MDO Exterior Table Top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

View stlsailor's Photo Album My Photos
MDO Exterior Table Top

The glass patio table top shattered due to temperature extremes. I plan to replace it with a 3/8" MDO plywood. The top is roughly 3.5' x 6' and is oval. My options for cutting it are an older low-end jigsaw (which I think will work better to cut the oval) or an older low-end 7-1/4" circular saw.

The MDO will fit into a channel on the table frame.

What is the best blade / technique for cutting the plywood to get the smoothest cut and the least splintering? Would like to do it in a few days, so prefer a blade I can get locally (or if it happens to be one I already have, so much the better).

I think I'll need four sawhorses to give stable support to the MDO while cutting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Circular saws are for cutting straight lines, very dangerous to try and cut a curve with one. How do you plan on sealing this against moisture?

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 02:53 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
More teeth per inch is what you want, though some of it depends on the saw. There are blades available that have no tooth set, that also helps with a smooth cut....both criteria make the saw cut more slowly, and you may even break a blade. If the saw has orbital action, it may cut a little cleaner (this is all in reference to the jig saw). Don't go for the metal cutting blades, the packages should have a description of the material the blade is made for. Cut with the work piece face down, that will give the face side the smoothest cut.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

View stlsailor's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Circular saws are for cutting straight lines, very dangerous to try and cut a curve with one. How do you plan on sealing this against moisture?
That confirms my thought of using the jig saw. I wasn't thinking about the danger aspect but knew that I probably couldn't do a very accurate cut with it. So far as sealing, I was thinking of a coat of primer, then a good exterior pain on all surfaces and the edges. I'm open for other suggestions.

Quote:
More teeth per inch is what you want, though some of it depends on the saw. There are blades available that have no tooth set, that also helps with a smooth cut....both criteria make the saw cut more slowly, and you may even break a blade. If the saw has orbital action, it may cut a little cleaner (this is all in reference to the jig saw). Don't go for the metal cutting blades, the packages should have a description of the material the blade is made for.
That helps.

Quote:
Cut with the work piece face down, that will give the face side the smoothest cut.
I assume you'd want a blade with teeth pointed up? That seems to be the case with most of the blades I have now.

I've read in the past that putting down blue painters tape of the cut can help with splintering, but don't know if that works with a jigsaw or not.

Tags
mdo, plywood, saw blade, table top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode