market for olive wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-10-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

View jeroen's Photo Album My Photos
market for olive wood

Hello woodworkers,
The farm I'm working on now will remove a lot of olive trees (O. europaea). We would prefer them to be made into nice objects instead of just being burned.
So we are looking how to market the wood as turning blanks or boards to make furniture.
If anyone could advice me on wholesale shops etc. I would be very grateful.

Note: I am not trying to sell the wood here, I'm aware of the forum rules. Just looking for advice how to get this wood on the woodworking market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I really don't have an answer for you. I am sure there are several here who would love to have some of the wood, but shipping costs from Greece would be rather high and may not even be allowed into the USA. Maybe find a lumber company there or someone with a saw mill who may be interested. It would be a real shame to burn that beautiful lumber.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-10-2017, 10:55 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
How do you plan on taking the trees down. Will someone be cutting the trees down with a chain saw or will a bulldozer be doing it? If someone will be cutting the trees down with a chain saw you might call around to local saw mills to see if they will come pick up the logs. The age of the tree might be an issue too. It seems they tend to be short and fat making the logs harder to handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-14-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
We are already looking for sawmills and other contacts. We will take the trees out ourselves with a bulldozer, they will ben uprooted completely. The hardest part for us will be in selling it i guess. Most of the trees are only suitable to make turning blanks I think, just the very old fat trees would be suitable to make boards.
Are there any europe based woodworkers here who could point me to the places where they buy their wood??
And does olive wood have to be completely dried before it is ready for working?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-14-2017, 08:48 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Any wood has to be completely dry before working it. Sometimes people will roughly turn wood to help the drying process and put the turning in a paper bag until it's dry but commercially the wood would need to be air dried for a very long time or kiln dried before it was usable.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-22-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply, were in the middle of the olive picking, and the harvest is huge this year.

Is the wood first dried and then cut up into boards and blanks, or the other way around?

Thanks for the replies so far.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-22-2017, 11:55 AM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Most olive wood I've seen for sale is in the form of slabs - usually 5"-8" wide and of varying length with the bark on one or both edges. The trees are usually felled and then milled and then dried. Once the target moisture level has been reached, they are sold. I'd look for a mill near you who you could sell the trees to. They may even come in and remove the trees for you.

Olive wood isn't cheap so it could very well be worth your while to resell the lumber.

Tags
market, olive, turning, wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode