than I can use in my application, but the concept that he had in building them is transferrable to what I need. His look to be very well built and all I would need to do is adapt somewhat from what he did. So while they are a little too tall for me, they are still helpful to my cause.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-30-2019, 01:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Ok, guys here's how they work .....

The table saw base sits inside the mobile base on the triangluar plates shown here. It's about 1" off the ground that way. The steel channel is either 4" or 5" depending on the weight of the saw, one is a 10"Craftsman, the other is a 12" Powermatic. It's overkill in both cases, but that what I had on hand. They do NOT tip over.
FrankC, IowaDave and Tool Agnostic like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-30-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The table saw base sits inside the mobile base on the triangluar plates shown here. It's about 1" off the ground that way. The steel channel is either 4" or 5" depending on the weight of the saw, one is a 10"Craftsman, the other is a 12" Powermatic. It's overkill in both cases, but that what I had on hand. They do NOT tip over. [Photo of frame, see above.]
Thanks for the clarification. It is a "bucket" design - I did not realize that the saw base rests on the triangles inside the frame.
IowaDave likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Thanks for the clarification. It is a "bucket" design - I did not realize that the saw base rests on the triangles inside the frame.

I too did not pick up on the fact that the base will rest inside the bucket, thank you for the clarification. I like this concept a lot, as I can see where this design will add much to the strength and durability of the finished product.

I hope to get my base fabbed up in the next couple of weeks and will post my end product for reference when done. Thanks again for the great ideas and pictures, etc.
woodnthings and Tool Agnostic like this.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-09-2019, 04:43 PM

View jpaskell's Photo Album My Photos
IowaDave,
I found a helpful site called woodworkers for mere mortals.
Steve Ramsery a good source for small projects for your shop and home.
I found a free download for a simple cabinet for most if my portable cabinets for my table saw, router table, band saw, etc. They need modification to suit your needs, but very helpful.
Look on YouTube for "mobile table saw cart"
Hope this helps,
Jim
IowaDave likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode