Marketing your goods. Looking for feedback - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

View rcort777's Photo Album My Photos
Marketing your goods. Looking for feedback

Hey Guys,
My name is Cort. I'm new to this forum. I have just completed a project that took me over two years of part time work to finish (about half that time was spent scratching my head, it was a technically difficult piece). It is a little girl's bed made in the theme of Cinderella's pumpkin carriage. It is a high end piece with a lot of complex geometry and hand work. Now the fun part is over. It's done and the not so fun part begins: marketing. I started a website http://www.sweetdreamrenderings.com/ to display it, a blogsite to help with search engine optimization and posted it on Ebay. I've never done to craft fair circuits. They look like kind of a nightmare to me but I'm looking into it. This is what I finding: anyone selling art or crafts that you can find using search words on google has been at it for years. Search engine optimization is an art and it's ever changing. What I'm looking for is a well established site that would display my work along with similar artist/craftsmen for sale for a resonable fee and circulate it to its target market. If I cannot find such a site, then maybe I need to establish one. Does anyone have any leads, suggestions, or interest in being included if I decide to get a website going? My niche is children's theme stuff. This is the first time I'm attempted to market in an elite class but this is the market I need to reach. The bed I built is being offered for $75,000.

Last edited by Daren; 11-10-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: fixed link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 AM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
The link doesn't work, but I did eventually find the site though. Nice work.

Last edited by user4178; 11-10-2008 at 07:26 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Link doesn't work for me either, in Firefox or IE.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 07:43 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, that is some piece.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 07:46 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Just type it in, the link dont work.

That is an incredible piece, but $75K is $75K.
My suggestion would be to advertise in Architectural Digest.
Other than that, I would look up "American Craft" magazine, if they are still around and go after the major art galleries that advertise. They are very high dollar galleries. My final suggestion would be to go to the local playhouses and see if someone can get you in touch with the movie industry and try to find a place for the bed in a movie.
Thats the best I could come up with.

Wish you the best of luck.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #6 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM

View JackC's Photo Album My Photos
Very impressive. Does it knock down to get it through doorways?
post #7 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, that is seriously impressive.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 PM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful piece of work there. I would contact somebody here: sothebys.com and send them your link and maybe they would be able to point you in the right direction.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
post #9 of 13 Old 11-11-2008, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

View rcort777's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for your feedback

Thanks for your input. There is an explanation for the price in a blog that I wrote. The piece was designed and built for a class of people that don't think of 75K the same way that you and I do. The world has a growing population of billionaires. If you had billions, what would your little girl sleep in? At least that was the way I was thinking of it. Admittedly, my entreprenurial sense is not as good as my woodworking. I've gotten nibbles on it but no one has shown me the money. My blogsite is http://sweetdreamrenderings.blogspot.com Can't explain why my link doesn't work for some of you. Might be search engine dependent. I use google and it works for me. Someone asked if it breaks down so it will fit through a door. Where were you when I needed you?
Just kidding
Thanks again guys
Cort
post #10 of 13 Old 11-11-2008, 03:49 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Worked for me and any little girl would love one. You need an article written by a friend/journalist and published in middle east airline mag. Just the thing for that market and money does not matter.

The item is good enough for one of the top women's mags to do a feature on.
good luck, but producing one every two years will not make you rich.
johnep
post #11 of 13 Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Well Cort

That is one extremely impressive piece of work. After viewing it on your link I can see why it took you two years to complete it.
As you said, it is definitely not in the realistic realm of us everyday plodders, but here are people out here who can afford and appreciate such a finely crafted piece of furniture. Good luck with selling it.

Gerry
post #12 of 13 Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 PM

View LaurelLaneWoodWorks's Photo Album My Photos
Very, very impressive. Given the time it took you to build it, plus materials I wonder if $75K is enough. Although I can't say I would personally spend $75K on it, I'm sure someone who does weddings or other events would.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 AM
shop helper

View Patrick's Photo Album My Photos
That is a beautiful piece.I'm sure someone has the cash for it.Maybe submitting some pictures to a several magazines would help.I live in a pretty high-end area(Malibu,Beverly Hills,Manhattan Beach,Palos Verdes etc.).If you could get me some pics I could run it buy my boss and see what he thinks.I'm currently working on a tree house for adults.Some people have the coin for whatever they want.Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like.

~Patrick~

Tags
internet marketing, marketing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode