Woodworking Talk banner

Making a cyclone adapter for a steel drum

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeff Walters 
#1 ·
I have a cyclone with a 6" opening on the bottom. I have a steel drum with a 23" diameter top. I want to put them together. How would you do it?

I'm thinking about cutting the top off of the drum, leaving about an inch or so inside the rim. Then I could cut a round top out of 3/4" plywood to fit just inside the rim. I could put some sort of gasket (the type used around doors?) around the edge of the plywood to make a seal and then cut a 6" hole in the plywood lid to fit the cyclone.

Does that sound reasonable? Also, is there any good way to be able to check how full the thing is getting without removing the lid? I'm thinking that a plexiglass window would get too dusty to be useful.

Thanks for any ideas.

Rob

#2 · (Edited)
Hey Rob

I use fiberboard drums on all my dust collectors at about $8 to $10 apiece. 30 gals I believe. Have a few spares so when I need to change tjem out in a hurry I don't have to make the trip out to the compost in the dead of night or the cold. The weight of the steel drum and it's contents might get a tad heavy. The fiber/cardboard one come with steel lids that lock on. Just a thought...:thumbsup: bill

Attachments

#3 ·
I use fiberboard drums on all my dust collectors at about $8 to $10 apiece. 30 gals I believe. Have a few spares so when I need to chage out in a hurry I don't have to make the trip out to the compost in the dead of night or the cold. The weight of the steel drum and it's contents might get a tad heavy. The fiber/cardboard one come with steel lids that lock on. Just a thought...:thumbsup: bill

Bill,

Where do you get your drums at? Also, how do you seal between the dust collector and drum?
Tom

#4 · (Edited)
I googled fibreboard drums

And found a place down in Detroit. Other places carry them new, U-line. These were used but clean. Powders come in them, possibly soap. You might find some locally. As to sealing between the collector and drum...that took some "thinking" as C Man would say!:laughing: Tractor Supply Corp has some feed tubs that are just the right dia. Foam weather sealing strips are laid down in the lips, you need 2, a top and bottom, with the rest of the tub jig-sawed away so you just end up with the lips and about 2" of vertical tub. Then you tape the two parts together with electrical tape and one goes on the drum,the other is upside down and the collector sits on top of that. Bungee cords hold the whole thing down. There are no legs anymore, just the drum, and I could use the bags as liners, but I don't. Usually when the drum is full it's time to clean the filter, so it all comes apart and gets cleaned. It's a dusty job and it helps to have another DC running right next to it and the room air filtratation running above and a mask on.....Whew! :thumbsup: bill

#6 ·
And found a place down in Detroit. Other places carry them new, U-line. These were used but clean. Powders come in them, possibly soap. You might find some locally. As to sealing between the collector and drum...that took some "thinking" as C Man would say!:laughing: Tractor Supply Corp has some feed tubs that are just the right dia. Foam weather sealing strips are laid down in the lips, you need 2, a top and bottom, with the rest of the tub jig-sawed away so you just end up with the lips and about 2" of vertical tub. Then you tape the two parts together with electrical tape and one goes on the drum,the other is upside down and the collector sits on top of that. Bungee cords hold the whole thing down. There are no legs anymore, just the drum, and I could use the bags as liners, but I don't. Usually when the drum is full it's time to clean the filter, so it all comes apart and gets cleaned. It's a dusty job and it helps to have another DC running right next to it and the room air filtratation running above and a mask on.....Whew! :thumbsup: bill

Hi There,

What is the name of the place in Detroit where you got the drum. I am in Troy MI and have not found anyone i the area with them to sell or give away excepts for a few places that a very pricey.

Jeff

#9 · (Edited)
Not sure if its a 55 Gallon drum or not but if it is. It will be very heavy.

Edit: Woodnthings said it before me. I use a 55 Gal plastic drum. However I was thinking if its a cycloe your only going to have a 6" hole for the debris to fall in and you'll be able to use a liner I'm sure. I would still put the drum on casters.

If I understand you correctly your looking to connect the 6" hose to the drum. I would cut the 6" hole and use a HAVC fitting like this.

#10 ·
Using something other then a Fiber Drum

Since I have been unable to find a fiber drum in my area, I was wondering if anyone has tried anything different like a steel garbage can with a tight fitting lid. Maybe even some weatherstripping inside to help with air leakage.

I am open to ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.