Miter Saw...10 or 12...slide or no? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
Miter Saw...10 or 12...slide or no?

I can't believe a search didn't produce 100's of these...

If it's been brought up before, I'd love to read the comments. Otherwise...

I have a 10" miter, and hate it every time I have to cut something beyond it's capabilities. I'm trying to decide if I want a 12" non-slider, or a 10 slider...or even a 12" slider.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter as far as general preference? Will the 10" slider do that much more than than the standard 12"? Or just go for the big dawg and get the 12" slider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 07:58 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_J View Post

I have a 10" miter, and hate it every time I have to cut something beyond it's capabilities. I'm trying to decide if I want a 12" non-slider, or a 10 slider...or even a 12" slider.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter as far as general preference? Will the 10" slider do that much more than than the standard 12"? Or just go for the big dawg and get the 12" slider?
I've got a 10" non-slider and a 10" slider......so no opinion on the 12" stuff.
How about checking the capacities of each tool and see which one will provide the capabilities that you need. What type of work are you doing? Will you need a high end tool or will a less expensive tool work for you? Are you brand loyal?
post #3 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

I have looked at the specs and to be honest, I can't really think of a situation where I would need the 12" slider. But, I've also bought stuff with features that I thought I would never use, that I ended up using a lot.

Not brand loyal at all...I'm a weekend warrior that will probably only use it a few times a year. I'm thinking as long as it will cut a 4x4 at 45 degrees and a 2x10, it would probably fit my needs most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

"
I have a 10" miter, and hate it every time I have to cut something beyond it's capabilities"

That is the key statement in your post, but you do not explain. What do you mean "beyond it's capabilities?"

I have one of the less expensive Craftsman 10" sliders and am perfectly happy with it. My hobby work does not involve cutting any abnormally thick(it easily handles 3 1/2" thick) material so I have no need of 12" capability. A 12" board is right on the borderline of its crosscut capability.

I think the versatility is a slider makes it the choice over a chop saw. You also want at least one side compound.

George
post #5 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I have looked at the specs and to be honest, I can't really think of a situation where I would need the 12" slider. But, I've also bought stuff with features that I thought I would never use, that I ended up using a lot.

Not brand loyal at all...I'm a weekend warrior that will probably only use it a few times a year. I'm thinking as long as it will cut a 4x4 at 45 degrees and a 2x10, it would probably fit my needs most of the time.
WOOD magazine did a review of 10" sliders a while back. They reviewed the major brands. Did you check out the Bosch...takes up less room front to back, based on design, than most of the other good ones. Some of the others have come out with a compact space design. If you don't want to spend too much look at WOOD's picks for less expensive models.
post #6 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Well, I doubt anyone can give you an opinion on what you should have or what you need. It does come down to need, want, availability and budget. For the
Quote:
I'm a weekend warrior that will probably only use it a few times a year.
woodworker, how much money do you want sitting there waiting to be used? These things sell for $100+ to $600 or more. I have a 12" slider that would have been a 12" non-slider if I didn't get a deal and it's also 2nd hand. I am also a homeowner and like having it sitting there but would never have spent $600 for a saw that gets used occasionally.

Start with your budget. Do you have $200-$300-$400 to spend? Can you sell you existing saw? What do you really want for capability?

Quote:
I'm thinking as long as it will cut a 4x4 at 45 degrees and a 2x10, it would probably fit my needs most of the time.
If this is really your need buy the saw around that.

Once a year, Dewalt sells their dumbed down 12" slider, currently the DWS709 on sale for $350. Should be coming up soon. Maybe you can wait...maybe you can't. It doesn't come with a light or laser but for price, it is a lot of saw. Not really a recommendation, just something to think about.

Have fun with your search.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 09:30 AM

Based on what you are cutting i.e. construction lumber 4 X 4s and 2 X 12s, you probably don't need a high end expensive slider.
As the other poster did, I bought a SEARS 10" slider model 21237 based on the WOOD mag reviews. I needed it to cut some oak stair treads and risers. I was able to get very good cuts and accuracy with it. I stopped buying SEARS power tools years ago and although this tool probably wouldn't stand up to heavy daily use it does work well.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 12:08 PM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
I recently bought the Bosch 10" Dual Bevel Glide and I love it! It cost a small fortune, but the cuts are dead on and repeatable. I looked at several saws, including the Milwaukee 12" Slider (on a huge sale including the stand), but feared that there was too much chance for flexing with the larger blade. Plus, I rarely cut anything larger than what the 10" can handle. Repeatability and accuracy were my biggest needs and this tool certainly does that.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 12:53 PM

View Dan3103's Photo Album My Photos
I had a 10" Milwaukee slider, it was ok but did not angle to both sides. It was also getting a little long in the tooth, so I started the search. I ended up with a DeWalt 12" slider. It's a great saw. The selling point for me was the lights that cast a shadow on both sides of the blade so you can always tell where the kerf will be. The shadow never needs adjustment like a laser will. I got mine at HD when they were having a sale that included the miter saw stand.

I looked at Makita and Bosch in my search (not much else was available in my town), but ended up with the DeWalt. I am very happy with my purchase.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
In my opinion the middle of the road all round bang for the buck comes with the 10" slider, blades are cheaper, and it has a smaller foot print. It will do at least 90% of what the average person needs, for the few times extra capacity is required just flip the board and finish the cut from the other side.

If you are frequently cutting larger than the capacity of one saw then step up to the next size, only you can determine this.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #11 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Have any of you found that you like the fixed saw over the slider?
post #12 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Not Me.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #13 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 03:10 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Absolutely!

Much more precise when you don't add the slop of a sliding mechanism.

If you need the capacity, get a quality radial am saw.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #14 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Interested Observer

I like my sliders. A lot.
post #15 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntrdr View Post
Absolutely!

Much more precise when you don't add the slop of a sliding mechanism.

If you need the capacity, get a quality radial am saw.
Or a quality slider.

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #16 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 03:25 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
When mdntrdr speaks,folks should listen.

Heck,I've been doing a gethef..koutofhere money kitchen,out of town...dontcha love it.Took some POS chop box.And I swear....was wishing I had my MF hand box.

It's like,there's only 20 or so cuts,and it's pay me,let's go out to eat fried chicken?Just don't get it?mdntrdr does.Best to you,hoping you the very best.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWSmith For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (07-25-2016)
post #17 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Yes. Accuracy is saw dependent so apples and oranges there.
Dust collection is a whole lot easier with a fixed miter saw!!!!
post #18 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 03:40 PM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIEM View Post
Dust collection is a whole lot easier with a fixed miter saw!!!!
Dust collection on my new Bosch is certainly a lot worse even than the dust collection on my old 10" slider. Hooking it up to a vacuum improves the dust collection dramatically, though. I don't care much about dust collection if I'm using it for an outdoor project, but it makes a big difference when I'm in the shop.
post #19 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 04:40 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
I like my sliders. A lot.
Absolutely agree. Have not noticed any sloppiness in my saw and accuracy is fine.

George
sbrader likes this.

Last edited by GeorgeC; 07-25-2016 at 05:57 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 05:22 PM
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Absolutely agree. Have not noticed any sloppiness in my say and accuracy is fine.

George
Me neither. Is there some flex or could I produce some flex? Well, sure. I could produce some flex in any saw. I could produce some flex in a T-square fence for that matter. My experience with sliders indicates they are tight and accurate. Just as accurate as the non-sliders or fixed miter saws I have used.

Others experience may differ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode