Miter or butt joint for post? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
Miter or butt joint for post?

I'm building some bed posts that will be 4" square and about 4 feet long. I'll be building the posts hollow out of 4/4 maple stock. I was planning on cutting 45 bevels along the side pieces and joining the pieces with glue and pin nails. I've been concerned that the corners will open up over time and am thinking that butt joints may be more robust. Can Anyone with experience with bevel miters give me some advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me, I would not make the posts hollow. I'd glue them to a substrate and 45 the edges of the outer boards. But when I make beds, I attach the bed rails to the posts so in my opinion, they need to be stout.

But that's just my opinion.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks bradnailer. I definitely want them stout. I'll have the posts permanently affixed to the head/foot boards and have removable rails. I will be capping the top and bottom of the hollow posts with 6/4 material to give it extra stability along the bevel joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM

View wood8671's Photo Album My Photos
It never fails when we make a hollow post with mitered edges, they always open. We have gone the route of even using plenty of screws, but they always open.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
I've tried mitre and butt and both have worked.

Mitre problem can be that your saw does not quite layover to 45. I would even consider going just e re so slightly over 45 so your outside edge is always closed up tight.

As for hollow legs or solid, my preference would be for solid in this application.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
post #6 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 PM

View Woodenhorse's Photo Album My Photos
An easy way to accomplish the look you are after is to glue boards up as a lamination and apply a veneer to cover the laminations. That solves the problem of worrying about the miters and gives a solid post with similar grain on all four faces.

Those who say it cannot be done should stay out of the way of the people doing it.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
I concur with the glue-up lamination with a veneer to cover the laminations. The core can be some pretty crappy scraps from the same wood you are going to use for the rest of the project. This is how it is possible to achieve quarter sawn white oak on all four surfaces of craftsman style furniture.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

I love this forum! I hadn't even considered the glue up lamination with a veneer. A quick question about this method - will I only use a veneer on the two sides that are showing the laminated edge grain? Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
There are a few ways to do these posts.

You could use solid stock ", and just butt the front to the sides...etc.

You could use " stock and rabbet the joints. Then you only show or less of the edge thickness.

You could use a lock miter bit.

You could make the core out of anything, and cover with " Maple plywood.

You could make the core out of anything and just use a Maple veneer as a cover.

post #10 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
There are a few ways to do these posts.

You could use solid stock ", and just butt the front to the sides...etc.

You could use " stock and rabbet the joints. Then you only show or less of the edge thickness.

You could use a lock miter bit.

You could make the core out of anything, and cover with " Maple plywood.

You could make the core out of anything and just use a Maple veneer as a cover.

I like either one of these two:

"You could use " stock and rabbet the joints. Then you only show or less of the edge thickness.

You could use a lock miter bit."

My preference would be for the rabbet method just so that it was not a plain square post.

I would not worry about the post not being solid. The 3/4" thickness should be sufficient from which to hang the rails.

George
post #11 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I <3 the smell of sawdust

View JohnnyTooBad's Photo Album My Photos
I have made some hollow core posts before (porch posts, mailbox post, cover for a steel support beam in the basement, box pedestals for a DR table). I didn't want end grain showing because they were made of plywood. I rip them at 45* and use glue and biscuits. I haven't had one come apart or show a gap yet.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM

View kelsky's Photo Album My Photos
I recently did 4 x 4 legs for a table using a corner lock miter bit. Took me a few trial runs to get it right, but finally nailed it. I like this way better than a miter. Make sure your router fence is solid if you go this route. Mine wasn't and so the last two inches the router grabbed the piece and dug in a little more. Fortunately I never cut to finish size until I am ready to assemble. I am going to fill the center with a scrap piece for added strength.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM

View Woodenhorse's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterjer
I love this forum! I hadn't even considered the glue up lamination with a veneer. A quick question about this method - will I only use a veneer on the two sides that are showing the laminated edge grain? Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
The veneer would only be applied to the two sides showing the laminated edge grain. Others have mentioned a lock miter. Some craftsman furniture used this technique for posts with a core. If you make the posts hollow you still have to address the open top and bottom. Also, a solid construction would give better support if you want to incorporate mortise and tenon joinery for any rails.

Those who say it cannot be done should stay out of the way of the people doing it.

Last edited by Woodenhorse; 02-12-2013 at 01:57 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions and sharing your experience. I really like the locking miter joint. I think I'll go that route.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 11:32 AM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
I made hollow columns for a railing installation in our house. I beveled the edges of each piece, and cut slots in the bevel faces for spline joints. They've been in place for 10+ years with no joints opening up (yet!). Clamping them all for gluing was an adventure, but it all worked out.

Here's a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rail2.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	62612  

Name:	rail4.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	62613  

Name:	rail5.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	62614  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode