Making an exterior door frame? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

View Logan09's Photo Album My Photos
Making an exterior door frame?

Has anyone done it/ have pointers? An interior one seems pretty straight forward, but not sure on exterior.

My door is leading into my front porch which is an "Open porch" but will be closed off come winter. The door now is a cheap metal door with the frame(original frame ripped out) I found the original Douglas fir door down my basement and want to install that after I finish stripping the paint.

My question is how would I go about making sure there are no "drafts" coming through the door. I have never done this before. The original way the front door was set up was that there was another wood door on the outside like a storm door(My neighbors house is original 1900s and that's what they have) So I would assume that's how most of the elements stayed out. Plus the craftsmanship was superb back then.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There isn't very much difference between an interior door jamb and an exterior one. Usually the width of the stock used is the biggest difference. I normally use a water proof glue and use screws to assemble it rather than just nails. If it is in a location the bottom gets a lot of water I would probably use treated wood.

To prevent drafts, once the jamb is installed use Great Stuff expansion foam between the jamb and framing before you trim it out. Also make the door stop to accept a modern vinyl door weather stripping. The door stop just needs a rabbet on the edge of it to accept the weather strip. It would also help to put a rubber sweep on the bottom of the door too.
Attached Images

post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 08:31 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
I was about to answer but no need to now.Steve has given you abut the same advice I would have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 08:43 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I used a 2 piece jam

The main jamb was full width and the door stop, a separate piece, had a rabbet to accept the seal. That was way easier than trying to make it all in one piece. I hung the door and bumped the stop up to it and nailed it in place all around....a perfect airtight fit.

Here's my door:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f8/re...ak-door-11694/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-19-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode