Method of Preservation? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 2 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

View NatureDrum's Photo Album My Photos
Method of Preservation?

Hello, woodworking aficionados!

Some years ago I was hiking through the Idaho wilderness when I stumbled upon a particularly cool looking tree-not that looks like an eye. I believe it's from a type of Pine tree, but cannot be certain as I am no arborist. To keep things short, I would like to preserve this piece, but am not quite sure of the best way to go about it. Instead of imposing my own suggestions, I would like to ask all of you fine folks for yours.

Also, there is a piece that has since separated from the top-- I was planning on just using wood glue to re-attach it, but am open to ideas there as well. Thanks in advance for any input you might have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-Eye03.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	389801  

Name:	A-Eye02.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	589.5 KB
ID:	389803  

Name:	A-Eye01-2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	389805  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 11:04 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
what do you want to preserve it from ???
it is already probably 200 years old and is doing just fine.
(if it ain't broke - don't fix it).
wood glue will work for the loose piece IF there is a tight bond
with no big gaps.
do it neatly - do not over glue it. you will not be able to remove
the glue stain if it smears out.
thickened epoxy would be my first choice - not yellow glue.

Tony B likes this.

I am a painter: that's what I do, I like to paint things.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 11:14 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Anything you put on it will change the color and the shine of it. As long as you're planning to keep it inside, it shouldn't be subject to rot or other issues.

If on the other hand, you do want to change its color etc, let us know what you're looking for and someone can make suggestions.

As John said, be careful with the glue. Find a place where there's good contact between the pieces and put a tiny amount of glue there. It doesn't need to support anything but itself, so only a small amount is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 01:45 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Perfectly preserve it for generations to come? Resin stabilize it, then cast it in a block of acrylic

'Preserving' is a very nebulous concept. What a museum would do to preserve something might be different from what a homeowner would. A Carpenter might preserve his tools by cleaning any rust off and replacing damaged handles or parts, the Smithsonian would have a heart attach if they found out that someone replaced the handle on a chisel used by... some famous carpenter. Look, i suck at analogies, the point is we need more details on the goal you want before we can give solid advise

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 06:16 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I am with those who say leave it alone unless there is a known. Nature preserved it long before you found it. There is no reason it will not last 100's of years just as it is unless humans do something to damage it.

George
ScubaDoog and John Smith_inFL like this.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 04:51 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Assuming that you desire for the ultimate look to be that of finished wood.

I would glue the pieces together using as little glue as possible. Allow the glue to cure for a week or two. Then put the piece in a gallon size baggie and cover with MinWax Antique Oil Finish. Close the baggie with the zip lock. Leave the piece in the baggie for a couple of weeks and the MAOF should fully penetrate the piece. Remove the piece and gently rub any MAOF off with a micro fiber or terry cloth. Finally allow the MAOF dry on a sheet of wax paper for a week or so. You can pour the MAOF back into the can for use elsewhere.

Note: Some aficionados would say to use a Danish Oil product like Watco.

Note 2: You don't have your location visible. If you are in California, CARB has prohibited the sale of MAOF within the state. You'll have to take the piece to Nevada or Arizona to allow the MAOF to soak into the piece.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon

Last edited by NoThankyou; 05-21-2020 at 04:54 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

View NatureDrum's Photo Album My Photos
NatureDrum

First of all, thank all of you for your input and prompt responses. I have read and appreciate all of them. Second, I apologize for wasting the time of those requesting more specificity regarding exactly what I was intending to "preserve" it from. The ambiguity was intentional as I was hoping for some random, more "out of the box," approaches. Speaking of which, thank you epicfail48 for yours. I rather enjoy the idea of casting it, but haven't looked into pricing as I assumed it would be too expensive.

As for the piece, I am really only trying to prevent it from drying out, cracking more, and eventually crumbling to pieces. Preserving as much of the natural color as I can would be nice, but not entirely necessary if I could find a product that would accentuate its features. I have thrown trusses and built decks, so I am aware of stains, lacquers, and sealants but I'm just not sure if one certain thing would be best in this particular scenario.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 01:08 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureDrum View Post
Speaking of which, thank you epicfail48 for yours. I rather enjoy the idea of casting it, but haven't looked into pricing as I assumed it would be too expensive.
Not as much as you might think actually. Not cheap either, but not prohibitively expensive. Casting isnt bad, the amount of resin youd need to make a block like that shouldnt be too horrible and mold boxes are pretty cheap to make, just some hot glue and plexiglass. Stabilization is the pricier part, but even farming a piece like that out probably wouldnt be horrible. Having someone else do all the work, maybe $150-200 all said, going off my prices at least. Doing it yourself would have the equipment cost, but youd be able to use the equipment on other projects

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #9 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 01:25 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Just don't keep it in a moist environment or in direct sunlight and it'll be fine. Adding finish of sorts could do more harm than good and change the look of the piece. It is super cool looking piece by the way!

-T

It's not bad to dream. But you also have to consider what's realistic. -All Might (Boku no Hero Academia)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode