Miter Joint for platform bed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

View bake8c's Photo Album My Photos
Miter Joint for platform bed

Hello all, first time posting here...looking for a bit of your knowledge...hopefully I can explain this correctly in a way everyone can understand. While I've always had a knack for buidling things, I don't have nearly all the knowledge or terms. I'm building a type of platform bed using 2x8's to essentially frame the mattress. I was able to use trial and error with scrap wood to get my 45 degree bevel cuts correct to result in a true 90 degree joint. I'm now looking for some knowledge in joining these mitered edges. My initial thought was screws, but again through testing on scraps I've found when drilling these screws in and tightening them down the edges slip and and up out of line. Is there a simple solution like letting wood glue set up prior to drilling pilot holes and screwing....or maybe a temporary block screwed into the two pieces inside the joint prior to the permament screws so they can't slip? Or should I be considering a different type of joinery all together like dowels? You're time and knowledge us greatly appreciated as I am trying to learn every day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 AM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
If you are ok with screws showing then yes let the glue setup first then screw. The block at the back would be better as you could reinforce the joint and hide the screws.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 AM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
Im not sure this will work the way your wanting. When you screw it together, your leveraging the incline to pull the joint out of alignment. To screw from the outside, you would be better served with a butt joint.

Yes you can glue the miter, and as long as the glue remains the primary retainer, the joint will stay aligned. but then whats the point of the screw?

you might use a spline to align the joint.

Or use a permanent block inside the corner to screw against and reinforce it as the previous person suggested. I dont know if we are talking about fine furniture here, when you say things like 2x8's suggesting common softwood lumber I imagine not? So maybe the simplest solution is a metal brace

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-27-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

View bake8c's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the ideas. While the spline would probably get me closest to what I want visually, I think the metal brace may be a better alternative as I'm not confident in my abilities to do the spline yet. Definitely not fine furniture, just a weekend project to help familiarize with the saws, angled cuts, etc. cheap dimensional lumber is all I'm using here, it'll be painted and being a real first project I wanted to keep the cost down as I anticipate a bit of trial and error. I considered butt joints...and while it isn't fine furniture I did still want to hide the end grains for a cleaner look. I considered trying dowels rather than screws. Cleaner and still sturdy. I'll think on it a bit more today and have a go at something tonight. Thanks again!
post #5 of 5 Old 04-27-2015, 12:44 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Use a block of wood or metal angle iron inside the corner with clamps to keep it in position while the glue sets and the screws or dowels are inserted as shown here:
http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Keeping..._it_square.htm

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode