Mesh sandpapers vs regular (Abranet or SandNet) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

View sanvito's Photo Album My Photos
Mesh sandpapers vs regular (Abranet or SandNet)

Hello,
I been going through way too many Mirka sandpaper discs, and then when I realize I'm out of a certain grit, I have to wait 2 days for a new shipment.

I just saw these at Home Deport and was wondering if they are worth the higher cost upfront. Diablo SandNet

Also, I been reading reviews that with these, I may not need to follow the sequence as much because of LESS SCRATCH MARKS. For example, to refinish a table, I start with 80 / 120 / 220. Instead of the normal 80 / 100 / 120 / 150 / 180 / 220.

Is this true?

Last edited by sanvito; 04-22-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 01:58 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanvito View Post
Hello,
I been going through way too many Mirka sandpaper discs, and then when I realize I'm out of a certain grit, I have to wait 2 days for a new shipment.

I just saw these at Home Deport and was wondering if they are worth the higher cost upfront. Diablo SandNet

Also, I been reading reviews that with these, I may not need to follow the sequence as much because of LESS SCRATCH MARKS. For example, to refinish a table, I start with 80 / 120 / 220. Instead of the normal 80 / 100 / 120 / 150 / 180 / 220.

Is this true?
Those pads are really not for sanding wood. They are more suited for something that sands easier and tends to make a lot more dust like sanding drywall mud.

The sander itself makes a considerable difference. I normally go from 80 to 180 and call it done. Some sanders run at a slower rpm so the 80 grit could very easily make swirls which would be more difficult to get rid of. I get very little swirl marks with mirka 80x.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The sander itself makes a considerable difference. I normally go from 80 to 180 and call it done. Some sanders run at a slower rpm so the 80 grit could very easily make swirls which would be more difficult to get rid of. I get very little swirl marks with mirka 80x.
I been getting too many swirl marks with Mirka 80, and maybe because I don't change it often enough.

So in theory, this mesh thing can be shaken out, and which may cause less swirl marks? So again in theory, I can skip 100 and jump to 120, then skip 150, 180, and jump to 220.

Last edited by sanvito; 04-22-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 02:46 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Steve, I’d love to be able to skip all those in-between grits. What kind of sander are you using that allows you to go from 80-180?

Sanvito, if you try these, please report back.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Steve, Id love to be able to skip all those in-between grits. What kind of sander are you using that allows you to go from 80-180?

I use a sander which has been discontinued. I buy one when ever I find one but haven't seen a new one for sale in a couple years. It's a Porter Cable Quicksand random orbital sander. http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/pr332.htm
post #6 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I been getting too many swirl marks with Mirka 80, and maybe because I don't change it often enough.

So in theory, this mesh thing can be shaken out, and which may cause less swirl marks? So again in theory, I can skip 100 and jump to 120, then skip 150, 180, and jump to 220.
The swirl marks are caused by the grit of the sander, not the dust that accumulates under it. If anything the swirl marks should more shallow the more the paper is worn. If you are having difficulty with swirl marks the problem is with the speed of the sander.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok, so I tested the following on sanding down a walnut table to bare wood. I used a Makita cordless sander with 80 grit.

1. Diablo SandNet (home depot)
complete FAIL. The sanding dust never went into the sander bag. It just sat on the table. I used the adapter pad, and overall, just useless.

2. Diablo paper
ok job

3. Mirka paper
Yep, it lasted longer and less dust on the wood. And I skipped to 120, then 220 as I saw less swirls marks.

I'm ordering more Mirkas now !
post #8 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 06:56 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Ok, so I tested the following on sanding down a walnut table to bare wood. I used a Makita cordless sander with 80 grit.

1. Diablo SandNet (home depot)
complete FAIL. The sanding dust never went into the sander bag. It just sat on the table. I used the adapter pad, and overall, just useless.

2. Diablo paper
ok job

3. Mirka paper
Yep, it lasted longer and less dust on the wood. And I skipped to 120, then 220 as I saw less swirls marks.

I'm ordering more Mirkas now !
Don't take offense but the sander on its own has worthless dust collection. Thinking that you're collecting anything worthwhile in the factory supplied bag...its more like an exhaust filter.

Old paper doesn't make more marks, it just becomes less effective in removing material as the grit is worn down. How often are you changing paper? I often go several projects on a single piece before worrying about changing it. Are you putting pressure on the sander while sanding? If so, just let gravity and the sander do its job.

IMO, 80 grit is 80 grit regardless of the brand of paper.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo415 View Post
Don't take offense but the sander on its own has worthless dust collection. Thinking that you're collecting anything worthwhile in the factory supplied bag...its more like an exhaust filter.

IMO, 80 grit is 80 grit regardless of the brand of paper.
The tiny makita dust collector works great for the Mirka paper. That bag fills up. But it fails with the SandNet.

The diablo paper 80 grits seems to take longer and pads get clogged up at a much faster rate than mirkas.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The tiny makita dust collector works great for the Mirka paper. That bag fills up. But it fails with the SandNet.

The diablo paper 80 grits seems to take longer and pads get clogged up at a much faster rate than mirkas.
Eh, theres 'works well', then theres works well. Built in dust collection doesnt tell you much on a sander, they all suck in that regard. Well, dont suck. You get the point. The Mirka paper may just have the holes in the paper and pad line up better. The sanding screens will actually give better airflow when used with a vacuum and evacuate the dust better, but they also introduce an obstruction that the build-in collection wont be able to overcome.

Tl:Dr - Try the screens with a vaccum before writing them off

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #11 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Tl:Dr - Try the screens with a vaccum before writing them off
Agreed...I'm the type who refuses to turn on a sander unless it's hooked up to a vacuum. I'm pretty OCD about dust collection. The added bonus is that it extends the life of the paper quite a bit.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-22-2018, 10:47 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
This is a great conversation on the latest in sanding and I hope it continues. I have been wanting to try some of the new sanding products but I have been afraid it would be just a waste of money.

My Milwaukee sander does collect dust better than others I have used but as some have stated it's not as good as I would like. I made a downdraft table and between the two they do pretty well.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-23-2018, 06:52 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I made this rig for my sander using the bucket head vacuum. It works like a champ. It will come apart if necessary, but I made it to stay together to kind of force me to use the vacuum. I think the sander works better if it’s not just re-grinding the dust it made. With this rig, I never even see the dust on the surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	642A5813-CE98-4A9F-81AF-D1ED3DA013A2_1524477163251.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	357602  

post #14 of 14 Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I made this rig for my sander using the bucket head vacuum. It works like a champ. It will come apart if necessary, but I made it to stay together to kind of force me to use the vacuum. I think the sander works better if its not just re-grinding the dust it made. With this rig, I never even see the dust on the surface.
Beware of that setup as the filter for the vac is pretty bad. You don't see it but it throws a lot of dust back into the air from the exhaust. Not good stuff to breath in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode