Miter gauges, which one? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 8 Old 11-10-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Miter gauges, which one?

Over the past years about 50, I have acquired a few different miter gauges. I thought I would pass along a few examples and some tips I have. The most accurate is the larger Incra and has a vernier adjustment to under 1 degree. The smaller Incra is very accurate and fine for most work. The old Craftsman with the 36" sacrificial fence has seen a lot of use. The dual Craftsman gauges are used like a cross cut sled for 90 degree cross cuts only. The basic gauge is shown first, a Grizzly with bar slop adjustment, a great feature. The newer Craftsman with the hold down and sliding fence bar is a pretty good one, tho I don't use the hold down much. The Osborne has a unique and precise adjustment bar rather than a degree wheel and pointer. bill

BTW the Incra's miter bars are too short for my liking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1259.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	11454  

Name:	100_1262.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	11455  

Name:	100_1263.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	11456  

Name:	100_1264.jpg
Views:	1873
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	11457  

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-14-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-10-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

More pix

More photos of miter gauges;
The last photo show a quick way to square the gauge with the table edge keeping a small parallel gap. bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1265.jpg
Views:	7254
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	11458  

Name:	100_1267.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	11459  

Name:	100_1269.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	11460  

Name:	100_1270.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	11461  

Attached Images

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-10-2009 at 04:26 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-10-2009, 03:40 PM
John

View The Everyman Show's Photo Album My Photos
Woodenthings thank you for sharing those pics and that is quite a collection. I must admit I feel truly miter gauge deficient after looking at all those different types. I still only possess the one my saw came with and I have since built two cross cut sleds one for 90 degree and one for 45 degree.
I am interested - do you find you use them all for different sawing activities or, as your collection grew, do you find yourself favoring a single one over others which would serve the same function?

John.

You'll never make yourself taller by standing on another mans shoulders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I like that tandem Craftsman setup. Could almost negate the necessity of a sled.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-10-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Everyman Show View Post
Woodenthings thank you for sharing those pics and that is quite a collection. I must admit I feel truly miter gauge deficient after looking at all those different types. I still only possess the one my saw came with and I have since built two cross cut sleds one for 90 degree and one for 45 degree.
I am interested - do you find you use them all for different sawing activities or, as your collection grew, do you find yourself favoring a single one over others which would serve the same function?
Everyman,

The one I use is the one I can find! I'm still tryin' to find the top of my table saw. Believe it or not they all fit on my twin engined saw except, the new Craftsman with the hold down clamp. It won't even slide in the groove, so that one is used only on the new Craftsman saw 22124. I left out one from the Powerematic 68 12" saw, but no one will know unless they read this! I do like and use the small Incra a lot, since the angle setting is very precise. The large Incra is new and I haven't found a "need" for it yet, but hey, it was on sale...saved about $80. The sliding table saws are real appealing, SCMI and others like Gus Dearing has, but I'm only a retired woodworker and even that's questionable. ( the woodworker part)

Gene,
The "dual" set up just assures more support for 90 degree cuts, but a crosscut sled would be the way to go for accurate miters if you didn't have a RAS or a SCMS . My theory is ...long workpieces, move the saw, use a miter saw. For short workpieces ( 12" and less), move the work, use a tablesaw.
BTW another 5" or so of length on the miter bar would be great if manufactures would make them a little longer. JMO bill

post #6 of 8 Old 02-02-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Two miter gauges attached ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
I like that tandem Craftsman setup. Could almost negate the necessity of a sled.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/c...led-jig-30811/

post #7 of 8 Old 02-02-2017, 02:25 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I'd never seen an Osborne.
Thanks.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-02-2017, 02:37 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
I'd never seen an Osborne.
Thanks.
Ain't he the guy you can't understand anything he says. :smile3:
ducbsa likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode