Mobile base for 1,600 lb jointer? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 15 Old 10-21-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

View farnsyboy's Photo Album My Photos
Mobile base for 1,600 lb jointer?

I'm looking at upgrading to a 12-inch or 16-inch jointer, but I can't find any woodworking mobile bases on the market to support a tool of this weight or size. The heaviest jointer I'm looking at is 1,600 lbs with a footprint of 57" x 23". I have concrete flooring in my garage. I would really like to keep my shop mobile. I have looked at Air Casters, but don't see any prices online (probably because they are only sold for industrial use). Any ideas? Custom fabrication maybe? I have seen this one on Amazon, but it's a 1,500 lb rating short and not large enough (even with the optional extension bars): https://amzn.to/35NbpdL

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-21-2019, 04:34 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Can you weld?

If you have a MIG welder, and a metal cutting bandsaw, you're all set. I had some HD casters and threaded lift pads on hand, but the pads would be easy to make and I would probably use 6 casters or 8 rather than 4, like I used here. I used either 5" or 6" channel for the entire build, I can't recall:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...ablesaw-11044/

BigJim likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 15 Old 10-21-2019, 05:42 PM

View 13579's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsyboy View Post
I'm looking at upgrading to a 12-inch or 16-inch jointer, but I can't find any woodworking mobile bases on the market to support a tool of this weight or size. The heaviest jointer I'm looking at is 1,600 lbs with a footprint of 57" x 23". I have concrete flooring in my garage. I would really like to keep my shop mobile. I have looked at Air Casters, but don't see any prices online (probably because they are only sold for industrial use). Any ideas? Custom fabrication maybe? I have seen this one on Amazon, but it's a 1,500 lb rating short and not large enough (even with the optional extension bars): https://amzn.to/35NbpdL

Thanks in advance!
Your likely need to dyi it. HD casters to hold 400-500# each. $ 20- 25 each. 1 1\2" steel square tube welded in rectangle and 3/8" steel plate load bearing plates welded to set the jointer fee on. Good caster and stand design will get you what is needed. Tom

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-21-2019, 08:01 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.mcmaster.com/2468T53

Theyre out there, just depends on how much you want to pay. You sure this needs to be mobile? Even on casters, 1600lbs isnt going to move easy

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 15 Old 10-22-2019, 01:59 PM
where's my table saw?

Just use this .....

This will support the weight easily, and has built in mobility. Once you locate your jointer, lower it to the floor and remove the jack for storage under a low cabinet. Price is also within the range of having one built:

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-ton...ack-68760.html

Cheaper:
https://www.toolots.com/manual-palle...gaAgHhEALw_wcB

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 15 Old 10-22-2019, 04:54 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
i'd use steel wheels, most heavy carts in machining plants use steel wheels for the heavy stuff
and then do something like woodnthings suggested
post #7 of 15 Old 10-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
This will support the weight easily, and has built in mobility. Once you locate your jointer, lower it to the floor and remove the jack for storage under a low cabinet. Price is also within the range of having one built:

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-ton...ack-68760.html

Cheaper:
https://www.toolots.com/manual-palle...gaAgHhEALw_wcB
I like the idea of a pallet jack, not sure it would have the right stability for a machine that large, with the length of tables you would expect on a machine that size.

Last edited by shoot summ; 10-22-2019 at 05:27 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-22-2019, 06:47 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Mobile base for a 1,600 lb. jointer? Isn't that called a truck and trailer?

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #9 of 15 Old 10-22-2019, 07:30 PM
where's my table saw?

I just remembered this ......

I made a mobile base for a 19" Grizzly bandsaw, which I no longer own. The saw sits into a weld frame and the casters are mounter outboard for greater stability, similar to what a jointer would require:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...le-base-11971/

post #10 of 15 Old 10-23-2019, 07:10 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I like the idea of a pallet jack, not sure it would have the right stability for a machine that large, with the length of tables you would expect on a machine that size.
I thought the intention was to use the pallet jack to move a non-mobile base.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-23-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

View farnsyboy's Photo Album My Photos
I like this idea. So you're saying that I should essentially keep it on a strong wood base, and then just lift the jointer with the pallet jack, move the wooden base to where I want it, and lower the jointer onto the relocated base with the pallet jack?
post #12 of 15 Old 10-23-2019, 12:22 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsyboy View Post
I like this idea. So you're saying that I should essentially keep it on a strong wood base, and then just lift the jointer with the pallet jack, move the wooden base to where I want it, and lower the jointer onto the relocated base with the pallet jack?
If I read you right, no.

Build a super-strong, durable "pallet." It is really a stand, but with the slots and spaces necessary for a pallet jack and its wheels. Anchor the jointer to the "pallet." Its weight alone might be enough to hold it in place.

Use the pallet jack to lift the pallet and jointer together, move them together to their new location, and lower them. Put the pallet jack out of the way. Operate the jointer while it is on the "pallet/stand."

When it is time to put the jointer away, get out the pallet jack and move the pallet/stand together to their storage location.

-> The real trick will be lifting the jointer and getting it positioned on the pallet/stand.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-23-2019, 01:14 PM
where's my table saw?

In my experience ...

I think that you will tire of this process, unless it's only on a rare occasion. An attached caster base like I showed above, would be more practical, even though the pallet jack was my own idea. I have a 900 lb Powermatic on casters and screw down leveling pads and it's still a heavy load to move. The casters develop a flat and once you get it moving, it's OK. The offset height casters keep the machine height about 1/2" within normal. The lower the better for a jointer where you are always applying downward pressure from the shoulders down.

Leaving the casters on without the jack pads will be fine. Just use wooden or plastic wedges between the floor and the base and drive them in from opposite directions when you get it located. Chain saw falling wedges are nice and uniform and are a bright color for appearance.

https://www.amazon.com/Timber-Savage...1847194&sr=8-5

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-23-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-23-2019, 01:33 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Personally I believe if you are getting into big heavy machinery you need to decide you are going to have a permanent spot for it. The last thing you need to do is trip over an outboard castor or high base for a lift truck while running a board through the jointer. I have worked on some machinery that had interchangeable components and can tell you moving a top heavy unit is not easy even with a professionally designed roller stand by one person.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #15 of 15 Old 10-23-2019, 01:55 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
i agree with Frank, when you get that big, you are taking a serious step toward heavy woodworking - make the commitment and tell the wife to park outside. if you really need to keep the shop mobile, step down to an 8".

ps i talk big when my wife isn't around :^P

Last edited by TimPa; 10-23-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Tags
jointer, mobile base

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode