Mantel out of MDF? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

View ol104's Photo Album My Photos
Mantel out of MDF?

My neighbors have been hinting around about me buidling them a mantel for their fireplace. Nothing too fancy, a simple box with some basic molding around the edges and attached/hung to wall using a cleat system.

The kicker is that they want to paint it white to match their trim. So no matter what type of material/wood I use it will end of up white.

I know that Poplar paints up really well but would there be any drawbacks to simply using 3/4 MDF?

I am still a novice when it comes to material strengths/weaknesses. I think making it out of solid wood would be the sturdiest construction but i also have a full sheet of MDF currently in the shop that can serve the purpose.

any opinions will be greatly appreciated....

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM

View Hutt's Photo Album My Photos
The only thing I would prolly worry about is the moisture around the fire place but it may not be a problem with yours
post #3 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I'd be concerned about mdf warping over the years......I've seen mdf sag where it isn't supported when it gets damp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 PM

View DannyT's Photo Album My Photos
i made a new mantle for the house we bought in 2010 out of a sheet of MDF. the whole mantle redo cost around 165.00 including tile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050458.jpg
Views:	3452
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	60816  

post #5 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
What? You think that MDF is going to warp like the mechanical properties of real wood? I hope not.
The floor sweepings and rubbish + glue that goes into MDF should allow for some modest, non-dimensional stability, yes? Some how, I doubt that MDF over a fireplace will get too awfully damp.

But then again, maybe a fire place might be like a billboard advert. All show and no go.
You run around the back and there's nothing to see. I say that only as where I live in the mountains, fireplaces are a daily source of light, heat and social comfort in the winter.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't use it for that purpose, just sayin

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #7 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 PM

View MrSlurpee's Photo Album My Photos
I would just go with poplar, especially if you are painting it. It's easy to work with, and its not that much more cost wise than MDF.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 AM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
I doubt that MDF over a fireplace will get too awfully damp.
I wouldn't bet too much money on that. If the fireplace isn't lit, it sets up a perfect place for moisture. Right where the hot air from your house meets cold.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 AM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
Most MDF these days should have moisture resistant glue to some extent. If you seal it all round (as I would suggest for timber also) it should be fine. MDF is used for so much it's not funny. Here in Australia and I imagine in USA, it is used for cabinets and kickers ( in wet areas ), kitchens, mouldings, trims, base boards ( in bathrooms as well ) dados, door frames, doors and I'm sure more. I've used it in wet areas, I've used it every where. I even used it to replace glass in a 3 x 3 window and it was facing the sun all day long with only a bit of spouting overhand to protect from the elements. After 4 years it looked like it was ready to be replaced.

Yes I have used it as a mantle. Have only seen problems when used to replace glass in a window or where there has been very poor protection from excessive water.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
post #10 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM

View jascotx's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't hesitate to use MDF in that application as long as you are sure to seal it well. I've used MDF as door panels 4 mud room cabinets and it turned out great. Just be sure to use a good primer coat or 2 and sand smooth to preference before applying a finish coat. For my white finish coat I used Benjamin Moore Impervo and I don't think any moisture is going to get through to that panel.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM
I <3 the smell of sawdust

View JohnnyTooBad's Photo Album My Photos
You are in Ohio, so you get all 4 seasons and humidity. Maybe put a coat of paint on the backs of all the pieces to keep condensation off it.

Does heat or quick, drastic temp changes affect MDF any more than a soft wood? I don't know the answer to that, but it's a question worth asking.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I would rather us a plywood, like Birch, Maple, or Poplar, as it would be lighter and hold fasteners better. Plywood and solid wood moulding would be less likely to get damaged, like scratched or dented.

post #13 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 PM

View ctwiggs1's Photo Album My Photos
I know a guy who made a very successful career out of that very same thing: Custom mantels he made out of MDF. they came out beautiful and were very sturdy.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
As luck would have it, I was looking at a newsletter I got today and it provided a link to download plans for building a nice fireplace mantel out of MDF. If you PM me your email address ill gladly send you the 6 page PDF document. Looked pretty nice and not too difficult.

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode