Making kitchen cabinet doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

View hatalbot's Photo Album My Photos
Making kitchen cabinet doors

I'm thinking of refacing my kitchen cabinets. The least expensive doors I've found is about $1,000. I currently have simple slab doors.

Got to thinking, could I remake the doors from hardwood veneer plywood? That would only cost about $140 in materials. Plan to put veneer tape on the cut sides, then paint the doors.

Being a woodworking newbie, I have a few questions:
  1. Is making doors this way a reasonable idea?
  2. Should I use 3/4" thickness plywood or is 1/2" OK? (My biggest door is 42"x19")
  3. Can I use a router to engrave a pattern on the doors?
  4. Has anyone does this and have suggestions or make me aware of other considerations?
Thanks in advance.
Hank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-05-2018, 11:35 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Plywood doors for kitchen cabinets is very common.
As for as the thickness of the plywood goes, you first need to choose a door style. A solid one piece panel or a frame and panel construction. The thickness for the one piece will be 3/4 but the panel for frame and panel can be only 1/4.
MDF is now commonly used for paint grade cabinet doors and drawers. The MDF does not have plys like the Plywood and the edges can be routed.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2018, 12:05 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
$1000 is a lot for unfinished slab doors, how many doors are you talking about?

The doors should be 3/4" thick especially if you plan on using European hinges. The cup hole is 1/2" deep. Anyway 1/2" thick doors would be prone to warp.

If you plan on engraving a design in the doors you would either need to use a type of plywood known as lumber core plywood or MDF. MDF doesn't do well in a kitchen because it is literally a sheet of paper and if any water gets past the finish it will swell up and ruin the door. MDF is also very heavy and on larger doors such as the 19"x42" it would require three hinges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2018, 08:44 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
Another option is rail and stile doors. The rails and stiles would be made out of solid wood and have a 1/4" plywood panel. You would need a router, router table, rail and stile router bits. If you wanted to get fancier you could create raised panels. A little more work than the slab doors.

Tags
kitchen cabinet doors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode