Woodworking Talk banner

Marking your Projects: Branding Iron?

15K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  Brian T. 
#1 ·
In preparation for the upcoming holidays, I'm looking for a quality method of marking my projects. I have thought of using an engraver, but I just don't have a steady enough hand.

I was originally leaning towards an electric branding iron that I can "stamp" my projects with before I finish them. Most seem pretty pricey. I was looking for something that says "Handcrafted By INSERT NAME HERE". It should look nice, but not overly fancy. Rockler sells them for over $140, which I feel is way too much.

Can anyone recommend a good method of "branding" a project? Or maybe a good source to buy something that I can do it with?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I just tried a method that worked very well. I printed a mirror image of a logo from a laser printer onto standard paper. Place the paper print side down on the project. Wet it with lacquer thinner and rub the image with a blunt instrument and the laser toner will transfer to the wood. I later tried to scratch the transfer off with my fingernail but I couldn't get it to come off.

Of course, you could always print onto a clear label and just stick it on.

#3 ·
I have one of the electric branding irons from Rockler. I actually recieved it as a gift last Christmas. It was something I always wanted but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on it. After owning it a year, I wish I had bought it sooner! It may be expensive, but it's easy to use and I find it very gratifying! Go for it!!!

#4 ·
captainawesome said:
I have one of the electric branding irons from Rockler. I actually recieved it as a gift last Christmas. It was something I always wanted but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on it. After owning it a year, I wish I had bought it sooner! It may be expensive, but it's easy to use and I find it very gratifying! Go for it!!!
I have looked Rocklers about 3-4 times, but can't bring myself to spend that much $$. If I could find one for less than $100 I'd probably get it.

Mark

#13 · (Edited)
My daughter gave me one of the propane torch models last year at Christmas. I think there may be an advantage to these (besides being a little cheaper), no coils to burn out. It does take a little practice to get the heat level right.

#7 ·
I got mine from brandnew.net. I got the torch heated one, and after a minor issue (that may or may not been a figment of my imagination) they voluntarily sent me a replacement.

I'm really happy with it, but I have learned that the simpler the design the better. I got a large tree with hand crafted by Ryan ******, and if found I a bit difficult to get a uniform burn into the wood. If and when I get another, it will be a less detailed brand.

I would however recommend brandnew.net 100%.

#8 ·
ryan50hrl said:
If and when I get another, it will be a less detailed brand. I would however recommend brandnew.net 100%.
Well it seems there are a few that recommend them so I may look into their irons. I hadn't actually thought of designing anything, but I could add a saw or something simple to my name. I may have to brainstorm ideas...

Mark

#10 ·
ryan50hrl said:
They have 5 pages of brand designs.... This is the one I got.... http://brandnew.net/estore/shopexd.asp?id=53 It looks great......when I can get it right. Works best on maple and closed grain woods.... Oak is a bit harder......
I like the design, but since I want an electric on, their prices are a bit much for me.

Mark

#11 ·
I brand all of my wood carvings with my own, custom-made, branding iron. Maybe 100, so far.
1. 8" and 10" spikes have 3/4" diameter heads.
2. Chalk up a file and smooth that down, maybe 800 grit paper to finish.
3. Draw your pattern (backwards) on the nail head.
4. Carve that with a Dremel and cut-off disks. 1/16" deep is plenty.
5. I torch the head, but every different wood has it's own "smoke temp."
= = = =
Big deal = my brand is 'RV' (what else?). Was easy to make, carving steel is OK fun, might have cost me a whole $0.75 for the nail and the Dremel cutoff wheels.

Think about it. I can't register my brand because I'm not burning livestock.

#14 ·
That's what I use. A dremel works pretty good. I also use a flex shaft Foredom tool with a variable speed foot switch. Either a straight cutter or ball end will work. Each has its quirks for how it carves. But, I agree, for a custom piece, the signing looks more personal when it's custom too. It just takes a little practice.
Box Wood Antique Furniture Rectangle

#15 ·
I have an electric one from Lee Valley. I think I paid around 100.00. It seemed a bit high but I didn't find anything much cheaper. I got the electric because I didn't want to deal with using a torch around wood and sawdust. I always practice on a piece of similar wood before I "brand" the finished piece.

I wished there was a way to also burn in the date.....now I just write the it underneath the brand.

#16 ·
When starting out, I was making book cases and wall shelves. I used the router with a pointed bit to write a full message. We took a shelf down recently and on the back was routered in script,
"Merry Christmas
from (me)
1990".
There is no question of the event, date, for whom, and from on those pieces. Unfortunately, you need a large flat concealed surface. It does bring nice memories of where we were in our lives at that time.

#20 ·
"Handcrafted By INSERT NAME HERE". It should look nice, but not overly fancy. Rockler sells them for over $140, which I feel is way too much.

Can anyone recommend a good method of "branding" a project? Or maybe a good source to buy something that I can do it with?
In the latest Rockler flyer $90.
http://www.rockler.com/customized-electric-branding-iron-gift-set-mail-in-offer

I have one of the manual heat ones.

http://www.brandnew.net/estore/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=3&cat=Custom+Irons

It is customized with my signature.

My viewpoint is that if you're going to do a lot of branding at one time, get an electric one. For one or two brands or less a day get the manual one.

The propane torch will have other uses like your neighbor changing a hot water heater. :laughing:

#21 ·
I will definitiely think about that Rockler electric one. I have access to a hand held torch, but I firgured I'd have more success with a good even burn if it were electric.

Based on the # of people using a branding iron, I wonder if people bought the torch-style because of $$ but would prefer the electric.

#22 ·
So I recently order one of those custom 2 line branding irons from Rockler and let me tell you the supplier is horrible. After 5 weeks I received my electric iron only to find they misspelled my last name.
So I call c.s and they assured me they would take care of it. Exactly one week later I received the new head only this time they had screwed up the milling process, but at least they got my name right.
I paid right close to $150 for this after shipping and taxes and this just didn't sit right with me so I called again. This time a fellow from the company that produces them calls me and we are talking about these "issues" and I ask why is the second one a different size than the first, by about 1/2" The border was a lot bigger than the first and he tells me when they gang mill them they use the largest border for all of them, meaning the maximum 20 charactes per line.
When they do them one at a time they do it right!?
His words not mine. Anyway third times a charm. I like it very much and it leaves a great brand. But What a pain in the kister!

#23 ·
I've looked at these a few times but have never taken the leap. Being a craftsman I have always wondered about making my own. i wouldn't be able to do the detail of a fancy cnc machine but I am wondering if I could carve something simple in brass or even in a piece of wood then cast it. t's been a few years since highschool casting class but i recall the basics. Another thing to mull over

#32 ·
If you google around there's a ton of tutorials on transferring print to wood. Some require a laser printer and other methods can use an inkjet. I found this one rather simple & straightforward.
..Jon..

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSfj6eiNzew
This looks a lot like water slide decals. For those of you doing this, try looking into clear "water slide" decals. They are even easier than the above method. I have used them several times to customize wood projects with sport logos, graphics, names, etc.
For repetitive branding , I'd recommend an electric iron though.... I got my iron from rockler and really like it.

#28 ·
I carved my own brand. RV 8" and 10" nails have 3/4" heads. Carve the steel with a Dremel and cutoff disks, add a nice wooden handle and I'm done. Very hard to copy should that ever be an issue. I think that I've spent no more than a dollar.
Every different wood seems to have its own cooking temperature. Torch & test in scrap.

I really like the laquer thinner transfer appearance. Can't imagine how easy that would be on a surface curved in two directions. Don't know how that might stand up with a choice of finishes.

My brand, smoked into the butt of a carving, = I'm done.

#29 ·
I carved my own brand. RV 8" and 10" nails have 3/4" heads. Carve the steel with a Dremel and cutoff disks, add a nice wooden handle and I'm done. Very hard to copy should that ever be an issue. I think that I've spent no more than a dollar.
Every different wood seems to have its own cooking temperature. Torch & test in scrap.

I really like the laquer thinner transfer appearance. Can't imagine how easy that would be on a surface curved in two directions. Don't know how that might stand up with a choice of finishes.

My brand, smoked into the butt of a carving, = I'm done.
I've applied it to curved surfaces, I've soaked mineral oil in and through it, stained over it, poly'd over it, shellac'd over it, danish oiled over it... and they've never smeared or worn away.

#30 ·
USMCSergeant said:
Seriously consider the laquer thinner transfer with a mirrored laser print. It's insanely easy, you can scale it to any size you need, and it is incredibly clear with practice. People ask me all the time where I got my brander from. Here's an example from one of my cutting boards.
lacquer thinner? That sounds different than the one J thomas linked above. I like how yours looks on the board and the fact that it can be finished different ways. Do you have a link for the method?
thanks

#31 ·
I personally use Acetone. Put your logo, or pretty much anything in a word processor, mirror image it, and print it on a laser printer, must be laser. Then ink down, hold it steady and wipe it a few times with an acetone soaked towel. Then before it completely dries take a dry towel and go over it again with some pressure. You should have a nice transfer. It takes a few times to master but it is very simple. Here is where I learned it:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.