Melamine joinery. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-18-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Location: About 25 miles north west of Bemidji MN but moving, need to ask for an extension
View brokenknee's Photo Album My Photos
Melamine joinery.

The wife would like cabinets for her craft room. She wants them to be made out of white melamine. My question is if I use pocket screws will that provide an adequate joint?

"Clarity to Agreement" Dennis Prager
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-18-2018, 08:04 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
The wife would like cabinets for her craft room. She wants them to be made out of white melamine. My question is if I use pocket screws will that provide an adequate joint?
I wouldn't use pocket screws at all on melamine. It's just particle board and won't hold very good. If you would just run a shallow dado wood glue would work well on it.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-18-2018, 08:13 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I made an entire kitchen from Melamine....

I can't help you with the pocket screw question, but I would caution against it. The particle board it's made from is not strong and will split easily. I drove some drywall screws into some pre-drilled pilot holes this weekend, white 1/2" Melamine and they split out in the edges, separating the two surfaces.

For the kitchen I made about 20 years ago, I made dados and rabbets for all the 90 degree joints and used Liquid Nails adhesive for the "glue". It sets up quite hard and bonds to the Melamine. It is a pain to work with and will stick to everything, especially your fingers. Wear Gloves.

The Melamine kitchen was not perfect, but was "temporary" for about 15 years, until I could afford the real Mission style Hickory cabinets which I ordered ready made. It's been a long while, but I think there was around 13 K in cabinets for all 3 rooms, kitchen, dining area and family room. The commercial ones aren't perfect either, but quite a ways above the Melamine version I built.

Melamine is very sharp and will cut you up when working with it. Wear non-slip rubber gloves when handling it. I don't envy you working with it.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-18-2018, 09:05 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Last time I did cabinets with melamine I just used dados and glue. As far as I know they're still holding together.

It's not bad to dream. But you also have to consider what's realistic. -All Might (Boku no Hero Academia)
post #5 of 9 Old 03-19-2018, 08:54 AM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
I have a shop full of 3/4" melamine cabinets that are all on casters. I have never used pocket screws on melamine, but I would avoid it.

You need to use particle board screws that have a deeper thread. Use dadoes with glue, or butt joints with particle board screws. Using butt joints and screws allows more thread to bite than a pocket screw would.

I also use 3/4" for the backs just screwed on. If you want them to look nicer, rabbet and glue the backs in, and they will be very solid

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...673417&ipos=14

Last edited by sanchez; 03-19-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-19-2018, 11:28 AM

View terryh's Photo Album My Photos
I use butt joints and PB screws. Exposed cabinet sides, as at the end of a run get covered with a panel (i.e. like a door). Would never consider pocket screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	349946  

Last edited by terryh; 03-19-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: adding photo
post #7 of 9 Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryh View Post
I use butt joints and PB screws. Exposed cabinet sides, as at the end of a run get covered with a panel (i.e. like a door). Would never consider pocket screws.
This, except I used dados and wood glue. Panels on the exposed ends.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Location: About 25 miles north west of Bemidji MN but moving, need to ask for an extension
View brokenknee's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the replies, after doing a little more research and reading everyone's comments here, I think I will try to convince her to go with paint grade plywood and paint it white.

"Clarity to Agreement" Dennis Prager
post #9 of 9 Old 03-19-2018, 08:03 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
another alternative is .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
Thanks for all the replies, after doing a little more research and reading everyone's comments here, I think I will try to convince her to go with paint grade plywood and paint it white.
Look into pre-finished plywood. It's only slightly more expensive than unfinished as far as I've heard. It comes in the usual species Oak, Birch, Maple etc.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode