Woodworking Talk banner

Maybe my mistake will help someone!

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  TobyC 
#1 ·
When building glass rail and stile doors, I forgot to pre-stain the grooves prior to assembly.

:wink::wink:

#2 · (Edited)
oh my - how many do you have that was done this way ?
if you have some scrap wood and glass available, I would
cut the same groove and put the glass in and squirt some stain
in the grooves with a syringe of some sort and see how it goes.
[I've never done it - it is just something that I would try on some
sample pieces to see what works].

#3 ·
Most states wont let you purchase hypo needes in a pharmacy without a prescription of sorts. Sometimes if you ask the pharmacist, they will give you some. Now if you go to an agriculture supply store, you can buy all you want. They come in all diameter/sizes - no questions asked. I'm sure you could do the same with a veterinarian supply house. Or move to NYC where you get all you want from the state for free.

#10 ·
I live in NH and I go to a local hardware store and I purchase wood glue syringes. They are legal and easy to purchase and they don't work in any medical (legal or illegal) applications. I paid about $5 for a set ( s & l) and they are easy to clean with hot water.

#12 · (Edited)
Bashing the places where people live is rude and inappropriate, and does not belong in a woodworking forum. Such comments do not contribute to answering the OP's question.

People from all over the world make positive contributions to these forums. They are equal and active members of this community. Humor at other people's expense is not funny, at least not to them. All you do is display your own ignorance and lack of consideration when you insult the places where other members live. You are entitled to your own thoughts, but keep them to yourself and focus on the woodworking topic at hand.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have grown weary of such comments and feel a need to speak out.

#14 ·
Bashing the places where people live is rude and inappropriate, and does not belong in a woodworking forum. Such comments do not contribute to answering the OP's question.

People from all over the world make positive contributions to these forums. They are equal and active members of this community. Humor at other people's expense is not funny, at least not to them. All you do is display your own ignorance and lack of consideration when you insult the places where other members live. You are entitled to your own thoughts, but keep them to yourself and focus on the woodworking topic at hand.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have grown weary of such comments and feel a need to speak out.

?????????

Where was someone bashing where people live? I did not see this.

George

#18 ·
I thought the Kalifornia comment was quite funny (and accurate). Its in all the states to be fair, but seems more common here in Kalifornistan and by the way, I live in CA and have been here over 50 years. Yes, it was off subject but it was funny. Yes, I will be moving to the USA when I retire next April.

#21 ·
Just a thought. Glass shrinks when cold, and so working in the cold might open up enough clearance between the glass and the wood to allow wicking in some stain.

The problem I see with any staining attempt is if it doesn't work 100%, now you have two colors instead of just the wood color. I think it could end up looking worse if you can't get 100% coverage.

If you were to apply something in a thin band to the glass, it would make the viewable area of the window slightly smaller but would make it impossible to see the unstained groove. I was doing some work on my windows and many of them were painted sloppily, with the paint covering the rubber gasket and 1/4" or so of the glass. I don't think you could see the inside of the groove with that block in the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.