Making a cylindrical object more straight - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

View Elvish's Photo Album My Photos
Making a cylindrical object more straight

Hi I have a art object made out of wood (obviously) shaped almost like a cylinder. It's about 36 cm tall and it's diameter is about 6 cm. The wood itself is extremly hard and dark (unfortunately I don't know what kind of wood it is, but I think it's from a root). Now, the problem with this object is that I want it to be able to stand straight on a flat surface, but the bottom is a bit tilted, so the whole object is "sloped" (it looks kind of like The Leaning Tower of Pisa when it's standing). I want to correct this, i.e. make the bottom straight, so that the whole object is standing straight. Now, since it's a art object, I don't want to put in a machine lathe or something, because I'm afraid it might be damaged then. So my question is how would you suggest making the object the way I want it. I.e. what kind of tools would you suggest to use and how - I'm especially wondering how to make it exactly straight - i.e. 90 degrees in relation to the cylinder height. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 11:16 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
A disk sander would work nicely. Just lay the piece on its side and gently push into the disk. you have quite a bit of control with a disk sander.

A STATIONARY belt sander would also work but just a tad riskier. If you don't grip the piece just right it could get ripped from your hand and flung across the room. A hand held belt sander in a vice or other steadying device would also work but raise the risk factor by 100.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 04-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Instead of straight I think you mean to say make the base square to the sides.

Tony's idea of a disk sander is good. Most disc sanders have a slot for a miter gauge. I think you would need to use this gauge.

The other possibility would be to cut it with a power miter saw. Or if you hand a hand saw miter box big enough that would also work.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-28-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

View Elvish's Photo Album My Photos
Disk sander sounds like a good idea. I guess it should not be too hard making the base orthogonal to the sides just by hand and eyesight, without any special tools.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, it should not be. I do it all the time.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #6 of 8 Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvish View Post
Disk sander sounds like a good idea. I guess it should not be too hard making the base orthogonal to the sides just by hand and eyesight, without any special tools.
By disk sander I'm assuming you mean a belt/disk bench/stand type sander like this. If one isn't handy, hand tools work well. One of my most used hand sander tools is an easy shop made block sander made from hand held belt sander belts. I make them for 3"x21" and 3"x24" belts. Just between those two sizes there are many choices for belt types and grits. They look like this...
Making a cylindrical object more straight-11l0y2u.jpg

post #7 of 8 Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 AM

View Longknife's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvish View Post
Hi I have a art object made out of wood (obviously) shaped almost like a cylinder. ......!
That's a bit of a contradiction. Either it is a cylinder or it is not.
If it is a cylinder there wouldn't be any problem to get the bottom square to the sides using the above mentioned methods.

If it's not cylindrical then you need to get the bottom square to the center of the object. To achive that you may have to make som kind of jig to hold it in the right position before you get it to the disc sander or miter saw.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 PM

View Cliff's Photo Album My Photos
table saw or chop saw, a miter blade, a couple layers of blue tape wrapped tightly around the end to be cut with the same around the other end to make it lie straight.

And If I understood your efforts at describing the geometry you are hoping to achieve the proper way to say it is " Squaring" You want to square the end of the cylinder.

Hey~!!! It's a hobby~!! It's not supposed to make sense.

Last edited by Cliff; 04-29-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode